Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pink spot

We are on vacation at the shore. Within a day of arriving one of my dogs started to develop a pink spot or really a pink discoloration on his right upper lip (in the dark pigmented portion) that has grown to about half the size of a dime. also looks like he is starting to get the same on the other side. just below the nose. doesnt seem to bother him and other than the color doesnt look at all nasty.

Do you know what it might be and how to treat it. We won't be home until next week and I really don't want to go to a vet here if I don't need to.

Re: pink spot

Is your dog using a crate? Is he maybe trying to chew the metal work of the door and irritating his lip??

Re: Re: pink spot

No crate. Just running around having a good time playing in the surf and sleeping on the deck.

Re: Re: Re: pink spot

Would you consider it loss of pigment or do you notice any skin irritation?

If it's loss of pigment, could be an allergic reaction to plastic...IF you are using plastic...

Re: Re: Re: Re: pink spot

Is there hair loss? How old is the dog?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pink spot

Actually if your dogs aren't used to being at the beach. I went back to where i used to live after the potomac last year. Delaware beaches. My dogs have never seen the waves. And had a ball on Cape Henlopen. They had the same. Sand water doing a few wave crunches and the salt.They got pink on the lips nose Eye rims.
all in good fun.Unfortunetly we had to leave.As soon as we got back out west. It all got better and hair grew back.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pink spot

The dog is five. There is hair loss at the spot but it does not seem to irritate him. Maybe I should have a margarita and worry about it when we get home.

It seems that I remember having to medicate a dog for loss of pigment. All I remember is that I had a dog that was loosing pigment on its' lips. Is there a virus that will do that?

I vote for the Margarita treatment (for you, not the dog!)

The Shore....Point Pleasant, Lavallette, Orley Beach, Beach Haven?

Jersy-ites don't say "the Beach", they say "the Shore". I haven't heard the term "The Shore" in a long time - brings back memories.

Re: Re: pink spot

Well I'm still a youngster grew up saying the beach,And continue to. mmmm I know another semi -colo person from Jersey,,,, My family used to have a beach house in ocean city. remember going there every summer. Crabbing with chicken necks on a string.......
Well as many childhood summers at Tall Timbers piney point St Georges Island on the potomac/chesapeake bay.
gotta stop making me sad ......