Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to get a JH

Can anyone help me find articles/specifications for how to train for a JH?? I am very new to this aspect...

Re: How to get a JH

One of the best resources on the web is the Dobbs library - all free!

http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/index.html

Another good source on the web is Oak Hill:

http://www.oakhillkennel.com/library/articles.html#Training

A few good books:
Retriever Training: A Back-to-Basics Approach by Robert Milner

The 10-Minute Retriever: How to Make an Obedient and Enthusiastic Gun Dog in 10 Minutes a Day by John I. Dahl and Amy Dahl

Water Dog: Revolutionary Rapid Training Method by Richard Wolters and Art Smith

Email me privately for more information!

Good luck!!
Bonnie

Re: Re: How to get a JH

Are you interested in only JH or also in SH and up? If you're interested in advanced titles, you should really start with a program, either Smartwork by Evan Graham or Total Retriever by Mike Lardy.

Re: Re: Re: How to get a JH

You could contact a local Hunting Retriever club and hook up with some training partners or take lessons from a Pro. I hooked up with a Pro and he has been an incredible help to both me and my dog. I don't send him away with the Pro....I just take lessons. These classes have been really helpful! Good luck and enjoy working with your dog!

It is nearly impossible to do this on your own. You need training partners! The best way to do it is to get involved with your local retriever club. Where do you live? Maybe we can find you one...

If you are just training for a JH - Jim Spencer's Book "Training Retrievers for Marshes and Meadows" is the best.

Lardy and Graham are awesome but the mechanics may be too much for someone only looking for a JH.

You should teach your dog to hold an item and deliver to hand, which is pretty easy if they naturally like to carry things around. Failing a test because a dog spits a bird out and won't pick it back up can be a real heart break. At 50-60 bucks a pop it's too expensive not to.

I write the HT column for Front and Finish magazine and have done several on starting pups or older dogs, the basics you need, the rules, common handler errors, etc.

The articles are posted on my web site.

www.crittercreeklabradors.com

I have an MH, two SH dogs, a new JH(saturday) and two with JH "legs." Glad to help you get started in the game.

MK

Thanks everyone for sharing all of your resources!!! I have lots of reading to do - I do train informally with friends; just want to get some of the basics down and learn what is expected of us for the test...

Re: Re: How to get a JH

A great way to learn before running in a test is to volunteer to help at a test. I marshalled quite a bit before I ran my first dog. You can see how things work without worrying about running your dog. Clubs are *always* looking for help.

Good luck and have FUN!