Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ohio Bill SB 173 in Danger of Passing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please everyone check out the other messages on this forum regarding this bill. The people behind it are trying to rush it through. It will affect all of the dog owners in Ohio. It is not a good bill as written. It will not "just get rid of puppy mills and dog auctions" as some supporters are trying to say.
It will impact anyone who owns a dog in Ohio.
They want to end ALL BREEDING and SHOWING!
They are trying to trample on my rights and yours too!
Please contact your elected officials before it is too late. Thanks!

Re: Ohio Bill SB 173 in Danger of Passing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I urge all of you that are Ohio residents to contact your legislator AND cc Mr. Cates with your comments see below. This is what happens when uninformed but self-important law makers write vague and overly broad legislation. Ambiguous language makes every body a criminal! DON'T ignore this - it is very serious stuff!!!
This is CROSSPOSTED from a Legislative Liason list:

The alert that I posted was sent to me by one of my members from an Ohio dog list that she is on.

I read the bill and wrote the paragraph below - these are not "scare tactics" - this is directly from the bill:

The wardens and deputies shall have the same police powers as are conferred upon sheriffs and police officers in the performance of their duties as prescribed by sections 955.01 to 955.27, 955.29 to 955.38, and 955.50 to 955.53 of the Revised Code. They shall also have power to summon the assistance of bystanders in performing their duties and may serve writs and other legal processes issued by any court in their respective counties with reference to enforcing such those sections.

No owner of a dog, except a dog constantly confined to a registered dog kennel registered under this chapter or a regulated dog breeding kennel licensed under Chapter 956. of the Revised Code, shall fail to require the dog to wear, at all times, a valid tag issued in connection with a certificate of registration. A dog's failure at any time to wear a valid tag shall be prima-facie evidence of lack of registration and shall subject any dog found not wearing such a tag to impounding, sale, or destruction.

(F) "Regulated dog intermediary" means a person who sells, offers to sell, exchanges, auctions, or offers for adoption more than twenty-five dogs annually in this state. For purposes of the definition of "regulated dog intermediary" and in calculating the twenty-five dog annual threshold, any puppies sold, offered for sale, exchanged, auctioned, or offered for adoption by the person that are born as a result of breeding a dog that is kept, housed, or maintained by the person for breeding purposes shall be excluded if the person keeps, houses, or maintains eight or fewer dogs for such breeding purposes. "Regulated dog intermediary" does not include an animal rescue for dogs, an animal shelter for dogs, a humane society established under Chapter 1717. of the Revised Code, a medical kennel for dogs, a research kennel for dogs, or a veterinarian.

His response seems a bit defensive. Also, how are they going to pay for this bill? What are the costs of all these dog wardens? Some of the language in this bill sounds like it came directly from the proposed PA Dog law that received a scathing report by the consultant who reviewed the comments.

And what is the intent of this bill? If it is to regulate puppy mills, then those are USDA registered and they should work with that group to ensure compliance.

Linda Hartheimer
Legislative Liaison
Weimaraner Club of America

One of our members who contacted her Senator who happens to be the sponsor of SB173 got the following response in reply to a letter opposing SB 173 - suggestions/comments, I have no familiarity with this bill and was going with what was said on the earlier e-mail to the list that

This bill would place burdensome restrictions on hobby breeders, micromanages dog housing and care, institutes vendor licenses and gives animal control officers the same authority as police officers.

This is what was written in the letter to Sen and it provoked the following response:

"I am the sponsor of the bill. I would like to know where you are getting your information from. You are being misinformed as to what the bill does and quite frankly I don't like people who use scare tactics. Please let me know who is feeding this misinformation to you.

Gary Cates
State Senator"

Comments/suggestions?

Virginia Rowland
FBDCA Legislative Liaison

Wow - that's scary - it sure sounds like the Senator doesn't even know what's in the bill. I wonder what he "thinks" is in this bill???

We are being inundated from all sides in our fight to keep our rights as Americans, whether it's breeding dogs as we see fit, disciplining our kids, or worshiping however we want. It's a scary time and frankly, I'm concerned that the US of A will be unrecognizable in a few years!

Re: Re: Ohio Bill SB 173 in Danger of Passing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm concerned that the US of A will be unrecognizable in a few years"

I'm afraid I agree with you. Our rights that we have enjoyed for such a long time are slowly being eroded.
JMO

Donna

I just read part of the Ohio bill. Does anyone know what they are basing (the need for this bill) on? Looks like a revenue generator for one, and a big waste of taxpayer money. Hobby breeders and others are likely to be paying state income tax or sales tax in the future too. Does this sound plausible?

Your right on that one with the tax generator, I call the bill "Lost Revenue". Our kennel pays taxes to the state and the IRS we had it set up that way, so in a way we will be double taxed. There is too much in both bills that state "To be Determined"? That is almost as scary as the bill itself. Also, since when do citizens of the US have to be finger printed and background checked unless you are going to be bonded?
I think this terrorist thing has gone too far!!!
Are our State Representatives Finger Printed or is there a background check done on them? Why would they want to give the Warden and the deputies the same police powers as are conferred upon sheriffs and police officers? Do the Wardens and deputies go to the same school for police officers too get certified? I think this whole bill sucks!! Write your Senator and tell them that you are sorry you elected them if you did and you will see that they don't serve again!

There is a hearing scheduled for tomorrow on SB 173 at 10:00 a.m. according to the Ohio News Network Schedule of Legislation.

This site albeit, banning pit bulls, , discusses the proposed bill

http://www.nopitbullbans.com/?p=415

Have sent letters and e mails to all representatives that I can think of as well as sending regular information to everyone I know. Hopefully, they will all do the same.

When reading the bill several times over trying to make sense of it, there are allot of questions not answered, but why do they mention sale of dog and Auction? I thought that we were against the Auctioning of our dogs and that the majority of dogs sold in a auction were from puppy mills???? So, if that is true, then why are they even mentioning auction? They should be writing a bill against the auction of dogs. This bill is NOT AGAINST PUPPY MILLS, is there is a mention in it about auction!
It will be interesting who votes how on this and the ones that vote for it should not serve another term in office!

In reference to the last poster's comments, I really don't want to wait and see how everyone votes before I say anything. IF it passes, yes, we can then vote someone out in a future election, but the damage will have been done. PLEASE contact your senator/representative today and let them know your opinions on this bill.

Let's not sit back and get run over by the HSUS/PETA train!

One day they're all worried about homeland security. Now they have nothing better to do? Are these people so lame..are they so desperate to get their names on legislation that they have to pick on dog breeders?

The amount of money that the "Humane Pac" and HSUS and peta gives to lawmakers is astounding. Those people get misinformation from the AR agenda and don't get any real feedback from reputable breeders. So they believe the people with the money that beat their eardrums day in and day out.

I already wrote everyone that I could think of that is going to vote on this. I just thought it is going to interesting as to how they vote, you are right, don't wait, don't let this bill pass!!!!

This was an emailed that I received -- Apparently it's an "AR" and also notice she puts her business advertisement in it

To: info@columbustopdogs.com
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 11:53 AM
Subject: UPDATE: S.B. 173 (Puppy Mill Bill): First Hearing, Sponsor Testimony (rescheduled)

Dear Companion Pet Lovers ~

Just a quick update regarding S.B. 173 - http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=127_SB_173:

EVENT:
Committee: Senate State & Local Government & Veterans Affairs
Chairman: Senator Gary Cates

HB 50 JUNK VEHICLES (Evans)
SB 84 EMERGENCY AGENCIES (Schaffer)
SB 173 DOG BREEDING (Cates). This is a re-introduction of first hearing, sponsor testimony (originally scheduled to take place last Tue., 6/19).
SB 185 PUBLIC LIBRARIES (Schuler)

DATE:
Tue., Jun. 26, 2007

TIME:
10:00 A.M.

Columbus, OH

Senator Gary Cates
Office: 614-466-8072
Email: SD04@mailr.sen.state.oh.us
Website: http://www.senate.state.oh.us/senators/bios/sd_04.html

If you haven't done so already, be sure to contact your Senator - http://www.senate.state.oh.us/senators/index.html - asking for their full support of this Bill!

For more information on weekly Legislative Schedules for the Ohio House of Representatives and Senate, visit:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OH_XGR_SKED_OHOL-?SITE=OHONN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration.

Mary O'Connor-Shaver
Pet Consultant #462
Cell: 614-271-8248
Columbus Top Dogs (Shure Pets)
http://www.columbustopdogs.com
http://www.BanOhioDogAuctions.com

There are 45 cats and dogs for every person born. Only 1 out of 10 dogs born ever get a home. Only 1 out of 12 cats born ever find a home. 800 dogs & cats are KILLED each HOUR in the U.S, because there are not enough homes for them. Opt to adopt. Don't buy from a pet store!
-----------------------------------------------------

Also, it seems that Pedigree is supporting this bill and the one in CA --
Also - Pedigree is supporting this bill ( California & Ohio ) along with the American Humane
> Association. Here are a couple of letters to send to Pedigree that can be
> used. Also, noted by Lynn Underwood, a Whippet breeder in California, it
> is legal to turn your "Pedigree" arm bands (conformation & obedience
> trials) with the log side down in the ring. Just write your armband number
> on the blank side. I will do this in July and it will be interesting to see
> how many other exhibitors are doing this.
> >We are in a fight for our right to breed dogs in California and soon to
> >be in Ohio. Pedigree dog food has sided with the animal rights activists.
> >Please read below and please let Pedigree know that you are boycotting
> >all the products listed below. Please help defeat California AB 1634.
> >
> >I think the dog show world going against Pedigree is being noticed.
> >
> >In addition to sending this to everyone you know who loves dogs (and
> >other pets) and/or values his/her civil rights, please send it to
> Pedigree:
> >
> >Put on the pressure!! I think a few more emails wouldn't hurt. PLEASE
> >COPY AND I-MAIL THE LETTER BELOW TO PEDIGREE. YOU CAN CONTACT THEM BY
> >GOING TO (http://www.pedigree.com/ - select 'contact at the lower left
> >and pick a venue. Please fill out the form with your information.
> >Pedigree/Mars must know that we are serious about this!!
> >SAMPLE LETTER #!
> >To the management of Pedigree:
> >I want to advise you that I intend to boycott all products manufactured
> >and sold by Mars/Masterfoods. The reason? I love , own, breed and show
> >dogs and Pedigree is opting to help the Animal Rights groups eliminate
> >our civil rights to own a pet.
> >One of the big donors to AHA (American Humane Association) is Pedigree.
> >AHA is a supporter of AB1634 in California. Until AHA withdraws its
> >support of this bill or Pedigree withdraws its support of AHA, I will
> >not buy any Mars/MasterFoodServ or support the AHA, if I am handed a
> >Pedigree
> >armband while at a dog show, I will turn it over and write the number on
> >the other side. Pedigree will not be receiving any free publicity from me.
> >
> >My intention is to send this note to everyone in my address book, and
> >urge each of them to send it to everyone in their address books.
> >
> >Please, reconsider what Pedigree's support of animal rights activists
> >will do to our right to own pets. There are other ways for your company
> >to help shelter dogs find good homes.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >******************
> >SAMPLE LETTER #2
> >
> >To the Management of Pedigree:
> >
> >I have recently learned of Pedigree’s support of the Animal Rights
> >movement through its association with the American Humane Society (AHS).
> >Not only is AHS against hunting and the use of animals in biomedical
> >research, it is a major supporter of AB1634 in California, the bill that
> >requires the mandatory sterilization of all dogs and cats by the age of
> >4 months.
> >
> >Because of this, despite being a regular customer of your products, I
> >will be boycotting all Pedigree products immediately and will be
> >advising all my clients, associates, club members and friends to do the
> >same. The Animal Rights movement is behind the anti animal legislation
> >being introduced around the country and is actively working to eliminate
> >the rights of the animal owning public to make decisions about their
> >animals.
> >
> >Until AHA withdraws its support of AB1634 or Pedigree withdraws its
> >support of AHA, I will not buy any Pedigree products. If I am handed a
> >Pedigree branded armband while at a dog show, I will turn it over and
> >write the number on the other side. Pedigree will not be receiving any
> >free publicity from me.
> >
> >I will be sending this note to everyone in my address book, and will
> >urge each of them to send it to everyone in their address books. As a
> >breeder, AKC licensed judge, dog show exhibitor and member of seven
> >different dog clubs, this will be a considerable number of people.
> >
> >Please, reconsider your support of the AHS and the Animal Rights
> >movement. There are better ways for your company to help alleviate the
> >problem of unwanted pets ­ like the funding of no/low cost spay/neuter
> >clinics for needy communities.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >
> >*************************************************************************************************************
>
> >Remember it is legal to turn your "Pedigree" armbands (conformation &
> >obedience trials) with the logo side down in the ring. Just right your
> >armband number on the blank side.
> >

AKC Continues to Monitor Ohio Breeders Bills
Print This Article
[Monday, June 25, 2007]
The American Kennel Club Canine Legislation Department continues to monitor developments with Ohio Senate Bill 173, and its companion, House Bill 223. SB 173 will be considered by the Ohio Senate Local Government and Veteran’s Affairs Committee tomorrow, Tuesday, June 26th, at 10AM, during which only legislative sponsor and proponent testimony will be heard. No testimony from constituents in opposition to this bill will be heard tomorrow. The Ohio Legislature is scheduled to begin its summer recess next week and further consideration of SB 173 by the Senate Local Government and Veterans Affairs Committee will occur only when the legislature reconvenes, most likely in early September.

The AKC has been monitoring and addressing the situation in Ohio since July 2006, when the original House Bill 606 was introduced. The Canine Legislation Department will continue to monitor and report developments in Ohio as they warrant.

For further information, contact AKC’s Canine Legislation Department at (919) 816-3720, or e-mail doglaw@akc.org.

In response to Debi P. posting...

I am a degreed professional, work full time as a divisional administrator for one of the world's largest providers of financial electronic commerce services and products and the proud owner of five rescued canine companions.

Contrary to Debi's posting, I am not an "AR" person and my "business advertisement" is a part-time business which I started for fun on the side in May, 2005 (100% of my profits are donated to various rescue groups, including but not limited to, labrador rescues across Central Ohio).

Since our start, Columbus Top Dogs has grown to a team of 16 and we have proudly donated over $43,000 in cash and in-kind contributions to over 30 rescue organizations in Franklin, Delaware, Licking and Fairfield counties.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

This was an emailed that I received -- Apparently it's an "AR" and also notice she puts her business advertisement in it

To: info@columbustopdogs.com
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 11:53 AM
Subject: UPDATE: S.B. 173 (Puppy Mill Bill): First Hearing, Sponsor Testimony (rescheduled)

Dear Companion Pet Lovers ~

Just a quick update regarding S.B. 173 - http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=127_SB_173:

EVENT:
Committee: Senate State & Local Government & Veterans Affairs
Chairman: Senator Gary Cates

HB 50 JUNK VEHICLES (Evans)
SB 84 EMERGENCY AGENCIES (Schaffer)
SB 173 DOG BREEDING (Cates). This is a re-introduction of first hearing, sponsor testimony (originally scheduled to take place last Tue., 6/19).
SB 185 PUBLIC LIBRARIES (Schuler)

DATE:
Tue., Jun. 26, 2007

TIME:
10:00 A.M.

Columbus, OH

Senator Gary Cates
Office: 614-466-8072
Email: SD04@mailr.sen.state.oh.us
Website: http://www.senate.state.oh.us/senators/bios/sd_04.html

If you haven't done so already, be sure to contact your Senator - http://www.senate.state.oh.us/senators/index.html - asking for their full support of this Bill!

For more information on weekly Legislative Schedules for the Ohio House of Representatives and Senate, visit:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OH_XGR_SKED_OHOL-?SITE=OHONN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration.

Mary O'Connor-Shaver
Pet Consultant #462
Cell: 614-271-8248
Columbus Top Dogs (Shure Pets)
http://www.columbustopdogs.com
http://www.BanOhioDogAuctions.com

There are 45 cats and dogs for every person born. Only 1 out of 10 dogs born ever get a home. Only 1 out of 12 cats born ever find a home. 800 dogs & cats are KILLED each HOUR in the U.S, because there are not enough homes for them. Opt to adopt. Don't buy from a pet store!
-----------------------------------------------------

Also, it seems that Pedigree is supporting this bill and the one in CA --
Also - Pedigree is supporting this bill ( California & Ohio ) along with the American Humane
> Association. Here are a couple of letters to send to Pedigree that can be
> used. Also, noted by Lynn Underwood, a Whippet breeder in California, it
> is legal to turn your "Pedigree" arm bands (conformation & obedience
> trials) with the log side down in the ring. Just write your armband number
> on the blank side. I will do this in July and it will be interesting to see
> how many other exhibitors are doing this.
> >We are in a fight for our right to breed dogs in California and soon to
> >be in Ohio. Pedigree dog food has sided with the animal rights activists.
> >Please read below and please let Pedigree know that you are boycotting
> >all the products listed below. Please help defeat California AB 1634.
> >
> >I think the dog show world going against Pedigree is being noticed.
> >
> >In addition to sending this to everyone you know who loves dogs (and
> >other pets) and/or values his/her civil rights, please send it to
> Pedigree:
> >
> >Put on the pressure!! I think a few more emails wouldn't hurt. PLEASE
> >COPY AND I-MAIL THE LETTER BELOW TO PEDIGREE. YOU CAN CONTACT THEM BY
> >GOING TO (http://www.pedigree.com/ - select 'contact at the lower left
> >and pick a venue. Please fill out the form with your information.
> >Pedigree/Mars must know that we are serious about this!!
> >SAMPLE LETTER #!
> >To the management of Pedigree:
> >I want to advise you that I intend to boycott all products manufactured
> >and sold by Mars/Masterfoods. The reason? I love , own, breed and show
> >dogs and Pedigree is opting to help the Animal Rights groups eliminate
> >our civil rights to own a pet.
> >One of the big donors to AHA (American Humane Association) is Pedigree.
> >AHA is a supporter of AB1634 in California. Until AHA withdraws its
> >support of this bill or Pedigree withdraws its support of AHA, I will
> >not buy any Mars/MasterFoodServ or support the AHA, if I am handed a
> >Pedigree
> >armband while at a dog show, I will turn it over and write the number on
> >the other side. Pedigree will not be receiving any free publicity from me.
> >
> >My intention is to send this note to everyone in my address book, and
> >urge each of them to send it to everyone in their address books.
> >
> >Please, reconsider what Pedigree's support of animal rights activists
> >will do to our right to own pets. There are other ways for your company
> >to help shelter dogs find good homes.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >******************
> >SAMPLE LETTER #2
> >
> >To the Management of Pedigree:
> >
> >I have recently learned of Pedigree’s support of the Animal Rights
> >movement through its association with the American Humane Society (AHS).
> >Not only is AHS against hunting and the use of animals in biomedical
> >research, it is a major supporter of AB1634 in California, the bill that
> >requires the mandatory sterilization of all dogs and cats by the age of
> >4 months.
> >
> >Because of this, despite being a regular customer of your products, I
> >will be boycotting all Pedigree products immediately and will be
> >advising all my clients, associates, club members and friends to do the
> >same. The Animal Rights movement is behind the anti animal legislation
> >being introduced around the country and is actively working to eliminate
> >the rights of the animal owning public to make decisions about their
> >animals.
> >
> >Until AHA withdraws its support of AB1634 or Pedigree withdraws its
> >support of AHA, I will not buy any Pedigree products. If I am handed a
> >Pedigree branded armband while at a dog show, I will turn it over and
> >write the number on the other side. Pedigree will not be receiving any
> >free publicity from me.
> >
> >I will be sending this note to everyone in my address book, and will
> >urge each of them to send it to everyone in their address books. As a
> >breeder, AKC licensed judge, dog show exhibitor and member of seven
> >different dog clubs, this will be a considerable number of people.
> >
> >Please, reconsider your support of the AHS and the Animal Rights
> >movement. There are better ways for your company to help alleviate the
> >problem of unwanted pets ­ like the funding of no/low cost spay/neuter
> >clinics for needy communities.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >
> >*************************************************************************************************************
>
> >Remember it is legal to turn your "Pedigree" armbands (conformation &
> >obedience trials) with the logo side down in the ring. Just right your
> >armband number on the blank side.
> >

Re: Re: Re: Ohio Bill SB 173 in Danger of Passing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, fine. You cannot possibly be in support of this horrendous bill which will affect MANY show and hobby breeders and make them criminals! You should really *read* the bill and see how negatively this could affect reputable breeders. I don't know a single breeder that keeps collars on their show quality dogs all the time. And requiring fingerprinting of regular citizens (who are breeders) smacks of gestapo tactics.