Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Addison's Disease

Has anyone with a Lab, or know of anyone with a Lab that has Addison's Disease? There are studies being done on other breeds, I was wondering if it is now effecting Labs.

Thank you

Re: Addison's Disease

Yes, I have a 5 y/o from my first litter that was diagnosed with it. There really isn't alot written up about it. He is now doing fine on a maintenance med. His owner changed vets when he wasn't doing well and he was being over medicated. I haven't heard of many labs with it.

Donna

I have been thru the scare and testing of this disease.

Elevated Potassium in blood work can be a sign, (my girl had kidney failure - so that may have prompted the test).

All I know is if you suspect it get the dod tested immediately because if the dog goes into any type of stress and does have Adisonans they can go into what is known as Adisonian Crisis which can very well be fatal.

It is a simple test. Blood draw, injection given, and one hour later another blood draw. Both blood samples sent to the Lab to determine neg. or pos. Mine were sent to Cornell.

Thankfully it was negative. I can't give any info on treatment however, sorry. Hope you find what you need.

You might find some information on the disease off any of the good Standard Poodle sites. That breed has serious issue with Addisons. I have not heard of many with the issue in our own breed.