Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have I seen this puppy before?

Has anyone experienced this before?
I bred a bitch puppy who represents my sixth generation out of a loosely line-bred line. She is SO much like her grandmother, who is the product of a close linebreeding. The individual the grandmother is linebred on was my first Labrador, who was also linebred. I have had no medical or hereditary problem with this line; it seems to produce pretty cleanly and true. I consider myself lucky to have had such a nice start 20 years ago, and to have bred to stud dogs who complement this line, and to have such a nice run with this line.
My new puppy (6th generation) reminds me SO much of my foundation bitch, which I got in 1988. Same looks, same sensibility, same personality, similar genetics.
I have been convinced over the years that personality characteristics/quirks are inherited.
This puppy does things that my foundation bitch did, and no one since has done this. She acts like my foundation bitch, looks like her, hugs like her; in short, she seems identical to her, and we are so comfortable with each other, it's like we have known each other our whole lives, or maybe even before!
Has anyone had this experience, where you feel like you have "known" this being before? It's kinda freaky, but wonderful!

Re: Have I seen this puppy before?

I just had a puppy that looks just like a former female that died 3 years ago in a horrible car accident on the street when she dug out of my fence. The dam's father is the brother to my deceased girls mother and I guess the genes just popped out the same..I named after the other female as the resemblance wis too uncanny..........

Re: Have I seen this puppy before?

Yes, I have named this new puppy after my foundation bitch, she is so much like her. I seem to have come full circle in my breeding program, except have produced better than the original foundation.
I could stop breeding today and be happy with what I have!

Re: Re: Have I seen this puppy before?

Congratulations, and enjoy your puppy. She's an old soul in a fresh new body. I'm sure you'll do very well with her.

Re: Re: Re: Have I seen this puppy before?

Yes, I have a bitch here that is so much like her grandmother it's uncanny!
Even has the same "voice"!!
Enjoy her, I'm sure she'll bring you many more years of happiness!