Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ca AB 1634 Bill analysis problems

*CROSSPOSTED w/ Permission*
WE NEED IMMEDIATE HELP! TO REACH EVERY CORNER OF CALIFORNIA TODAY!

PLEASE CROSS POST THIS EVERY WHERE!

Some of the problems we have seen with the analysis are apparently much deeper than we originally suspected. For those of you that don’t know Beth Shea, she has been in the fight from the get go. Beth is working on this issue in conjunction with the steering committee for PetPAC. Beth’s three messages follow. ---Tonya
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There turns out to be a rather major problem with the bill analysis that came out on Friday. It seems somehow that a number of the opponent organizations where not listed (We are up to 60 and counting so far). I am compiling a list of such organizations to be presented to the committee on Wednesday. I need your help.

First in working on this list I noticed that only THREE Schutzhund clubs were listed - USA, Placer County ( tho ran together w/ another clubs name) and Somis. So Cal SchH club has contacted me to tell me they are not on the list. PLEASE PLEASE tell me that they are not the only clubs to write letters from the club ( as opposed to the members letters).

Also there were no Malinois clubs listed and I've only heard from one - the American Belgian Malinois Club. Are there no local clubs in California - even if they're breed clubs?

Next Dobies - 8 clubs listed 3 from out of state. 1 rescue 4 breed clubs. Are there not more Dobie clubs in Ca and are there any working clubs oriented to Dobes?

Next Rottweilers - 3 national or out of state 3 Ca clubs and 1 individual breeder ? Am I missing something here? I know there has to be more clubs/breeders than that!

ASCA people - ONLY the national organization is shown. I know you have a ton of local clubs. Cattle dog people ditto. Border Collies ditto. Herding and stock dogs clubs ONLY AHBA is listed. AKC has over 500 clubs in CA. This is not remotely reflected in the list.

Also there are some individual breeders listed who wrote on their business stationary. But damned few and I know in the GSD/ Working dog world there are a number of highly successful importers/breeders doing business in Ca. Where are they?

If I'm wrong and you all sent letters - then my apologies here and now. Please send me an email to that effect and follow the directions below and I will include you on the list to the committee on Wednesday.

God forbid I'm right and a letter has not been sent - ITS NOT TOO LATE. Write the letter opposing AB1634 as amended 7/3. Fax it to all committee members, consultants and PetPac. If you need help figuring how to do that holler. Then follow the directions below. You will then go on a list of new opponents to AB1634.

Next and this is equally important. I am not a person to subscibe to lists or posts to boards so I need the help of people who do this. Please post the following three messages TONIGHT as far and as wide as you can with permission to cross post.

Message one

"There turns out to be a rather major problem with the bill analyis on AB1634 that came out on Friday. It seems somehow that a number of the opponent organizations where not listed. I am working with PetPac to compile an accurate list of such organizations and that list will be presented to the committee. If your organization is in opposition to AB1634 please take the following steps.

1. Pull up a copy of the bill and look for your organization. Search by key words and do multiple searches as in german then shepherd then san jose. There are misspellings and some opponents are shown as proponents and some clubs were listed with a "the " in front of their name. For the analysis see http://www.naiaonline.org/ or the official legislature site if you can not read pdf.

2. If you were not included in the opponents list of the bill analysis of AB1634, or are not sure, please follow these steps.

a. If your organization updated its letter to reflect the 7/3 amendments and faxed or mailed it to the committee and consultants send an email to Beth immediately at bshea313@yahoo.com stating the above info and the club's name. Then either fax a copy of the letter to PetPac at 916 485-5594 or email a copy to barry@petpac.net indicating it had been sent to the committee . We need you to do both. Beth is producing a double checked vetted list and then PetPac will have the documents to back it up.

b. If because of the holiday the last letter your organization sent reflected 6/27 or prior amendments, please, draft a new letter reflecting the 7/3 amendments and fax it to all committee members and both consultants (see AKC site for fax numbers). Remember to include the line, "we asked to be included in the listed opposition". Then follow the directions in above in "a" . In the email to Beth, please list the name of the organization, contact info and also indicate it was a newly updated letter that was faxed and then make sure you get a copy to PetPac and on the cover sheet indicate it is a newly updated letter.

c. If your club or business has not sent a letter on its letterhead IT IS NOT TOO LATE. Follow the steps outlined in b. The only difference is in the email to Beth and on the fax cover sheet indicate this is a first letter never sent before.

d. IF your organization's name is being used by the proponents without your permission or is listed as a proponent in the analysis and that is a mistake please follow the steps above but indicate that information in the email to me.

3. If you have already sent me your club's info or faxed the letter to PetPac do not resend it.

4. If you are an AKC club and have been contacted by them please follow their directions but please also take the steps above. We need to be able to provide one unified list of ALL missing organizations.

Time is of the essence on this. I thank you in advance for your help. Please understand it is unlikely I will have the time to respond individually to you. Thank you. Beth"

Message two

" Saturday 7/7/07 at 7 P.M. RE the date and time of the committee hearing. I just spoke with Kelley Moran of PetPac who is in communication with the committee. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The bill will be heard in the Local Government Committee on Wednesday July 11th at 8 a.m. Be there early. Don't forget to also attend the rally regardless of the outcome on the bill. We need numbers! If you want a life that includes animals it's time to stand up and be counted. "

Message three

" Folks I can find no better reason to send you this appeal than today's events. Yes it is frustrating the games that are being played by the proponents - last minute amendments on holidays, missing letters etc. I for one certainly wonder how "accidental" it is that so many of our letters are MIA. The point is they want to fatigue us. They want us to go away. Well my reaction is HELL NO! This is all the more reason that we need to stand together and speak with one voice. I do not care if you are AKC or UKC or USA or none of the above. We are in this fight because we want the right to share our lives with animals. Just for the next four days let us put aside our differences and come together behind what I believe is the strongest and largest voice in this fight - PetPac who already has 20,000 members. They have produced two great commercials but need money to buy airtime. This is all the more crucial given the games of the last two days. We need to get our message to the public. Sad to say it was not the dog fanciers who paid for these commercials - we have them thanks to the generosity of a grant from the cat fanciers. CAN WE DO LESS? The time has come to commit by reaching into your pocket book. If you can buy a new dog toy or leash or enter a show you have money that can be going to this fight. Show me that I'm right that dog people aren't just words and no action. We need to make something happen. Do that now by going here and contribute http://petpac.net/action/contribute?page_id=MTU . An army may run on its stomach but they don't run at all without money - that is a cold hard fact. Thank you I know you will be generous. Beth Shea "

We each must do what we can and speak from the heart with passion.
We CAN make a difference.
We can be a strong voice for ourselves and our dogs.
We need hearts and courage as strong as those of our dogs.

Thank you for your help and hard work in this fight.

Beth Shea
Please support www.saveourdogs.net

To see how well we are doing to help PetPac go here

http://petpac.net/action/contribute/?page_id=MTU

Re: Ca AB 1634 Bill analysis problems

Gina, I emailed every dog person in my address book. Can we make your post a "sticky?" This is really important to the future of purebred dogs in California. It looks like the sponsors and proponents of this bill are up to dirty tricks to wear us down; "losing" letters of opposition or including them as support, etc.
Folks if you think this bill or the one in Ohio are isolated cases, think again!

Re: Ca AB 1634 Bill analysis problems

It's up to Jill if it can be a sticky or not.