Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
swimming on these hot days

How many of you regularly swim your dogs, or let them get wet in one way or another during the hot and humid Summer? For those of you that do, I am curious.... do you have to thouroughly dry them each time to keep the dreaded hot spots away? I find it hard to believe that all dogs get dryed each time they are wet. The more dogs the more drying, and it is so time consuming!! So, I guess what I really want to know is from those of you that have dogs that get wet a lot and are not dryed off, how do they do??

Re: swimming on these hot days

The hot spots develop when there is a break in the skin, bacteria develops, it gets moist and creates an environment for the bacteria to grow. My dogs have gotten hot spots when they play with each other and grab each other on the neck. A think they get scratched and bacteria in the mouth gets on the other one and it gets/stays moist. JMO Swimming alone hasn't created any hot spots.

I don't swim my dog too often, but when I do, I either let him run for a while right after swimming to get drier or dry him somewhat with a towel that I carry in my car just for that purpose. I have never used a blow dryer on my dog and the only time he got a hot spot was after being boarded while we were on a vacation.

I don't dry mine.

I think it depends on a few things; how thick is the coat? And how clean is the water?!
My older girl Fiona has lots of coat in the brisket area and down her back and rump. I have a 70 gallon stock tank that they jump in and out of on hot days while I'm at work, and if I don't change the water often enough, she will develop a skin odor/infection. When that happens, I bathe her in Nolvasan shampoo, rinse thoroughly, and towel dry thoroughly. I also sometimes will add a bit of chlorine bleach to the tank water, or change it more often, and she can go back in the water the next day. She is the only one who gets bothered. The skin infection is minor, but also it colors the fur a bit, to a rust color which looks like the discoloration dogs get when they lick an area repeatedly. It has a telltale odor to it, and since she sleeps with me, I like to nip it in the bud! I've only had it twice this year, and it's been really hot, with Fiona in and out of water A LOT!
I think a thick coat holds the moisture in against the skin for a longer time and does not allow the skin to breathe.
I also freeze Tupperware containers of ice and put a block of ice in the tank and the puppies' swimming pool for them to cool off when it's real hot!
Fortunately, I have not had a hot spot in years...now of course, having just jinxed myself I probably will!

Re: Re: swimming on these hot days

When my dogs go swimming later in the day I use my Metro dryer to blast the water out of their coats. The dryer Metro dryer does not throw heat at all...it just a strong blast of air. I don't like to put my dogs to bed when they are wet or damp...

No one here gets dried up regularly, only if they are coming inside to carpets!

Hey guys - these are "water" dogs. Labrador Retrievers! They retrieve in water. They dry!!!!
Do you think that in the field they drag along their hair dryers????
All I do, if they happen to swim in the pool or nasty water, is hose them off.
Just don't put them in a crate to dry off.

My guys swim every day in the pool from March until Thanksgiving - sometimes several times a day.

We hose them down to rinse off the chlorine, have taught them to shake on command, then let them hang around outside for a bit (like 10 minutes or so) and then they come in.

Drip dry dogs! Always dry by bedtime!

Bonnie

We also have a pool and the puppies always have a baby pool to cool off in. We just went through a round of hot spots a couple of weeks ago. I think what makes the hot spots is not the regular swimming - it's the really hot, humid, consecutive days of oppressive heat and also spraying them with pressure on the hose. The pressure soaks through the undercoat and sits there in the humidity and causes problems.

I have a nine month old that has had two hot spots already I'm pretty sure its from my other dog goofing around with him. I'm paranoid about these nasty looking things so anytime he gets wet, I dry his neck throughly. If I see any slobber on his neck, he get's his neck washed with an antibacteria soap. I'm constantly checking him for Hot Spots. mw

We let our dogs into the pool as often as possible, and the *love* it, of course! I do rinse the chlorinated water out thoroughly afterward, and yes, when I'm strapped for time (ie- not enough time to wait for a drip-dry or whatever) I do dry them before they come inside.

Mine are indoor-dogs, and the house we live in has hardwood floors in several of the rooms where the dogs like to hang out. Hardwood (especially the softer cherry floors we have) certainly wouldn't have been my choice of flooring with labradors, but they won't get changed for quite some time, so we try to keep as much moisture off of them as possible.

After towel-drying, I use a smaller Metro forced air dryer as well- no heat. I don't like that it tends to blow open an otherwise well-wrapped, closed coat, but it seems to do the trick to keep our house in one piece, while still allowing the dogs to play in the pool!

If mine have been swimming in pond water I rinse them off with water from the hose when they get home. If they are really hot from running on our "walk", I rinse them off with hose water or they take a little dip in their baby pool. They shake a little, take a roll, and I partially dry them with towels. They love it all! My male has never had any skin trouble at all. My girl, who has a much "better" coat can get some trouble around her neck sometimes. I just make sure that I keep her collar off so she can throughly dry off.

Never had a dog with a hot spot

I have 4 labs and they swim daily. We never dry them and knock on wood None of them have ever had a hot spot yet!!!!

mine are in the pond sometimes four times a day as soon as the ice melts in the spring, and through December. They are almost never dry. They swim with fish, frogs, ducks, bugs, turtles and assorted critters and algae. I have never dried a dog. I've had one hot spot this year, but don't usually have a problem. Hot spots are rare here, and I do believe it's a break in the skin. Usually in the cheeky part of the face/neck where another dog has clamped on while on a dead run.

Thank you all for your responses.

If they are swimming for field work, we use the absorber towel to get the excess water out of their coats before putting them back in the dog box crates.

If they are swimming at home, they go in their runs and air dry.

MK

We have big box fans and let them lay right in front of it if they want. I only dry them (and then hose them down again when we get home)when they are swimming in really gunky water. From the kiddie pool we don't dry them. They will roll all over the cool cement floor in front of the fan and cool off with the air flow. When you have good air circulation you can really cut down on the hot spots. (knocking wood!)

(To keep hair out of the fan motors cover the back panel of the fan with window screen material and squeegee the hair off every few days.)

After morning swimming I towel dry, drip dry, have them shake off dry then dry in the sun a tad. My dogs are still very damp in the evening ready for a 3-rd towel dry.

I can't imagine a labrador coming indoors that fast unless lightly coated or having blown all of their coat? Whatever works for each I guess.

I have a river in the back yard that only comes up to the dogs belly and they go in a couple of times a day to cool off.

They usually but tuck around the yard when they get out which helps a bit with drying. I let them dry naturally and have never had an issue with hot spots.

Oops. Meant "Butt" tuck

First time I ever saw a hot spot was on my heaviest coated girl at the time. I honestly had no idea what it was. $350 later at my vet to shave and clean it so I now treat it myself if it shows up (not many times thankfully)

My older girls have never had them, my younger girls that have much heavier coat have a higher frequency. I find the heavier the coat the more of a chance in my group anyway.

I have a gunite pool that they swim in daily . I do dry them with a towel after swimming and it does take them some time to fully dry. So far this year with all the humidity no hot spots knock on wood but everyone has blown or is still blowing coat. I keep Neo Predef on hand always but NEVER NEVER for a pregnant bitch. Always consult with your vet about usage. It works like a charm, clean the area well, dry and apply. I've found miraculous results by the next day.