Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA recommendation Riverside Ca.

I just moved to Riverside California and am brand new to Labs. I have my first showgirl and she just turned 2. I want to get her final OFA done and have no idea who to go to. Is there anyone in the area that could give me a referral to a vet that does this procedure on a routine basis? I don’t want to go to my neighborhood Vet. I'm willing to travel any distance to a good Vet who knows how to do them right.
Also, do you recommend sedation or just restraint? I’d be very interested in knowing seasoned breeders thoughts on sedation verses restraint and the outcome of x-rays done with both.

Mucho Gracias

Re: OFA recommendation Riverside Ca.

You may want to send Susan Eberhardt (Saddlehill Labradors) or Sandra Flannigan (Kinta Labradors) an e-mail to see who they use locally - they are both in Riverside. A lot of us in San Diego take our labs to Newport Beach Veterinary for OFA x-rays. Appointments take a while to get, so you'll need to be patient. The drive will be a couple of hours for you (via the 91, then South on the 5 or you can go up and over the Ortega Hwy). Feel free to e-mail me privately.

The best local option for Riverside is Dr. Butchko.
http://www.drbutchko.org/

They do not make appointments so the wait can be long at times but they do them without sedation and do a good job with positioning.

There is another local vet that runs a clinic twice/year but I think Dr. Butchko does a better job with positioning. JMO.

Yep Butchko is a good local option. I have done many of my kids at his office.

There also is Newport Beach Vet Hospital (949)722-8152. They do an excellent job. They make appointments way in advance so don't expect to get in tomorrow. Their office is in Newport Beach about an hour 15 minute drive from Riverside on a good day. Longer when there is traffic.

Good Luck with your OFAs ~ Julie

Re: Re: OFA recommendation Riverside Ca.

Hi,

I love my vet in Orange County, she does great xrays and most everything else. Have been going to Dr. Lorrie Boldrick 714-997-3686 for over 30 years......I worked for her til we moved to Riverside 10 years ago. I still make that drive. You usually can get an appt in a few days.......she will give you her opinion of the xrays also. The dogs love it, you aren't kept waiting,and her office is right off the 55 freeway and Katella.

Susan