Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sore Spot on Foot

Tonight I noticed a raised red bump and some swelling on the top of my girl's rear foot. It's not between the toes and I suspect a deer fly bite. They've been awful in our area. They bite over their eyes and the swelling is like a golf ball. Anyway, she's licking it excessively and now it's oozing. I've never dealt with hot spots, interdigital cysts,etc. as my dogs don't seem to get them, but how can I treat this obvious itchy sore? Does Sulphadine work? Should she be on an antibiotic?

Re: Sore Spot on Foot

You could try an anti-itch cream with cortisone or Benadryl cream (or tablet).

Re: Re: Sore Spot on Foot

Put witch hazel on it, it will help with the itchies and disinfect it. If she keeps licking it, it will turn into a hot spot. If so, wash it with a good antibacterial soap(dial) pat it dry and put gold bod powder on it this will help dry it and stop the itching. I have been able to combat bug bites turning into hot spots by rinsing the bite area with witch hazel.

Re: Re: Re: Sore Spot on Foot

be careful with creams. She will lick off any topical that you apply.

you might want to give her foot a nice soak in warm water in the tub and give it a betadine scrub or nolvasan scrub....it will feel good and once she is out of the tub and her foot is dry..there is no cream or ointment to lick off...keep us posted

Thank you for all the advice. I'm going to soak it with the Betadine since I already have that and I'll have to make a run for the Gold Bond Powder. Yes, she wants to lick it and that worries me as I don't want her injesting meds. Will she need an e-collar? I have one. This is my ultra sensitive girl. She reacts badly to bee/hornet stings...landed her in the e-vet for 4 days when she was only 7 mo.

I have used witch hazel on myself for mosquito bites and it takes the itch out pretty quick.

After several soaks in Betadine solution and Gold Bond Powder sprinkled on after drying it's looking so much better. The swelling around it is way down, but the sore is still raised and oozy, but not infected. How many days should I continue this routine? Thanks all.

could she have a splinter from wood chips or something? Usually if the betadine doesn't clear it up after a few days, i would suspect a foreign body in the sore...possibly even an infected hair follicle

I'm going to keep a real close eye on it. The swelling on the top of the foot is gone, but the actual sore is quite a mound and appears today to have a sort of center slit developing...perhaps it's coming to a head and something will come out. A splinter/stinger is a possibility. I'm still soaking it twice a day with Betadine, applying Gentocine spray and then Gold Bond. If it lingers more than 2 more days we're off to the vet.

Re: Re: Re: Sore Spot on Foot

Starting a couple of days ago I noticed that there are 2 holes spaced as if it could have been a spider bite. It is getting better every day, but how long will it take the hair to grow back?