Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
interdigital dermititis

Hi all, I have a dog with interdigital dermititis, he was on an antibotic for a month but that didn't clear it up. He has another appointment with the vet next week. I thought I would run this question by you. Does anybody know what will get rid of this, any home remedies? I believe this is a fungus and I would love to know what will kill a fungus. Thanks mw

Re: interdigital dermititis

4% Chlorhexidine spray, active ingredient is Chlorhexidine Gluconate 4%. Available from a licensed vet.

I have a Lab who is basically allergic to the world. When his allergies are acting up, he invariably ends up with yeast infections on his feet. Ketoconazole 200mgs daily works like a charm. I also wipe his feet 2 to 3 times per week with Malaseb pledgets.
Antibiotics will not work on fungus.
Kathy

Re: Re: interdigital dermititis

Monostat 7.

Re: Re: Re: interdigital dermititis

Soaking the feet twice daily every day with
Ioding Sol. and keeping them clean worked
for us.

Sounds like athletes foot. Yeast is treated with Miconazole Nitrate 2%. Monostat 7 is correct. Also, Gold Bond powder.
Both work well for yeasty ears as well.

There are interdigital cysts which are usually staph infection. They come in the summertime mostly and you can put the dog on Cephalexan for 10 days but it will probably come back. You can also use a topical spray and then powder with Gold Bond. Surgery doesn't always resolve the problem. You can also soak in Epsom Salts and compress with warm cotton soaked in the ES to depress the puss. Interdigital are between the toes. Now there is yeast infection which is on the bottom of the feet between the pads. For this my Dermatologist recommends Ketoconazole as Kathy Ciprian mentioned. This is like Athlete Foot so you have to keep up with getting the PH value toward the acid side. I make a very strong Russian black tea and soak the dog's feet in it several times a week. That area is the place where the dog sweats and sweat is alkaline so you need to get the ph toward acid to keep it from coming back. Also swimmer ear is the same thing. Ellie

Re: Re: interdigital dermititis

By the way, i am assuming your vet did a scraping to see if it was yeast. You wouldn't use Keto on anything but yeast as far as I know and it is very expensive. Wallmart has the best prices but you need a script. It is important to discuss the treatment with your vet as he is the one who knows what your dog really has. That is how mistakes happen when you just do this and that what other people tell you to do. The vet is the man. Ellie

First your vet needs to culture the feet to see if there's a bacterial infection, yeast or fungal. If yeast, then primarily allergies - need food change, etc. if bacterial you most likely need an oral antibiotics - usually for a longer term than you would expect, an sometimes a combination. not all antibiotics are good at getting to the feet and skin of feet. if fungal you need a systemic antifungal.

good luck!

Thank you for the replies. I have wrote down a few names that you have suggested. I'm off to the vets on Monday and I will ask him about these products and see what is best for my boy. mw