Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennel Cough

I go to a couple shows and of course my girl brings Kennel Cough back Now my whole crew has it including my mom with 2 week old puppies.

I have had kennel cough here before, and know how to manage our dogs symptoms, but never with a 2 week old litter. I'm concerned about my young pups. Does anyone have any previous experience or guidance to offer me regarding my nursing mom and her pups??

Suggestions are welcome! TIA!!

Re: Kennel Cough

Only to keep them in a different area of the house so that the nursing mom won't get the KC. Try not to spread the germs on your hands or shoes. I did have a mom get it when her pups were about 5 weeks old and the vet had me take her away from the pups.

Re: Kennel Cough

I put cotton balls soaked with eucaliptus oil or vicks around the room, helps with the breathing, chicken broth, make it pretty warm as it also helps to loosen phlem, the puppies will prob take chick broth too if you are careful, most take to it real well, in fact I have raised orphaned pups on chicken broth.

Re: Re: Kennel Cough

I had a bitch contract KC when she was in the hospital for an emergency c-section. When she started coughing, the vet insisted I put the pups on amoxy drops as a precaution. The KC itself was not the problem, the concern was that it could go into pneumonia. It was a PITA giving 9 puppies drops several times a day but I felt it was worth it if only for the peace of mind.