Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppies and Adult dogs

I have a question for those of you with multiple adult dogs and puppies. Do you allow your puppies to be out with the adults or do you keep them apart? With my first litter (of two, sixteen weeks old)I am keeping the pups from being turned out with the adults until they are big enough. I have heard stories of correction bites gone horribly wrong and rough play ending up with a lame pup.

I do let the pups out with the adults while on leash, but never off leash. They still get to see each other through the fences. Is what I'm doing wrong? I trust my girls, but even a correction bite can end up hurting a small pup.

Re: Puppies and Adult dogs

I do not let pups play with adults. Now maybe an older dog who loves pups. These are great. And maybe a female who is right there in front of you that corrects pups. But am not going to take a chance of rough play and an injury that can never be the same.
I just arrange with different lots to play in and be nose to nose. When the weight gets more the same 6 to 9 months you can try them. Just my opinion.

Re: Re: Puppies and Adult dogs

I allow them together when I'm there to supervise. I separate them when I'm not around and let them see each other through a fence.

Re: Re: Re: Puppies and Adult dogs - PS

I should add that I have a couple older girls who I trust 100% with puppies. They are my babysitters. They would never, ever bite a puppy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppies and Adult dogs - PS

Exact answer as Kdw. Let them all play when I can supervise or alone with those few I can trust 100%.

Same for me too. I have toy dogs also who are 10 lbs or so, and bouncy Labbies don't mix real well with them unsupervised.

Re: Re: Puppies and Adult dogs

i do not allow adults to be with puppies unless I implicitly trust the adult. Maybe around 6 mos. old--but even then only supervised until I'm sure they know their manners with big dogs.

Re: Re: Re: Puppies and Adult dogs

Kathy's response raises an interesting question--how do puppies learn their manners around adults if they are not with adults? I've got 2 6 month olds who grew up separated by fences from adults except for short periods when they were supervised and with my "baby-sitter" bitch. She was constantly irritated by them and no amount of growling and snapping at them taught them manners. I finally took pity on the long-suffering baby sitter. I didn't want to ruin her for future duties.

So I finally put the rowdies with a bitch I trust not to go too far, but who would be more direct and firm with them. They still haven't really learned manners. They are better, but still annoying the adults. So do I turn them out with the pack? Are they incorrigible?

I should mention that I have taken a different route with the next puppy I'm running on. She has been with the baby sitter starting at 8 weeks with regular interaction to a grumpier old girl. So far she is still a spirited puppy, but knows who to back off from and when to entertain herself.

My active seniors often run loose or share a large pen with the preteens. When I say senior, I mean 7 to 10 and in top shape. I find my mature dogs often do an excellent job of babysitting and drawing the lines for the youngsters.
They don't run/have free access to those under 3 years of age, thats just an invite to trouble :)