Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pups leg twists in weird position

i have a litter of only 4 pups. they are almost 3 weeks old. when they are moving around their legs seem to bend in strange positions. they are starting to push up off the floor and wobble around. the ugly leg position seems to be getting better as they walk around more. has anyone seen something like this? will they be normal?

Re: Pups leg twists in weird position

Is this your first litter? Or have you bred before and this is something different than what you usually see in your litters? If this is your first litter, they are probably just getting up on their legs and learning to walk. If you have concerns, take them to your vet.

Re: Re: Pups leg twists in weird position

I had the same thing in my last litter. It was small also. They were slower to get up since fatter. Do the egg crate under the towels. Helps alot. Start getting them on surface that they don't slip on so much. But I agree, I know what you are saying about the little legs looking wierd. Same age as yours.
Mine are up mowing good now.

Re: Re: Re: Pups leg twists in weird position

yep I had this with a singleton. On a rear leg. Strangest darn thing.But once she got up moving around she got better took a few weeks but she is 5 mos old. And can't even tell something was wrong with that leg.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pups leg twists in weird position

I have had this too and it does correct with a little time. Put the pups out in the backyard where they can walk on a natural surface. That will help move things along.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pups leg twists in weird position

Sounds like they may be swimmer pups---give them good footing--nothing slippery. Rubber mats, egg crate matress, etc. If they get the proper footing they almost all get up eventually and will be perfectly normal in the end.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pups leg twists in weird position

My singleton was fine for the first several days after birth. Then this leg went weird. I borrowed a 6wk cocker puppy from a breeder for a wk and what a difference that made on socialization and the walking. once my pup was 6 weeks. .