Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Portable Generator

I am going to buy a portable generator this month.
I want to keep my dogs cool at shows and the little battery powered crate fans just do not seem to be enough.
Any suggestions on brand and or size?
I thought that a large fan and a generator would really help.
I always do the van covered in sunscreens, ice in their water buckets and cool cotton bedding.
Any other "cooling suggestions for my guys?
Thanks!

Re: Portable Generator

WalMart sells bigger re-chargable fans that you can put in front of the crate - price is reasonable too.

I've been wanting one of those power centers, that you can recharge in the hotel room each night and then run a fan off of during the heat of the day. A gas powered generator gives off fumes and can be noisy. We have an inverter that converts the car battery power to AC with an outlet for a fan but it can kill your battery, if you aren't careful.

Re: Portable Generator {larger generators for the home or kennel]

Off topic but still on generators.
Do any of you have a full home or kennel generator for power failures? I would imagine they must be very costly.

I saw one at the lovely home of a breeder in the East. They had a very large one that could keep the entire large home, whelping and kennel area toasty warm for a good deal of time. Part of their reason for doing this was in case they had a litter on the ground-fearful of the pups getting any drafts or body temperature drops. Just wondering if this breeder is the only one with one so large it can keep all of these areas heated for many days or are they the only ones with this type of technology. Boy, was I impressed with this one, it was amazing!

We have one also. It will run all the electric and heat or AC. We have it because we have many power outages in our area. AND, we are on a well so if the power goes out we have no water. MUST have water with dogs!

Re: Re: Portable Generator

To answer your question about protable generators. There are ones out there that are very light weight and very quiet actually.

If you google Sinemaster 1000ti I'm sure you will find one.... as Honda makes a great one too.

They are worth every penny... good luck in your search.

Thanks for your responses.
Any other thoughts on gas powered vs the rechargeable types?
I like the sound of one that can be recharged in the hotel room at night. Brands?
Do you think it will have enough power to run a good size fan for 6 hours?
I appreciate your help.

Most of the lightweight ones work well for what you want but some can be VERY noisy.----Look for one that specifically says it's quiet.

I have the rechargable one from Sam's Club , I think it is about $90 , it will run my turbo fan that cools my Astro van w/stacked crates and fully loaded , from 10pm untill 6am.

We do

I swear, our power goes out if someone sneezes near a power line. We have a large generator that will run most of the house, including the AC or furnace. I make sure the spouse starts the generator once a month so it doesn't carbon up and will actually start when its needed.

We have a well and like the other Laura said, if you don't have power you don't have water.

Re: Re: Re: Portable Generator

You want an inverter generator. They are about as loud as a microwave. You can carry on a conversation in normal tones standing right beside it.
Honda makes the best ones but they also cost the most. The EU1000 will run your fans but nothing else and costs around $700.00. It will run over 8 hours at a 1/4 load.
They also make an EU2000 and an EU3000 which we use with our 5th wheel.
Hope this info helps.