Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
eyes open at birth

does anyone have experience with a puppy being born with it's eyes already open?

Re: eyes open at birth

Yes, I had one born with eyes open, he also had a cleft palate. We tried to save him, vaseline on his eyes etc but we lost him 2 days later. It is so sad and scary to see it happen. Hope it works out with your puppy.

Re: Re: eyes open at birth

Thanks. He is nursing,no cp, large and what appears healthy. Just his eyes are open. Lids are also working. Seems as if the seal just wasnt in tackt but not sure if visually this will change something

Re: Re: Re: eyes open at birth

What you might do is put a call into a Veterinary Opthamologist and see what he/she recommends as the best and safest way to deal with this little pups condition. Anything used in the eye should be for eyes only

Re: eyes open at birth

We had a puppy that opened its' eyes at 6 days. The opthamologist gave us lubricating drops to use 2X day until the tear ducts were making fluid. The pups eyes will dry if you don't lubricate them. I'm not a vet, but if I had to choose something over the counter, I would maybe get something like a natural tears formula with no medication in it.

Re: Re: eyes open at birth

Called our Opthamologist and Celluvisc Refresh drops were suggested to put in eyes every 2 hours while awake only, no bright light. Should not impact vision. Fingers crossed!! Thank you for the great suggestions.

Best of luck with this little one!

Good luck with the little guy. Learn something new every day.

Re: Re: Re: Re: eyes open at birth

I had one born with her eyes open and also a cleft palate.....she had no lids and we euthanized. Good luck!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: eyes open at birth

pup had a great 1st night, gained an oz and is nursing fine. Other then eyes open, everything thing seems normal. Drops are working, eyes staying moist. Thanks again all

Had one open at three days. Puppy seemed fine, my own vet not concerned. Litter was ACVO checked and nothing abnormal.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: eyes open at birth

I had a pup born with one corner of her eye open. I put drops in it from the vet to keep them moist. She had dermoids & eyelids were misformed on both eyes, when they finally opened according to my opthamologist. She also had seizures at 2 weeks, wasn't nursing well, had to tube feed & give injections to. She did fantastic for 4 more weeks, ate & played. She just passed Saturday after a seizure. She was great puppy for the 9 weeks that I had her though! I miss her dearly, my heart is broken... Best of luck with your little one.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

pup had a great 1st night, gained an oz and is nursing fine. Other then eyes open, everything thing seems normal. Drops are working, eyes staying moist. Thanks again all