Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what is needed?

I see this was mentioned on Laura's forum but I'm noty sure how to post on there. I had planned to enter my 3 y/o in the Speciality in Kingston that is the end of July. A couple of things listed on Laura's forum I won't have. I want to bring my puppy so I don't have to leave her with a sitter. She will be 4 months old. I won't have a bill of sale as I bred her. I won't have a 30 day old rabies certificate as I don't do rabies and a puppy shot at the same time. Any ideas? Looks like we will be staying home. I'm glad I didn't get to the border and get this news!

Re: what is needed?

Will she have had her rabies shot at that point? I know I travelled to the LRCC National with a pup about the same age and had no problems at the border. Just brought the rabies certificate.

Re: Re: what is needed?

I just returned from the Three Rivers shows and specialty in Quebec this past weekend. Entering Canada, you will be required to provide a rabies certificate for each dog as well as your own personal identification (passport or photo ID). The US requires the same. A friend of mine recently wanted to take a litter of pups to the University of Montreal for eye exams and the US border patrol warned her (after she inquired about documentation requirements coming back to the US) that if she does not have rabies certificates for the puppies, they have the right to confiscate the puppies and quarantine them. Whether they would actually do that, she didn't want to risk the chance.

From my own personal viewpoint, the US is really tightening up on documentation upon return to the US. I sat at the border for 2.5 hours on Sunday waiting to cross back. They are more vigilant in their review of paperwork. I had no problems coming or goind as I had my documentation. If you are concerned about the type of documentation you need to present for your puppy, I recommend you contact the US Border Patrol office where you cross to and from Canada. They are very helpful in providing information.

good luck.

Re: what is needed?

Hi I am planning on traveling to the same Canadian specialty in Kingston, and after spending quite a bit of time on-line researching the best way to go about getting a paasport in time for the show, I realized that both countries still only require a birth certificate and license. Heather do you know if they give you a harder time if you don't have a passport?

You don't need a passport yet for car crossings. Birth certificate and Drivers License is still acceptable forms of ID.

You do not need a passport or birth certificate for driving across the border, but you do require a photo ID (driver's license or passport). Perhaps it is because I live in Vermont, but I have not heard that they require an actual copy or original of your birth certificate. I visited the US border Patrol site last week and spoke with staff at my crossing office and air travel will require a passport in September but they are phasing this in due to the time lag in getting passports. Driving across the border is less stringent at this point.

When I travel to Canada (and to any place for that matter), I always carry a copy of my own birth certificate, my original driver's license, and I have recently applied for an updated passport as mine expired quite a few years ago.

For my dogs, whenever I travel I always carry my rabies certificates, copies of AKC registration forms, town licenses, and any vaccination documentation I might have. I use Man's Best Friend software so I am able to print out my dogs' vaccination records, but I'm afraid that the border may look for an actual clinic signed form vs what I track for my own records. To date, I have never had either the Canada or US border ask for anything more than rabies, and I've been crossing the border with my dogs for over 5 years.