Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA

I have a question regarding OFA,if both parents are with Good hips and Normal elbows is there still possibility that offsprings take birth with or develop OFA faults later in there life.

Re: OFA

While you are lessening the possibility of HD and other genetic problems by breeding Good to Good, there is ALWAYS the chance that an ortho problem will crop up - even when breeding Excellent to Excellent.

Re: Re: OFA

According to OFA stats, 8.5% of your litter on average would be affected.
Good to Excellent would give you 6%

There is always a chance of HD and ED Gurvinder, those percentages can be raised by the way the pup is handled in the first year. Make sure you or the owner does not overdo things with a growing pup until at least 12 months. Also, do not crate the dog too much. There is a fine balance. Good luck and glad to see you are trying to learn about the breed.

Re: Re: OFA

what will having the dog in the crate do?
just interested, i have not heard anything like this before?
thanks in advance
adam

Lack of natural conditioning/muscle tone (a poor dog that is in a crate too much) can show increased laxity just due to no muscle tone to hold the femur head in place. Laxity will be graded by the OFA as dysplasia, along with arthritic changes in the joint or other structural abnormalities (to shallow of a socket to seat the femur head correctly).

Re: Re: Re: OFA

Not in the crate too much, to give the pup a break now and then. You don't crate train your labs and give them a break in a crate so they don't run with the older ones and do damage to themselves?

This was brought up recently, what ages should be together for play.

I did not say to leave a pup or dog in a crate for a long period of time. Just as you don't allow a young pup or adolescent to run and run forever until they can't get back up due to exhaustion.

It's called common sense