Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the worst habit

Ok guys, my girl has taken up the worst habit-eating her sisters' droppings. I thought she had a stick... oh gross it wasnt Its been a week or so now with this bad habit. Any ideas why she'd start now or how to stop it (other than picking up the poop LOL). I can deal with eatign the rabbit poop, but the other LABS POOP!! FYI no changes in diet.

Re: the worst habit

Did you not know Rabbit poop is not good for the dogs they are wormy until the fall and can give your dogs worms and also a very bad stomach ache if they eat to many and also Deer droppings the worst there are!!!!
As far as your girl goes you will just have to do what other people do. Stand there after you put them out and wait for the progress and clean up right away leave none for the little darlings to scarf up! I had to do this with 2 of mine to they get it agter a bit and you correct them to leave it while you are doing the clean up. I did this for about 2 weeks and no problems since in fact after about 8 days they just walked away they knew I was coming with the scooper to take care of it. I am in and out of my pens 4 times a day and try my darndest to keep them cleaned up after.
Good luck!

Get over it ! Or PICK IT UP ! I would be more concerned about the rabbit pooh.

Re: Re: the worst habit

Rabbits also carry coccidia, big time.

Somebody on this forum gave good advice, put a little bit of canned spinach in their food for a few months. I tried it and it works. There is hope!
Diane

My approach is a two step process:

Step 1: Don't watch.
Step 2: No kisses on the face.

Re: Re: the worst habit

Pineapple juice, just draw it up in a syringe and give like meds. Good luck keeping 'em out of the rabit doodoo or deer doodoo or any other wild doodoo, mine are like hound dogs hunting for that stuff and when you live in the country you'll have that.

I have tried everything for caprophagia and the only thing that works is to pick it up as it hits the ground.

Haven't tried the spinach though, maybe I'll give it a try.

I must say though that not giving them access to dog poop does break the habbit. My dogs walk away from it now where they used to turn and immediately dig in. Thats not to say they don't grab a snack once in a while if I don't go out right away and pooper scoop.

Rabbit poop here too and very difficult to pick up with a pooper scooper - let alone find it in the first place.

My vet feels that if you are on interceptor you should be okay with rabbit and deer and others- but of course coccidia would not be covered.

Thank you to those with actual constructive feedback. I will have to give it a try. And my point about the rabbit poop was its smaller than a dime and spread all over the place... you cant pick it up with a pooper scooper, let alone see it without a fine tooth comb in my yard. But if you have constructive feedback on how to stop them from eating rabbit poop I love to hear it. Yes I do realize that wild animal poop is bad, but hey I cant stop them from coming in my yard. I was tryng to fight one poop at a time, starting with the labs