Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rodenticides?

I am so sick of mice and have been having difficulty trapping them using snap traps and a ratzapper. (they won't use them, despite peanut butter, bait sold at the stores, etc.) I was thinking of using mouse rodenticide but am leery because of the dogs. Is it ok to use? types ok? Other suggestions? (am not ready to get a cat) One friend mentioned a havahart trap...may try that again, but first attemps were dismal, as the mice kept getting out...couldn't get the trap to work right.

aaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!

Re: Rodenticides?

Get a couple of female cats!

I have to concur with the female cats. A feral cat that I tamed was our best mouser ever. She would kill quickly and efficiently and then leave the body for our disposal. Once she became a house cat, she never wanted to venture outside again and was great to have in the 150 year old farmhouse.

When I moved, my sister stole her, so I bought one of those ultra-sonic deterrents. So far, no mice, and they supposedly did have issues previously.

Re: Re: Rodenticides?

We use Bromone here. Its' very effective, traps are very ineffective ways to deal with mice populations.

Unlike Warfarin, Bromone has no secondary poisoning, so if your dog eats a mouse that's been killed with it, your dog won't get it. And even if your dog ate one of the small cubes of Bromone, he would be unlikely to get sick, the exterminator told me that a full grown Lab would have to eat the whole box of Bromone to get sick. Of course, I keep it in a sealed container on a high shelf, away from pets and kids. The small bait squares themselves, I put in little places where the mice tend to go and those are not places the dogs have access to anyway. Good luck.

We bought the ultra sonics too, thought they were working well until I had a mouse in the wall right beside the plug where the thing was plugged into. I HATE mice.

Re: Re: Re: Rodenticides?

I thought I was the only person to ever have mice in the walls...such grief, now I have 2 baby coons under the porch floor! Mom is somewhere I'm sure, got it fenced off and a trap set,...it's ALWAYS something.

Tin cat works well and you just dispose of them how ever. It doesn't kill them. Cat or a chicken works best. Think a hen is a better mouser.

What's tin cat?