Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
kennel cough

i have a mom due to have pups next weekend, BUT she has just come down with kennel cough. i'm worried, will the babies get it?? or will she be over it by then. or will the pups still be born sick???? any helpful hints, i'm treating her with clavomox, which my vet told me to due, to help clear it PLUS vitamin C to help boost her immune system back ...

Re: kennel cough

I had a mom have kennel cough at about the same stage of her pregnancy. I was worried sick. We hoped that her pups would be born with some of the antibodies that her body was producing when getting over the KC herself. We did not treat her. The pups were fine and didn't get it. At 3 weeks old, we gave them the intra-nasal. All was fine. Good luck.

Re: kennel cough

Hopefully, she'll be over the worst of it by then. I know of an instance of kennel cough from mom killing all but 3 of 9 or 10 pups, but it was a rescue situation, and mom was coming out of a shelter with a notoriously bad strain of kennel cough. They were born right after she came out of the shelter, and mom was just starting to show symptoms herself, so she didn't have the chance to be treated yet. I think you've got enough time to get your girl well.

Re: Re: kennel cough

Six years ago, I took a bitch to an emergery vet for a c-section. You guessed, right? She got kennel cough at the vet hospital. We ended up giving the pups amoxi drop. The worry was that KC could go into pneumonia. None of the pups ever came down with KC but they insisted I give them the drops for many day.