Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To Breed or not to Breed

Well, this forum has been loaded with issues of Kennel Cough. And we have to say, it is at our house too. It is so upsetting, As we have a bitch in season we wnat to breed. Our Vet says the breeding may not take now, as the bitch has kennel cough as well.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Before we go through the expense of progesterone testing, and stud service fees etc.
I dont want to waste time or money.
Or even pups born with Kennel cough.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: To Breed or not to Breed

We had a bitch with a mild case. We treated her with an antibiotic (can't remember which one) and bred her and she was fine. We have also had a bitch here (different time frame, with others having KC) that did not come down with it, but as she was going to be bred soon - we treated her for a week and she never came down with it and did get pregnant.

I understand your disappointement. If she is young, and having regular cycles, I would not have her go through all those progesterone tests, first: knowing there's a risk it won't take, and second: that most importantly her condition could go downhill... I would definately wait t'il next cycle.

Re: Re: To Breed or not to Breed

Call Hutch. There is lots of mis-information out there. If anybody knows, he does. Klasiks Sparks Will Fly

Re: Re: Re: To Breed or not to Breed

Whoops! I was expecting to put up Hutch's number. Instead I put up my latest cut & paste. Gorgeous dog, by the way.

So here is Hutch's number. (440) 327-8282

when did your girl come into season and when did the KC start? If the two started at the same time...she may be done with the KC by the time you breed her.