Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
flaky skin on top of back

dog has dry flaky skin if in water daily,last summer he was in kiddie pool,or lake, this year we put in salt water pool, same thing with that,,if not in pool frequently does not get it, i always rise off after swim, food is proplan performance,chicken and rice, also,giving him 1200mg of omege 3,,not allergies to food, cause only when goes in water a lot, wondered if anyone had any ideas on other supplements that would help his skin not get so dry,he has a beautiful coat,,very hot here in ga and swimming only excercise all dogs get now due to heat,,can,t leave outside to play long, so hate to not let them swim,,any suggestins would be appreciated. other dogs may itch sometimes but not the flaking,,have put him on antiobiotics when gets real bad but hate to do that often,,does not have in winter or cooler months,,so its definetly water that aggravates it.a/c kept cool where they sleep..so not hot when in crates.

Re: flaky skin on top of back

I have found that flax seed helps. You can go to any health food store and buy flax seeds by the pound and they are very inexpensive. You will need to grind them into a powder with a coffee grinder. I sprinkle them over food - adjust the amount given as needed. I find if I give too much they can get looose stools - try a table spoon and see how it goes. It's good for you too - has a nutty flavor - try it on your cereal or in yogurt.It is good for hair & skin.

Re: Re: flaky skin on top of back

thanks for help, will try it.