Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
kennel cough

OK anyone get kennel cough from the Boston show???????? i did its running through everyone

Re: kennel cough

What a pain! I wasn't there, but I hope anyone who has coughing will stay home from W Springfield...

Re: Re: kennel cough

No coughing yet but thanks for the warning!
Where did you stay?

No coughing here .

My dogs got kennel cough after Pioneer Valley which was I think a month before Boston - so it's been out there. It went through my whole kennel also.

Re: Re: Re: kennel cough at Pioneer Valley

Yes, I witnessed others spraying chlorestic spray in their dogs mouths at Pioneer Valley. Her dogs were coughing pretty bad. And when they started coughing she quietly took them back to the van from ringside. The sad thing, is people intentionally bring their dogs and expose other dogs and pups. It is totally inconsiderate. Espcially when you know.
I was shocked and appalled to see this., for more than one reason.

Re: Re: Re: Re: kennel cough at Pioneer Valley

well, just make note of who it was....it's shame people do things like that.
There was a whole litter of puppies ringside both days at Boston too...

None here

puppies ringside?

First, isn't it against AKC rules to have dogs at the event that aren't entered? Yes, I know everyone does it--you bring the old gal along so you don't have to get a sitter, etc. But normally those dogs stay in the truck or van.

However A WHOLE LITTER OF PUPPIES??? Obviously so against the regulations, plus so un-safe for the pups.

MK

Guess KC is making its rounds. A friend of mine just got a puppy a few days ago from a very well-known breeder that was at those shows and did very well. Wouldn't you know it? This puppy was shipped out with KC! Now a couple of my friend's other dogs also have come down with it. However, really not a big deal, just a couple of days of honks and gags and they are over it. They seem to have a better immunity against it next time they may be exposed anyway.

As for the rules about unentered dogs at AKC events, it's wise to check the rules in the premium book as they may state that dogs that are unregisterable with the AKC may be not be within the show limits, but that still doesn't mean that younger puppies are not allowed. It is up to the show giving to club to define whether or not they will allow underage pups to be allowed at the shows. I think it's a great way to socialize puppies. Picking up KC or any other disease is just a small risk you take, but better to have an irritating cough and be well socialized than having fearful puppies at shows. Let's not be so judgemental of those breeders who want to take a little risk so that they puppies may receive an excellent opportunity to socialize. It should be the breeder's choice.

I agree. People act like KC is the plague or a death sentance (ie Disgusted breeder). It is the same as a common cold in people. Do you go to work when you have a cold? I get so irritated when people point fingers- it is like getting disgusted that your grandchild has the sniffles.

Kennel cough can turn to pneumonia which can be deadly to young puppies. Young puppies should not be at shows. Chances are someone just brought them to try to sell them

Re: Re: Re: kennel cough

Kennel Cough is an INFECTIOUS CONTAGIOUS DISEASE.
And can be fatal to young pups and older dogs!!!!!!!!!!!

Can be or may be fatal is just in a very very small minority of dogs and that is usually if their owners do not keep a really really close eye on their dogs and do not pay attention to any secondary changes of the disease. Most of the time, it is not a huge deal, other than the noise factor and the discomfort to the dog. Cough syrup is usually enough to help with that.

As for having a litter of puppies at the show and saying the breeder was just trying to sell them, well that's just being a bit presumptious!

"Can be or may be fatal is just in a very very small minority of dogs and that is usually if their owners do not keep a really really close eye on their dogs and do not pay attention to any secondary changes of the disease. Most of the time, it is not a huge deal, other than the noise factor and the discomfort to the dog. Cough syrup is usually enough to help with that."

I agree with that, but why take the risk if it isn't necessary.

"As for having a litter of puppies at the show and saying the breeder was just trying to sell them, well that's just being a bit presumptious!"

Maybe, but we all know about the games being played out there.

I would assume they were there to be "seen" as well. They were about 8-10 weeks old by looking at them and they were ALL black.
The x pens were right up with the secretary table so my guess, it was a club member.
And who really cares anyway? They were cute.
I would not have made the choice to put a litter of MY puppies right up there in that high traffic area, but hey, to each his own.
Hopefully none got sick.

first of all BBE young puppies can die from bad strains, and expecting mothers can lose pups because of it , so don't think its not so bad until you have lost dogs or pups from this serious cold. and people don't go to work hacking up phlem and running fever, do you ???

I usually never respond to these threads, but I had to respond to the assumptions that are being made about the puppies that were at the show, and more importantly, what people may be thinking about their owners. First, three of the puppies were from a litter I co-bred and they were set up next to my van far away from the show rings and other dogs. All these puppies were there because the owners are members of the club, or were spectating or were entered. The puppies were not "for sale" and were being kept by the breeders. Second, the two "partial" litters of black puppies belong to very good friends of mine--two of the pups are 3.5 months of age and the others are at least 11 weeks old and all were being kept by the breeder and stud dog owner. None of these puppies were "for sale". None of the puppies developed kennel cough and all are doing fine.

Please, be careful when making broad statements and making assumptions about others. It is not kind and can be very hurtful.

I actually had my own 11 month old puppy bitch develop kennel cough a week after this show. She was only in the ring and back in the van or in her xpen which was quite a distance from the show rings. I had to leave her home the following week when I came up to Canada for the specialty and boosters. I was very very disappointed that I had to do that, but was not about to expose other dogs to possibly contracting kennel cough.

Just want to clarify.

Re: Re: Re: Re: kennel cough

FYI
We are the owners and breeders of 2 of the black puppies that where at the catalog table. They are not for sale. They where there because we had to be at the table or running other errands for the club. Despite of all the club members, very few people volunteer to help. So I can't leave the table unattended and I can't leave my dogs at home. Our other dogs were there also. The other litter of 3 puppies were a friend of mine who asked if They could hang out there out of the sun, also not for sale. All puppies are up to date on vaccinations and none got sick. Would some one also like to comment that I had my son in an ex pen playing with his toys? If you have a problem please go to the person and direct it to them in person instead of trying to start a fire on the forum.

The three younger puppies are mine. They were there only on the second day. I am on the board of directors of the LRCGB, and was planning to be there all day, showing and volunteering for my club and did not want to leave my puppies at home all that time. They were placed near the catalogue and superintendant's table because that was where I felt most comfortable having them. I wanted to be able to see them, and also wanted them in the shade. They are not a whole litter...they are a mere fraction of a very large litter, most of whom have gone to their carefully screened pet homes. These are the ones that I, the breeder, kept and are most assuredly not for sale. There are plenty of things on this forum that get heated, often, it seems, because people do not have all of the facts, and/or are responding emotionally due to concern about the situation or the dog. I will assume that those of you who mentioned the "litter of puppies ringside at Boston" did so out of concern for the well-being of the puppies, so I thank you on their behalf. They are fine.

Well I haven't been anywhere in about a month- dogs are all blowing coat. Also no one has come out to visit with dogs. One of my guys started coughing about three days ago. They are all vaccinated (done in April). Sure has me scratching my head how we picked it up!