Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RE: A tragic story that could happen to any of us.....................

I got this from a frenchie list

>Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:50 AM
>To: Susan Judge
>Subject: Dog World
>
>
>
>I am writing this to let you know what happened.
>
>
>
>We were at the Harrisonburg shows over the weekend. We left to head home
>on Monday,
>
>we stopped around 4:00 to x the dogs and everyone was fine. We then went
>on to meet a client and pick up a dog to show around 9:30 PM. We were
>tired and decided to spend the
>
>night. We went to x the dogs and and they were dead! We did everything we

>could and nothing helped. We spent the rest of the night driving home.
>
>
>
>We contacted the clients and they came out to the the house. We contacted
>the insurance thru our program and the vets office. They had us bring 2 of

>the dogs in to be tested and have pathology done. By the time we drove
>home the vet had the priliminary tests done and called us. They ruled out
>carbon monoxide and they ruled out heat prostration. They did
>
>biopsies and gastric contents to be sent off for further testing. They
>wanted us to know that they felt that the dogs had been poisoned! and that
>we should be aware that many of the drugs today cannot be detected and they

>ordered tox screens done but not to expect it to show much.
>
>
>
>Needless to say we are devastated!. ....the insurance that we carry only
>covers the clients dogs and that just somehow doesn't seem to make a
>difference.. .We had 7 of our dogs that were also poisoned, it was over 20
>years of work and sacrifice destroyed and we are virtually out of business
>as far as our line of French Bulldogs goes!!!! Whoever did this was very
>calculated in that they left the old and non-productive dogs, they are
>fine, not a problem at all,
>
>
>
>It is so hard to believe that some sick individual would actually poison
>these defensless animals in their own crates in their own vehicle what
>sense does this make??? They never hurt anyone and could not have defended
>themselves. I never even gave this a thought, I just don't think that
>way...I was shocked when the Vet called!!!!!
>
>
>
>I don't know what we are going to do,,,,we need some kind of help but I
>don't know what?
>
>with all of the medical bills that Mark's had over the last year and now
>with this, I just don't know, I just don't know how much more we can take.
>
>
>
>My real purpose in writing was to have you send out a notice to all of the
>members to be aware of what happened to us, the real story, as you know the

>rumor mill will be working overtime on this onw! and to put them on the
>defensive and to be extra careful out there with their dogs...No one should

>have to go thru what we have been thru for the past 2 days and will
>continue to go thru for who knows how long. We are devastated to loose
>our kids and our entire breeding program but most of all our life as we
>know it is gone!!!
>
>
>
>You just never even imagine that someone could do something like this. and

>worst of all it
>
>had to be a dog person who knew dogs and picked only the show dogs and the
>breeding
>
>dogs and leave the others...How can someone be soooo cruel.
>
>
>
>I tried to call you and I left a message but I didn't know how many more
>times I could repeat this story, I'm having difficulty just trying to type
>it so please try to decipher it as best you can, I'm sorry if it is poorly
>written, it's the best I can do right now.
>
>
>
>Thank you,
>
>
>
>Beth & Mark Carr

Re: RE: A tragic story that could happen to any of us.....................

I know Mark and Beth Carr. The Frenchies in their breeding program are/were some of the best in the country....

It is truly a shame what jealous people will do!!

Jen

Who said it was jealous people???? What a thing to even think, let alone write--then every competitor is suspect?

Re: Re: RE: A tragic story that could happen to any of us.....................

Pitiful!!!!!! A tragedy occurs and you choose to read something into a statement that I'm sure was not meant to attack or accuse anyone.
Someone very very sick (could have been another competitor but we'll never know) poisoned those dogs.
I'm saddened for the Carr's and their dogs and only pray that the Carr's hearts will heal from their terrible loss.

Someone that would poison their best dogs would have to sick and jealous. If it were any of our dogs what would we think? Of course someone sick and jealous would kill dogs! Surely not an admirer of their Frenchies.

What a terrible tragedy, they must be broken-hearted. Our hearts go out to them and thank them for allowing this to be posted so it hopefully doesn't happen to anyone other dogs.

Re: Re: Re: RE: A tragic story that could happen to any of us.....................

I didnt mean it that way!!!! Someone poisoned their dogs. Not the owners!!!! That was what was written. There are alot of mean people out there.. Ive been in Dogs a long time, i know the game. It has happened many times, too many to count where people have done harm to other peoples dogs.

So i apoligize to anyone who took it the wrong way!!

Jen

Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: A tragic story that could happen to any of us.....................

How sad. I am a bit confused, where do they think the dogs were poisoned? At show grounds? I would have the police or CSI checking all the crates and van for finger prints. People are so evil.

So what this post is saying is that any of us could have a truckload of our dogs poisoned by a sore loser when we go to a show? Sorry, but I won't believe that about the Lab community and stating something like that is reckless.

I've received threats of harm to my dogs in the "Lab community" from a very sick person. Trust me, they are out there. How devastated the poor owners must be.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

So what this post is saying is that any of us could have a truckload of our dogs poisoned by a sore loser when we go to a show? Sorry, but I won't believe that about the Lab community and stating something like that is reckless.

Re: Re: Re: RE: A tragic story that could happen to any of us.....................

There have also been threats to poison show dogs from animal rights people who's reasoning is "a dog is better off dead than in a crate". Pretty sad. They don't realize that a lot of the dogs in crates at shows sleep on their owner's bed at night.

Wow this is very very sad indeed and I think one of our very worst nightmares come true. While I wouldn't point fingers, it's a sad fact that some of our fellow exhibitors (yes, even in Labs) get so jealous over someone else's success that it's all they can do to try to bring them down.

I've had threats made to me, by email from another breeder who threatened to, "Crush my life in Labradors." While I've been fortunate not to have seen this person at shows for several years, the last show I attended was near this person house and I thought this person may have entered dogs at this show, so I hired a security guard to stay with me and the dogs to prevent something like this from happening to my dogs, or worse yet to my client dogs as well.

Years ago, I also had a tire slashed on my van by the boyfriend of handler who was jealous to the fact that I had a very good weekend. Fortunately he was caught, a bench show committe hearing was held and he was found guilty of the act, fined and suspended by the AKC.

Sadly jealousy is a very powerful emotion for some people and it drives them to do unthinkable things that normal people would never do. This email is just a wake up call to some thinking that nothing bad could ever happen to them or their dogs at shows. The best plan of action is be on the defense and if possible ALWAYS have someone watching the dogs!

Dianne

Kdw is right - this is not that much of a stretch for some extremist animal rights people. Don't forget the peta workers that were caught euthanizing perfectly healthy puppies and dumping the bodies in dumpsters. They misled shelter workers to believe they were placing them in homes. They felt justified because they were saving them from leading boring lives as pets.

Well, I suppose it is possible. On one of the lists I read someone suggested (joking??) that a note be placed in an exhibitor's bag telling them they weren't welcome showing their dog there--it had won too much!

Oh my goodness! And you call yourself "just the facts"! I remember that thread, and that posting, and it said neither of those things! It just goes to show you that people will read what they want to, whether or not there is any truth to it. Get YOUR facts straight, before you start name calling. Your post is one of the most twisted interpretations of a post I have ever read. I am flabbergasted!

Dogs and entire Labrador litters can even be stolen by those who can't produce anything nice on their own.

Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: A tragic story that could happen to any of us.....................

Where in the heck did that comment come from!!!???

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: A tragic story that could happen to any of us.....................

How tragic...for the owners and clients. I can't imagine someone being that devious, evil and cruel.
But there are some sick individuals out there.

The moral of the story I will take from this experience, is to watch over your dogs very carefully, and be vigilant in their supervision.