Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To "B" or not to "B"

A little survey here.

Who out there has knowingly bred to an optigen B boy?

If you are a stud dog owner and own both A and B boys, what difference in numbers do you see in use of your boys?

Do any of you hesitate to keep a B boy?

Does anyone think our new found knowledge may hurt the breed in any way?

Re: To "B" or not to "B"

I've bred to a B - of course the bitch was an A.

I would hesitate to keep a boy that was a B. Since I have a small group of dogs and they are all closely related, and limited space and funds, it seems much better to place a B boy in a wonderful pet home rather than investing lots of money in him when I can't use him and his B status will reduce the number of bitches that can come to him.

I think this has helped the breed - I have a lovely A boy out of that A-B breeding that I have high hopes for. He wouldn't even exist before the DNA test. His sire didn't have to be removed from the gene pool. And think of the number of pups that AREN'T being born only to go blind!

Re: Re: To "B" or not to "B"

I have knowingly bred to an OPTIGEN C dog. The litter was amazing. The bitch we kept (optigen b) turned out to become a Champion and her offspring, optigen A kids, are champions now as well.

The beauty of testing an knowledge.

I would not hestate for a minute to use a B. Would have to be an A girl, but a really nice boy shouldn't be overlooked just because he is a B. I'd keep a B boy anytime, if he was good stud material.

I would not hesitate a minute to breed to a B or C to my A's.

When breeders start to only look at A's they are greatly limiting their possibities and handicapping themselves and their program. I am currently looking at a chocolate B stud that has outstanding lines and type that would beautifully compliment what I have here. If he was a C, I would still be looking at and using him.

All the years before the test came out we simply used common sense to plan and select our breedings. Breeders still need to use that same common sense, so not to eliminate dogs simply for an optigen rating. There is "much" more to a dog than that. The test is a tool, pure and simple. If a dog is of excellent lines and type, then use that tool to work for you when breeding that dog.

Let us not throw common sense out the window. I see many newer breeders who have been in the breed less than 15 years using optigen to breed soley for A's and I feel this will be a major step backwards for them. Most long time breeders are using it the correct way, as a tool, not as a measuring stick for the quality of the overall dog.

Breeders that only use A's could possibly add years on to their breeding goals, simply because they are eliminating quality dogs and going to dogs that are A's and close to the type they are after. Again remember, optigen is a tool, it should not be something to hinder the overall type and quality of the breed and individual breeders ultimate goals.

Great answers so far!!!

I do have a B boy and he is used right much. His pedigree, temperment and work ability are worth everything. He adds ao much, to all his pups. I have used boys before I knew they were A or B and have not been sorry. Got A girls out of it. I only use A girls with my boy. And test the girls so they can go to A or B's. Would not estitate using a B boy. And I agree, those just breeding to A's will regret it later.

I have to shake my head at the breeders who will only use A studs. The puppies I got from breedings to a B studs are out there winning. Some pups are As, some are Bs. With the test I can work with that.

Yes, I bred one of my girls (who is an A) to a B boy.

Why overlook a great boy because of a B rating? I sure wouldn't. That is what the Optigen test is for! Its a great tool. Why not use it?

I was wondering if anone knows if there is a connection to an Optigen B rated dog producing more folds and or RD in puppies produced ? This could be a optigen B rated Bitch to.

I judge eye rating on boys as equal and breed to the better dog/pedigree. I look at what each has produced, the bitch line behind him the soundness of his littermates and offspring. That is what matters. If he is an A it is like a cherry ontop for me.

HOWEVER I do discount my own boys for being 'B's . I operate on the 3 strike rule and that is a strike for them. Of course they have 2 more strikes to go, but I do hold a very high bar for a boy staying here to live up to.

I like the 3 strike rule as well. I have a boy here myself that is about to be tested, if he is a "B" that will be #1. A fair grade on hips for a boy with me would be strikes #2 and #3!!!!! (one strike for each hip...hah!)

(Gotta keep a sense of humor in this game or I'll have a temper tantrum and bawl like a baby...lol!!)

But you would have no problem keeping a B girl is my assumption?

If my girl was an A I would have no problem breeding to a B boy if he had the right stuff.

For the people that breed affected to affected, shame on them with the knowledge we have. There are more out there than you would think!

I think people look for A stud dogs because they have not tested their own b*tches and want to be safe.

Good point, Gina!

i am fortunate to have two lovely girls who are both A's from B boys bred to A mom's. Both boys are beautiful representatives of the breed and are fabulous producers; how sad if they were not used only because they are carriers!

Optigen testing is a wonderful (and important) tool, but it is not my most important criterion for breeding. A fabulous 'b' (or even a 'c' if appropriate) might be a much better choice (bred to an 'a' )than to a slightly lesser dog just because he's an 'a'. It's the whole picture--the lines and characteristics that BOTH dogs bring to the match.

just my thoughts.

I've had "B" girls they've never produced any retinal folds or RD so why assume the boys would?? RD and PRA are separate eye issues. With the "A" girls - I wouldn't hesitate to breed to a "B" boy if he was the best compliment to the girl.

Praise the Lord. I am a newbie, 5 years old. I have a "C" girl. Was very inexperienced trusted the breeder with the cute website. I was devasted to find she has PRA. Looking for help I went on the net to find breeders who would let me breed her mother, who is a "B" to their stud. Some breeders were sweet and didn't say much, just keep looking. Another well known breeder said I was irresponsible. You'd think I had a social disease. I tried to explain what had happened and she was very nasty. I said to her if I were irresponsible I wouldn't be looking for an "A" to breed to my "B" girl. After many emails two woman came to my rescue, and I used their stud. Now I have lovely "A" girls. And, if there is a "B" out there for them so be it. Like some of the people who responded to this question. Its the whole picture, and when done responsibly you can have beautiful puppies. Without the help of these two well known ladies I'd still be on the net.

Maybe it's just me, but I wish the outdated terms would go away. Dogs are no longer A, B or C but Clear, Carrier or Affected. Let's put the letters to rest and recognize this is a different and moe effective test.

And yes, I have and will use males who are Carriers on my Clear girls.

I have bred an "A" girl to a "B" stud as well and would do it again if it were the right stud for my girl.