Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Temp Question

I have a lab girl who is acting very tired tonight.
My young son said to take her temp "just like you do with us Mom".
Well I did and it is 103. Is that high?
My vet is not in at night. I tried calling the one vet in the area that usually has someone there all night , but no answer.
I do have some Clavamox left over from my other dog's dental work. Would this antibiotic help bring the temp down?
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Re: Temp Question

103 is high....I think Clavamox would bring it down...but not sure..perhaps a vet on this forum can advise you. If you get to 104...go to a 24 hr vet.

It is elevated...how do her gums/eyes look? There are so many things that can cause a temp. from infection to sun stroke, to pain or exaustion. Do you have ANY idea what is going on? A vet really should be consulted on this one.

Re: Re: Temp Question

Your dogs temp is a bit elevated but not really high, is it hot where you are? Were you exercising her or was she running around before you took her temp? Try putting a fan on her and using a cold wet towel on the inside flaps of her ears and the pads of her feet, those are the areas to bring a temp down. Don't start antibiotics on her unless it is needed and you know what kind she needs if she needs any at all.
If in doubt take her to the vet in the morn but I would keep the fan on her if it is hot where you are.
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Re: Temp Question

Forgot to add that a dogs normal temp is 101-102.5
Aloha,
Jackie

I agree that her temp is not overly elevated and I would not give her antibiotics you have in the house.

Monitor her temp every few hours and see if she seems lethargic. Is she eating and drinking?

If you are not sure about her deffinately take her to the vet.

Update
Thanks to all for your concern and words of advice.
My girl's temp did not go higher than 103.
I did get in touch with a wonderful vet at an emergency vet clinic.
I kept her cool and took her temp every two hours through the night. (A fan blowing over a bowl of ice since we do not have AC.)
In the morning her temp was 102.4.
Got someone to stay with the kids and took her in even though she seemed much better.
Temp was at 102.2.
So far, all tests are normal. I will moniter her for awhile.
Thanks to all for your replies.