Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cut Pad

My dog cut his pad. It is bleeding off and on, very small amounts. Is there anything I can put on the cut? It is not a deep cut, more of a slice off the pad. I was hoping to keep him comfortable tonight before contacting the vet in the morning. Thanks in advance.

Re: Cut Pad

I've used Krazy Glue. Clean and dry the area, drip some glue onto it and let it dry. Forms a hard 'crust' that cracks off in a day or 2, keeping the healing pad area clean and protected underneath. I reapply a few times for a total of 3 or 4 days, until the area underneath the glue is dried and no longer raw looking.

Re: Re: Cut Pad

Wonder if New Skin would do something similar?
Drummers use it on their fingers and such when blistered.
Just a thought.
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Cut Pad

http://newskinproducts.com/spray-bandage.htm
Here is a link I found, you should be able to get it at any decent drug store.
Annie

Re: Re: Cut Pad- word of caution

CAREFUL on the spray on bandaid stuff..

the label and documents advertise 'sprays on clear' but they neglect to say that it does NOT dry clear. These products should be sprayed outdoors or NOT against a white floor. I have white floor , and it sprayed on clear yes, but dried brown. Looks like skid marks across my kitchen floor and NOTHING takes it off.

Re: Re: Re: Cut Pad- word of caution

Try carborator cleaner...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cut Pad- word of caution

The carberator cleaner was for the scuff marks on the floor....NOT THE DOG!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cut Pad- word of caution

Liquid Skin STINGS really badly. I tried it once and it was worse than the cut.

There is a product called Cut Heal for dogs--stinks like turpintine, but it really works and the dogs don't lick it at all. Works great on cut pads.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cut Pad- word of caution

Thanks for the info on liquid skin, I didnt know that and have a bottle in my "just in case" kit. What about treating the wound with bactine or something with a mild pain killer before spraying?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cut Pad- word of caution

Try EMT gel. It's made for animals. It hardens like superglue and is clear, and it peels off like when you get elmers glue on your hand. You can get it at most pet stores or order it on-line.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cut Pad- word of caution

thanks for the tip on the carb cleaner. Wil check that one out- that is one i hadn't tried.

I did try full strength bleach and acetone etc etc- and although i love my Mr Clean Magic Erasers- that didn't work either

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cut Pad- word of caution

Charcoal lighter or lighter fluid lso works well.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cut Pad- word of caution

we just went through this about three weeks ago with our 15 mo. old. It takes a while to heal, kept it clean, neosporin and I used a antiseptic wash on it several times a day to keep it clean. Just by luck he had a scheduled vet appt about a week after he did it and they said there really isn't anything else they can do for it. They've seen dogs with the pad sliced right off and it just has to heal. Just keep the infection out and your baby should be fine. Mine is fine now! Good luck!