Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hypekeratosis

Does anyone have any experience with hypekeratosis and how to treat it?
I have googled the subject but am hoping that someone out there has experienced this and can add to the information I have found.

thanks,
Allison

Re: Hypekeratosis

Have you gotten the diagnosis from a biopsy preferrably from a vet dermatologist? I had a girl who we thought had nasal hyperkaratosis. We did two different biopsies, one came back as discoid lupus and the other (more thorough) came back as vitiligo. Both, as well as hyperkaratosis, are similar. The only symptoms this girl had was loss of pigment on her nose and "crusting" of skin on the top of her nose. Optional treatments include steroids, but I opted to simply give her vitamin E, apply vaseline to her nose twice a day, and if we go out in mid-day sun, she gets sunscreen on her nose beforehand. Besides her bubblegum pink nose, she's completely normal, healthy lab :)

http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/healthsa.htm

Found this link to be very interesting.

I had purchased a Lab puppy who later developed this condition when she was about 12 months old. It was on her nose. She is 5 yrs old now and her new owner tells me that her dog's nose is still the same. No better and no worse. This dog's coat tends to get very flakey so her vet put her on Vitamin E Derm Capsules. That seems to have helped her dog quite a bit. She does keep her out of sun during peak hours.

This is what's available:

HEREDITARY NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS IN LABRADOR
RETRIEVERS

Page N 1, Paradis Ml, Lapointe jM2, de Jaham C3

Department of Clinical Sciences I and Department of Pathology and Microbiology2, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,
University of Montreal,3200 Sicotte, St-Hyacinthe (Qu6bec), J2S 7C6

Centre V6t6rinaire D.M.V3, 5959 Route Transcanadienne, St-Laurent (Qu6bec), H4T IAI

This project was finded by the "AcacMmie de Midecine Vitirinaire du Quibec "

BACKGROUND:Known causes of nasal hyperkeratosis in dogs include distemper, pemphigus foliaceus or erythematosus, discoid or systemic lupus erythematosus, zinc responsive dermatosis, ichthyosis and necrolytic migratory erythemal-2. There is also an idiopathic form of nasal hyperkeratosis that occurs most commonly in old dogsi-3. Recently, several Labradors retrievers coming from different breeders were presented for nasal hyperkeratosis of early onset.

OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this study was to describe the clinical, histological and inimunohistochemical data from Labrador retrievers with nasal hyperkeratosis and to assess response to various therapeutic modalities. In addition, we wanted to investigate potential parental links between affected dogs, and recruit additional affected relatives to further document the disease.

MATERIAL AND METHODS: Data were obtained from the owners and breeders of affected dogs on the clinical presentation of the disease and regarding other affected and unaffected relatives. Pedigrees were obtained when possible. Nasal planum biopsies, taken on 6 dogs, were processed for histopathology (hematoxylin-phloxinsaffron staining). Immunohistochen-iical stains (avidin-biotin-peroxidase complex) for canine IgG, canine distemper and papilloma viruses were applied to 4 of these biopsies (Western College of Veterinary medicine, Saskatoon, Canada). Fungal cultures (Fungassay(D) from the lesions were performed on 3 dogs. Response to various treatment modalities was assessed by physical examination when possible, or by telephone follow up.

RESULTS:
Family history: 14 labradors (4 females/10 males) coming from 5 litters (4 different breeders) were identified as having nasal hyperkeratosis. Pedigree analysis showed that all dogs shared common ancestors. None of the sires and dams from which information was available (8/10) were clinically affected. Clinical history and presentation: In all cases, the nasal hyperkeratosis was noticed between 6-12 months of age. It affected mostly the dorsal aspect of the nasal planum, and consisted in greyish or brownish adherent accumulations of keratin. Lesions were dry and rough. Fissures and erosions occasionally developed. All the dogs were otherwise healthy.

Histopathology revealed in all cases parakeratotic hyperkeratosis, varying from mild to marked, with moderate acanthosis. Within the stratum comeum and superficial stratum spinosum there was multifocal accumulation of proteinaceous material between keratinocytes, which was often marked and sometimes formed large "lakes", containing a few neutrophils. Occasional stratum spinosum keratinocytes had intracellular edema, and rare dyskeratotic cells were noted. 'Mere was moderate neutrophilic and lymphocytic exocytosis through the epidermis, sometimes forming small lymphocytic aggregates.

15@ Proceedings of AAVD/ACVD Meeting, 1999 41

An interface dermatitis was also present in all cases, consisting of mild to moderate band-like infiltrate of lymphocytes, plasma cells and macrophages along the basement membrane, rarely infiltrating and obscuring the stratum basale, associated with variable edema, fibrosis and pigmentary incontinence in the supperficial dermis, and spongiosis in the stratum basale. Rare aptopic cells were obsevered in the stratum basale and spinosum (less than 3 per section).

Immunohistochernistry did not reveal significant deposition of IgG in the epidermis or in the basement membrane zone.

Fungal cultures were negative.

Treatments: Three dogs received oral zinc methionin (2.5mg/kg PO once daily or 1.5 mg/kg PO twice daily, Pala-Z, Virbac, Inc., Fort Worth, Texas, 76161) for I month, with no improvement. Minimal to no improvement was observed following 3-4 weeks of cephalexin in 3 dogs (22-30 mg/kg PO twice a day). Three dogs improved with 1-3 daily topical applications of petroleum jelly or vitamin E. Seven dogs were treated with 67% topical propylene glycol 2-3 times daily (GlycolP, Rhone Merieux, Canada, Inc.). Two dogs did not benefit from this treatment and the 5 others were greatly improved. In these dog&f the owners noticed that the hyperkeratosis rapidly resumed if they stopped the topical treatment.

CONCLUSION: The age of onset of nasal hyperkeratosis in Labmdors and the familial links between affected dogs are striking features of this disorder. Up to date, the etiology of the disease remains obscure. The histopathological findings bear some resemblance to discoid lupus erythematosus, zinc responsive dermatosis and mucocutaneous pyoderma. Further investigation will be needed to characterize and assess the heritability of this disease. Since most if not all the sires and dams that produced affected dogs were not clinically affected, we could speculate at this point that an autosomal recessive mode of inheritance is implicated4.

REFERENCES:
1. Scott DW, Miller YM, Griffin, CE. Small Animal Der?natology, 5th edition. Philadelphia: VIB Saunders Co; 1995: 824-844.
2. Griffin CE, Kwochka KW, Macdonald JM. Current Veterinary Dennatology, The Science and
Art of Therapy. St. Louis: Mosby Year Book; 1993: 176-190.
3. Yager JA, Wilcock BP. Color Atlas and Text of Surgical Pathology of the Dog and Cat,
Den-natopathology and Skin Tumors. Vol. 1. Wolfe Publishing; 1994: 69-70.
4. Nicholas FW. Introduction to Veterinary Genetics. Oxford University Press; 1996: 154-16 1.

42 15' Proceedings of AAVD/ACVD Meeting, 1999

In my experience...weight has been a huge factor..most are heavy when this happens.

geezee- I'm curious about your experience with it. are you a vet? a breeder? How many dogs have you seen with this condition?

In my case the dog was just under a year and in working condition. I only know of 4 other labrador cases personally, but none of those dogs were overweight either.

Re: Re: Hypekeratosis

I didn't reply to this post?!? I replied to another, this is the first time I have read this...in fact the first I opened this thread? I am a breeder and a pharmacist though but I didn't comment on Hyperkeratosis..