Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
? Again

I have ready through previous post regarding trophies for Specialty wins, but I am hoping to get some new responses.
What are some items you have received which you like for a Specialty win? Personally, I would want something which I could look at and remember the day -pewter, glass, etc, but I have seen so many people say these are just dust collectors. So, what do you like and appreciate getting if you have too many of these dust collectors?

Re: ? Again

Just me, but I think the trophy thing has lost its way. I am much happier with a dog toy than a dish. It seems as if clubs set a $$$ amount for trophies and then struggle to find something in that range. If they want to stick with that $$$ amount, I think a gift certificate to All Labs or the likes would be more appreciated.

At the LOC Specialty this year, winners were given towels with the win embroidered on them. I thought it was a terrific idea, practical and, as you noted, a nice reminder.

One thing I got and absolutely enjoy... practicle to use and to look at, I received at LOC a month ago. They gave huge (and thick) bath towels embroided with the class win. Mine says: "LOC 2007 Bred-by Bitch" and I LOOVE it.

Re: Re: ? Again

Sorry, read your post after posting mine I guess we both enjoy it very much

When we were awarded the handled drinking glasses with LRCP logo at potomac two years ago I wasn't the fondest of them. Well we ended up using them in our parking lot party and now they are one of my favorite glasses! We use them every day and I love thinking of the memories. We finally broke one the other day and I truly almost cried!

Hubby drinks coffee and MVLRC mug is his favorite over all the other mugs we collect from various places.

Yesterday, we won a pewter champagne cooler. It's pewter on the outside (to be engraved) with an inner lining that goes into the freezer. It's great...and promotes a festive drink...which we immediately honnored!!

I liked towels when I've won them... Chairs with the win embroidered. I wish there were fewer breakable trophies - I've broken a few nice ones on the way home. These days, gas cards would be wonderful!

I've just ordered several things from Saudjie Crook for trophies for our AB show in September.

I was considering items from her, but thought most were gender specific. Does she have items which are not.

Did the towels have the club logo on them or 2007 Specialty or just the win?

I like anything that is Lab related and will keep. If my dogs had a choice, they would say those wonderful toys they won at Pioneer Valley this year. They really enjoyed them, even after the "Queen of sqeaker removers" killed the sqeakers. The toys were great.

Re: Re: Re: ? Again

LOL. I went with slip leads :). The other items are rather gender specific, but I figure that if men win, they can give them away.

What about the prizes for the big wins, like BOB BOW BOS etc.? Something you can display - something you can use, or ? What about the pepetual trophies? Can clubs even still have those?

The Lab motif tote bags are great. Towels sound like a great idea, too. I like things that are long lasting that remind me of the win.

Best types of trophies

not in any special order but I have LOVED the following trophy items:
1) MVLRC Cookie Jar for BOS
2) MVLRC mugs
3) Patty Block's luscious Labrador towel sets
4) Huron River LRC unique BOB stained glass Canada goose hanging
5) gas cards
6) English style slip leads
7) dog toys with and without squeakies
8) gift certificates to Val Cartwright's Paws'n'Tails
9) COLRC director chairs
10) stainless steel water buckets of any size with clips
11) hugs from fellow exhibitors
12) and to end the day of celebration, one of Cindy Skiba's homemade, fresh squeezed limes, with special tequila---margarita!

Re: Best types of trophies

I'm with you, Pauline, these are some of my favorite, too. By the way, Happy Birthday
Marion

Re: Re: Best types of trophies

My favorite trophy was won at Papago LRC (donated by Betty Buttelman). It is a book titled " The 5 Minute Veterinary Consultant". It is actually a reference book for veterinarians than gives a summary of most diseases, with symptoms,recommended diagnostic tests,treatments and similar diseases. It also has lots of other great information. I use it all the time.

The most interesting thing we won was a small silver tea service!! We use it all the time and feel eloquent!

The most useful thing was the flamingo towels - everyone asks about them!

But I think I am weird about these things, I love everything, no matter how trashy. I tell folks my house is decorated in "Lacey." Even when she is gone, (she is quite well thank you!) she will always be there!

Bonnie

Re: Best types of trophies

Pauline, you forgot to mention a Brazilian Caipirinha.

As a show novice, I would be happy with a pot holder
Annie

Re: Re: Re: ? Again

I am donating a couple of prizes for our upcoming specialty and I got some very nice Cool Coats as it is something I thought I would like

I won a neat square cooler tote at EOLBA last year with the club's logo on the outside zip pocket. I use it all the time! Also at their raffle I won a beautiful stained glass lab(black)in a profile pose that I hang on my rear view mirror in the van. Yes, it's probably a hazard, but I absolutely love it and it's so well done. I believe an EOLBA club member is the artist.

What about a free OptiGen test, free OFA evaluation, VetGen or HealthGene coat color test.

I think the trophy thing is yesterday also!! I would love to see something useful, a ceramic dog dish with the win, an LL Bean Labrador tote bag, a polar fleece blanket. Any extra on them to note the win is great! A Jane Partin print, a free show picture, windchimes, anything labrador that you could use and admire!