Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blue Eyed Labradors

I have just seen several photos of a litter of 8 week old silver "Labradors" (and I use inverted commas on the word Labradors here). Every single puppy had bright blue eyes like those of a Siberian Husky and the pups were eight weeks old. So, can the silver Lab fans tell us how the blue eyes came about if silver Labs are "genuine" Labradors? I have never seen eight week old Lab pups with bright blue eyes before. Also some of the pups were a strange mushroom/pinky beige colour and some were slate grey. Do the blue eyes come from the Weimaraner gene in the silver Lab?

Re: Blue Eyed Labradors

The blue eyes will turn to a very light amber eye when the pups are adults. Weimeraners are also born with blue eyes that turn as are all diluted coat color breeds. I have seen many chocolates born with green eyes that also turn to a light brown and a few with bluish/green as well.

The pinky light brown are true silvers whereas the slate gray are blue. A silver is a dilution of chocolate and a blue is a dilution of black. A very light pinky tan is a dilution of yellow.

This is not a forum for "Silver Fans"!

Re: Re: Blue Eyed Labradors

LOL! I can guarantee you that Sharon is NOT a fan of Silver Labradors! She is just very good at explaining the possible genetics behind what might be behind the lines of these so-called 'Silver Labradors'(and it's not LABS!)! Notice that she says that Weims have blue eyes as pups.....

Dana

Re: Re: Re: Blue Eyed Labradors

There are Weims with blue eyes into adulthood.

Donna

Re: Re: Re: Re: Blue Eyed Labradors

Most chocolate Labs start off with blue eyes but they are changing to brown by 8 weeks. Sure not bright blue. There is someone is Fla. who brags of raising the Labs with the blue eyes. NO THANKS.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blue Eyed Labradors

Actually, "most" is not accurate. Chocolates who will not develope the correct dark eye will have very light green/blue eyes as puppies....and as Sharon mentioned, will end up with light amber or yellow eyes. I am basing this on my experience. I have 3 chocolates from varying lines and degrees of meeting the standard from BYB, so-so breeder and excellent breeder. My bitch that I show was born with dark gray eyes which changed to the proper dark eye.

Lab breeders who tout blue eyed puppies are clearly BYB's and have no clue about what's right or not. Let alone what will happen when the dog reaches adulthood.

Well my chocolates are all born with blue eyes and they stay blue until thep puppies are about 4-5 weeks of age. Then they change, first to green, then to hazel, and then to a nice cinnamon brown. This is the correct coloring for a chocolate and I can assure you that my dogs are not from a BYB. I don't think it is fair to insinuate in anyway that a chocolate with blue eyes as a pup is coming from a BYB. All of mine have blue eyes as a pup and all of mine have correct medium to dark brown eyes as adults - no yellow or gold.

Here is the link to see the silver litter photographs on New Zealands's version of Ebay ... there are numerous photos of the pups.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Dogs/Dogs/auction-107372758.htm

The strangest "Labrador" pups I have ever seen in my life.

I agree with you, 2 bit. Think 3 Labs does not a long time breeder make. Speaking for more like 25 years, mine are born with blue eyes and as you stated start to change to the beautiful brown by the time they leave at 8 weeks. They can darken some after this. The only time I have seen anything but blue ended up having lighter eyes than the hazel color we love. I am with you, can't take those light eyes. You are very correct.

Are you talking about blue like most pups are born with, or the crystal blue, like a siberian husky? I have never seen young labs with that crystal blue. Don't want too, either!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Blue Eyed Labradors

So you guys are saying that you have puppy born with very light blue eyes that turn the proper color as adults?

Yes, I only have 3 dogs (I haven't bred my first litter yet) and sorry you all took offense at my BYB comment. I have seen so many pet bred labs with owners cooing over the weim-blue eyes that their puppies have, only to see them develop into yellow eyes.

Just because I haven't bred doesn't mean that I haven't spent countless hours with friends and their litters of chocolate puppies and seen them grow up.

Maybe your blue eyes are different from the color I am calling blue.

I'd love to be educated and shown other lines of chocolates what ARE born with light blue eyes that do mature into the correct dark eye. But you all are more snippy than educating, so I guess it doesn't matter. I'll learn from someone else who is nicer.

Jen wrote: "Chocolates who will not develop the correct dark eye will have very light green/blue eyes as puppies....and as Sharon mentioned, will end up with light amber or yellow eyes."

I'm inclined to say I believe this. I'm sitting her at work looking at pics of the two boys from my last litter, one black & one chocolate, and I don't see any difference in eye color.. both have gray/brown. The chocolate (will be 5 months tomorrow) has nice dark brown eye.
Not to plug my little guy, but just to show one example eyes on a chocolate at 7 weeks and weeks, take a peek at
Eye Color on Chocolate Pup

"Wondering" was wrong to even post such a topic on this forum as this is a LAB breeder forum and it is pretty well known that most are not a fan of silvers here. Obviously you are obsessed with silvers if you have "just seen several photos..." and are able to provide a web address to share. If you want to know about silver's find yourself a silver forum or a silver breeder that can answer your questions and keep your obsession off of here (or get professional help). You're just a trouble maker trying get people flared up. Innocents that get caught up in your "fun" end up getting bashed. Stop being a moron, we're sick of you already. In my opinion you should be banned from posting. For your information "brite" one, those "inverted commas" are quotation marks. What grade did you make it to?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blue Eyed Labradors

Not sure where you are seeing any snippiness? What are you talking about?

The chocolates start of with beautiful blue eyes just like a real baby does. NOT LIGHT BLUE. Then they get little flecks of brown and all of a sudden before they leave home they have brown eyes. Not light brown or orange. We don't do those ! Think you are in an area that really does have more silver influence going on and you see light blue eyes sometimes. I never have seen a light blue eye Labrador. I show, obedience, field, etc. 25 plus years in Labradors. Maybe some line do start off grey I have never seen this either, I wonder if it is more from the black dogs. I mostly have chocolate history. Does not matter if they both turn brown. Interesting.

Goodness me Noname you are getting yourself worked up. I am not a silver sympathiser at all and I deplore their presence in the breed as much as you do. I was only wondering why these puppies eyes were such a light, bright blue at eight weeks of age and what would have caused that phenomenon. I have never seen it before in Labs. Fair enough that all pups have blue eyes when their eyes first open but when they get to eight weeks shouldn't all Lab's eyes be brownish in hue? Of course the chocs will have a different eye but surely it shouldn't be light blue?

Re:Re:Re:Re: Blue Eyed Labradors

Sorry Wondering to not make your day but I'm not "worked up" and I never expressed my opinion either for or against the presence of silvers in the breed ("I deplore their presence in the breed as much as you"). If you are truely wondering about what color a lab's eye color should be at eight weeks then ask just that question. If you want to know more about silvers then ask the silver breeder from the pictures you viewed or have people privately email you a response. Don't try to start something here.

Re: Re:Re:Re:Re: Blue Eyed Labradors

The eye colour on Val's seven week old choc pup is absolutely lovely.

If what the silver breeders tell us is true and silvers are merely dilute chocolates does that mean that the eye changes to blue from brown along with the chocolate dilution? Is it genetically possible for eye coloration to dilute along with coat coloration? Can any geneticists tell us the link between eyes and coat?

Val, I think I see what you are saying with the eye looking grey looking. Think that is when I see the specks of brown starting. Was playing with my 5 week olds and they do look a little grey but see the brown coming. So think they just change alot those first few weeks. Interesting.

No name, no reason for you to be snippy. If anyone is starting something it sure looks like it's YOU! Nothing wrong with a discussion, if you don't like it then don't open the posting and read it would be a good idea