Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Losing Puppies Need Medical Info

I need help coming up with answers.Two entire litters has gotten sick 15 puppies total. I am working with two Vets have been in their office the last three days in a row. Have a viral intestinal problem that is very Parvo like in symptoms but Lab results are negative for Parvo looking for any ideas on possible causes.

symptoms include bloody stools, some with shooting diarrhea,some with a light custard colored stool, some puppies are vomiting, varying degrees of dehydration, not eating, some go downhill quickly (in hours not days)

three puppies have died pattern is dehydration, fever , involuntary lose of bowel movements then death.

first puppy that showed signs has recovered without medical attention , second puppy was first to visit Vet Giardia was found and suspected culprit all dogs and puupies placed on Metranidozole. Puppy sub q'd , penicillin and antivomiting meds given puppy continued to decline despite care and died after 2 days, two more puppies got very sick and within hours died . One of those puppies died while at the Vet's office. He was autopsied. Lab results will not be back for 5 to 7 days Vet found everything but colon was perfect. No worms giardia, cocci, or Campylobacteriosis found in puppy.... We have 5 more puppies in varying degrees of health being sub q'd 3x a day, all puppies (and ever other dog I own) on Metranidozole, all puppies are getting penicillin as well. We have several puppies in varying stages of recovery.

Now with the history does anything come to mind that we could have missed? any viral or infection that could strike puppies like this that? I have not been to any dog shows etc... puppies were vaccinated at 6 weeks and began failing approx 7/10 days later (manufacturer has been notified in case), I'm just looking for any help any suggestions to find out what could have caused this while waiting for the autospy results

Re: Losing Puppies Need Medical Info

I have no idea but wish you the best. So sad.

I would recommend trying SMZ-TMP suspension on them and see if that helps. We have had several litters that this has worked great on and still to this day don't know what they had. They had alot of the same symptoms your puppies have. Once starting it, we noticed results within hours, back to nursing, eating, drinking, and no vomiting.

I have been told by my vet, its a safe drug. How old are your puppies? The youngest we have used SMZ-TMP was on a litter that was 1 1/2 weeks old. We even sent stool samples off.

Could they have picked something up at the vet's office when they were in for shots? Not everything contagious is airborne... i.e.; herpes can be spread from puppy to puppy by handling, not limited to newborns. Might ask at the clinic was anyone handling/treating anything contagious the day you had puppies in that might produce such symptoms. Seven-ten days sure sounds like it could be the incubation period for "something".

Canine Herpes? If so you need a very HEATED area for the pups

"herpes can be spread from puppy to puppy by handling, not limited to newborns. "

I better clarify... the Herpes virus can be spread as an airborne aerosol, and that aerosol may contaminate clothes, and spread/carried to other puppies that way with having it on clothes.

There is something called Coronavirus infection. This virus belongs to the Coronaviridae family. Among the symptoms are an orange colored stool with a very bad smell. Vomiting too, and diarrhoea. Sometimes there is blood in the feces.
Coronavirus is very contagious.
Just a thought.

That is the EXACT thing I was dealing with, had autopsies done and everything....Neomycin Sulfate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Losing Puppies Need Medical Info

They will drink and drink and drink and drink.......??

If you want to call me I'll tell you exactly what happened with mine, I kept every single note from begining to end. You don't have much time and it won't go away with this litter! it will return again and again.

440-858-9601

Check water source for ecoli.

First of all, I'm very sorry you are dealing with this. What a nightmare for you.

Secondly, I wonder if its not possibly dog crud

'xxx' what was the diagnosis, not just what worked. Did necropsy show anything?

Barbara-With all of the people recommending just medications in recent weeks please double check with your vet prior to administering anything other than they advise.

I am so sorry you and pups are going through this. Good thoughts w/all of you.

P.S. Have you allowed buyers to come in that might have brought something to the pups from another breeder?

My vote would be Coronavirus too. We have had it in my area,lower SE.

I appreciate everyone's input so far... Dog Crud, Corona, Herpes, Parvo have all been considered I'm looking for stranger things out of the ordinary ...something you wouldnt normal hear of or think of

This update is to clarify some things
Puppies have never left my property , vaccinations were done here at home
My last dog oriented event was in May along with my last Vet visits prior to this
Puppies had visitors but noone was allowed in puppy area just a look/see 14 days prior to first puppy was noticable sick
Puppies had visitors they were allowed to play with day of first sick puppy
I have yard specific shoes each yard type has it's own shoes that are desiginated for that area only
If I go out I shower before attending to dogs and puppies

suspected sources of contamination
3 loads of dirt from garden center brought in to freshen play area?
old pine dug up and removed from potty area all new bags replacing it?
vaccinations done 10 days and 7 days prior to first sick puppy?

PLEASE keep the suggestions coming....

That's why I left my phone number!!

What about the canine influenza virus? It's so sad to hear of these puppy tragedies. We're here to support you.

Re: Re: Re: Losing Puppies Need Medical Info

How about toxins, exposure to mold or mushrooms in the dog yard? I'm so sorry for what you are going through...you must be terrified and heartbroken about these babies. My thoughts are with you....Maybe one of the wonderful Vets that are kind enough to offer advise and expertise will see your posts and come up with an answer for you.

Re: Re: Re: Losing Puppies Need Medical Info

Replying to:
Name: xxx

Instant Messenger: ,1
---
That's why I left my phone number!!

And is this one of your web-sites? It has the phone number you left as do a few others.

http://dgm2005.tripod.com/

Maybe we should leave the medications to the vets and give suggestions of bacteria's or illnesses as we have been for the breeder to suggest. So sorry to be like this at such a difficult time for this responsible breeder who has been losing their pups and done everything right.

so sorry to hear this,a suggestion would be :
Have you checked the dog food you are feeding then for any signs of toxin ,especially with the wheat source.

rotavirus, reovirus, herpes enteropathy

rotavirus, reovirus, herpes enteropathy
Has anyone had experiences with these ? these are a few of the things one of my vet's has thought of ...
this is an ugly bug one that is being very difficult to diagnosis and I'll tell you waiting for test and autopsy results sucks!

Update on the puppies
2 of them are eating ,playing , and have pudding poop both are puppies that were being sub q'd
2 of them still need sub q but are starting to eat alittle fevers have been as high as 105.5 but are coming down to the 103 range
1 is sadly gravely ill
the other 7 puppies all seem to be riding the storm out without supportive care and responding well to the meds

I think that so far I'm doing everything I can and doing it right because I was told to expect losing all or most of them and I've not lost one since the round the clock care started but I am afraid for the one baby

I am the sort of person that needs answers to how and why what this is. So please keep your suggestions coming or experiences if you have similiar. My best friend is helping me she has llamas and goats and she's been using her farm forums to try for answers too. One of the gentlemen responding to her is a retired Vet that now does lab research on just this sorta stuff. So we are getting lots of good info on viruses but you never know who will have that one missing piece .....
thanks again for the support and input

Did the vacine you gave them have lepto in it? This can cause the illiness then eventually death in pups. Please keep them hydrated(subQ's)Puffs of Gluscose under the skin. Also give them bene bac to give good bacteria in their symtems again until reg. from all the meds and stress. good luck

Re: Re: Re: Re: Losing Puppies Need Medical Info

I left my phone number to share the info that I have with her, mine and what I have from the vets...all I know is this...I also had 2 litters of puppies at the time this happened, I worked with 2 different vets at 2 different offices and they were stumped too. I kept loosing puppies, I walked the floor with them, they would go off of food in a matter of what seemed like minutes, they would vomit until they would just wretch, they would get the runs so bad it was like projectile, then it would be almost gritty like, they would not run a fever, they would drink and drink and drink then they would "pickle up" in body mass and at the end they would have this bloody watery stool that would release just before death. They perscribed amoxi, then metrondizole, then flagyl, then albon, then combinations...NONE OF THOSE WORKED. At first, they said cocci, nope not it, then Giardia, nope not it, Parvo, no way, we all know what that smells like, Corona, nope, chances are now that if they do find cocci or the likes it will be secondary to what she has going on as the immune system is so comprimised. I'm only trying to help and am offering ALL the info I have to her so she can compare notes with her vet.
Barbara, If it's anything like this, I feel for ya. It happened to me 9 years ago and THANK GOD I haven't even had a cse of cocci since!!

P.S. The web site was done by a little girl from the Vo-Ed, it was her very first one and she was so proud I didn't have the heart to tell her. Look for my new one in September.

I would suspect the dirt you brought in or maybe you disturb something that was growing under when you dug it up.

Any new news?