Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sticky Topic

This dummy needs some advice badly.

I had a litter and sold the pick puppy by accident. What I mean by accident is I had the litter evaluated after he was sold to his “pet” home and then had my litter evaluated at 8 weeks by Pat Hastings and she said he definitely was the pick of the litter. The people who I sold him to brought him over for the evaluation and then obviously took him back to their home.

The new owners have only had him a day and a half. Do I have any options? Would I dare ask them if I could give them another puppy? I feel horrible and sick about this.

I finally have a show potential pup out of my own breeding and like a moron I sell him thinking I wanted a girl instead of a boy. Many of my breeder friends kept telling me to keep the girls so that’s where I focused.

I made a huge mistake and I guess I am trying desperately to figure out a way to get him back and keep everyone happy.

I could repeat the breeding but it’s been my experience that you can never count on a repeat breeding to produce the same type or quality puppies.

I so invite some thoughts and suggestions on this. I’m rather a newbie of 6 years and would really appreciate input but please not flames. I already know I screwed up big time no need to rub it in my already open wounds.

Re: Sticky Topic

I would most definitely ask them if they would be willing to swap out puppies. You might even sweeten the deal with a refund of a portion of their purchase price.

I am shocked you would even concider taking that pup away from those people! Maybe in the future you will plan ahead better and have the pup someone else decides is your pick!!

Re: Re: Sticky Topic

I don't understand your post the last sentance doesn't make sense to me. I also don't know what is so shocking about making a mistake and and they wanted a pet not a show dog. I have 4 boys that would make handsome pets for them.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am shocked you would even concider taking that pup away from those people! Maybe in the future you will plan ahead better and have the pup someone else decides is your pick!!

you could ask, but I wouldn't be attached to it. The other thing is just because it is the pick of the litter, doesn't mean it would be the pick in someone else's litter.

You could also ask if they might be willing to keep him intact and let you show him and possibly use him. I had one contract with someone and asked if I could show their pup up to 6 times a year....enough to get them out but not enough to upset the family...of course mentioning that some shows were overnight.

I would probably ask, but wouldn't be attached to it....dogs need to be superfantastic IMO to be kept, unless you can use them in your own breeding program.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

This dummy needs some advice badly.

I had a litter and sold the pick puppy by accident. What I mean by accident is I had the litter evaluated after he was sold to his “pet” home and then had my litter evaluated at 8 weeks by Pat Hastings and she said he definitely was the pick of the litter. The people who I sold him to brought him over for the evaluation and then obviously took him back to their home.

The new owners have only had him a day and a half. Do I have any options? Would I dare ask them if I could give them another puppy? I feel horrible and sick about this.

I finally have a show potential pup out of my own breeding and like a moron I sell him thinking I wanted a girl instead of a boy. Many of my breeder friends kept telling me to keep the girls so that’s where I focused.

I made a huge mistake and I guess I am trying desperately to figure out a way to get him back and keep everyone happy.

I could repeat the breeding but it’s been my experience that you can never count on a repeat breeding to produce the same type or quality puppies.

I so invite some thoughts and suggestions on this. I’m rather a newbie of 6 years and would really appreciate input but please not flames. I already know I screwed up big time no need to rub it in my already open wounds.

Re: Re: Re: Sticky Topic

This will not be the last time you will make a bad decision in this sport, but hopefully you will learn from it and not repeat it again. I have learned over the years that you should accept that what is done is done and move on. You may even find in a couple of years that it was one of the best "bad decision" you ever made. Like they say, and I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

Hi - I feel for you! Sometimes you see these pups grow out and kick yourself. I wouldn't ask for the puppy back, but I might ask if they might keep him intact and let you show him. They might be excited and honored! If they are reluctant, just write it off as a mistake learned.

Under no circumstances would I ask to trade puppies.

If you really thought that the puppy Pat Hastings chose as pick puppy was only pet quality to begin with, maybe you should trust your own instincts.

From what I understand about Pat Hastings is that she definately understands structure but because she does not breed labs or attend specialties for Labradors, she may not see "Type" in those litters of labradors she is assessing for other breeders.

I think the best thing you can do is ask the pet owners of the puppy you sold after the fact, to sign another contract stating that they agree to let you show him and that you will pay to get his health clearances done if he proves to be all that when fully grown...otherwise let the family neuter him.

One of my mentors once told me to never sell all but one of the puppies you anticipated to keep. If you planned on keeping a pick female then you better hold back 2 puppies just incase there is a special boy you would like to place in a show home even if you don't need another male. What if you have 2 special females in that litter of yours ? It's always better to hold back 2 or 3 puppies until 7 to 8 weeks of age when you can really see their structure and type as well as their personalities. You can always have a back up waiting list to call if you need to sell the 1 or 2 pups you held back for yourself.

By all means ask this family if you could switch. If they say no don't get upset. It doesn't mean this is the puppy of your dreams and you've lost him. Most of the time "picks" do not turn out. Why do you think so many breeders hold back multiple puppies from a litter. It is extremely hard to pick at 7 or 8 weeks. Pat Hastings doesn't breed labs and I don't believe she has any magic crystal ball. If it were so easy to pick our next great show dog based on structure at 8 weeks there would be a lot more successes out there.

I've done a repeat breeding and my "second" girl turned out much nicer than my first (who has won a lot!)

Good news! I just got off the phone with the puppy buyer and they agreed to keep him intact and allow me to show him at least 6 times per year as someone here suggested and to allow me to use him for breeding to my girls. And....they even agreed to a co ownership with me....I am elated right now. This was a huge learning experience for me. I'll do things differently from now on that's for sure. I feel quite lucky right now that the buyers feel honored to do this for me. I didn't ever want to break their hearts so this was my first and only suggestion. It was my mistake not theirs.

I never thought about that aspect of Pat Hastings not being a Lab breeder and may not know Lab type. Due to my lack of experience I figured all dogs need the same basic structure and I guess they do to some degree but certainly something to think about.

Thank you to those of you that did not flame me for my poor judgement.

I had better get to work on our new co ownership contract. I also believe this is a couple that is trustworthy which makes it all good.

Why are you selling pups and letting then go to new homes before they are 8 weeks old????
Don't expect sympathy - learn a lesson.

Yes - I always wait until the litter is old enough before I promise any puppy to any buyer - be it pet or show. You should have kept the puppies at a litter until 8 weeks as well - best for the puppy's development. Mistakes happen - we've all agonized over whether we're keeping the right puppy, but to have promised another family ANY particular puppy prior to evaluation just sets you up for this situation.

Sympathy? I wasn't looking for sympathy I was looking for advice. Perhaps someone has had a similar experience etc.

Why are there always a few people that have to get those snide remarks in.

To answer your question about age of placement..my pup went home 1 day prior to his 8 week birthday. I always send the pups home at 8-9 weeks.

I didn't promise him to these people. They came over every night the week before they took him home. I saw how much they loved him and I let him go home with them 1 day before he was 8 weeks old. I have pictures on my site and they have wanted him all along.

I should have told them that they had to wait until AFTER the evaluation..again my mistake that will never happen again.

I have already stated that I should have hung on to him until the evaluation. It was 100% my mistake and poor choice.

Another thing to think about - did you sell the pup with a limited registration contract? If not - you know they will be breeding that boy, espcially if he does well in the ring, and unless you covered something in the addtional agreement, you don't have any recourse on that either.

How do you get Pat Hastings to evaluate a litter?

Shocked - I agree with you 100%. Learn from it and move on.

You are NOT really thinking of asking for that puppy back ARE YOU???
I mean, we have ALL made similar mistakes. It happens. But to ask the family to give back their new pet, I don't think so.
Why don't you see if they are open to allowing you to show him or have breeding rights if they would leave him intact?
Maybe you can offer them a refund to allow a co own?
You simply CAN't ask them to give him back!!

Couldn't agree more with you Butt Tuck! Pat Hastings is good but she could also be wrong. Don't put all of your trust in one person's opinion.

You can ask, don't expect a yes though. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Re: Re: Sticky Topic Lab Lover

You didn't read the posts did you.

Hey - "Dumb As A Stump" (what she called herself!) It sounds like it all worked out for you, the pup and the family! This way if he doesn't work out, he's in a great home that loves him. They'll be thrilled if he starts winning in the ring! Good for you that you worked out such a great compromise. - By the way, we've all kept great show prospects that didn't work out and sold pups that turned out to be gorgeous. Like someone said, there's no crystal ball for any of us!

What is done is done. Unfortunately unless the people are VERY understanding and would consider giving back the puppy to exchange for another. Lesson learned, NEVER promise or let ANYTHING leave your property until you are 100 percent sure on WHAT YOU WANT yourself. You do this for YOU, not the commerical market so next time, NOTHING leaves until you have your litter graded and/or your make your choice.

Hey Stump,

Don't apologize to anyone for a mistake. We all make mistakes, but, it seems some people like to rub salt in the wound, as if you don't feel bad enough. By the sound of your exchanges you are trying to do the right thing, and shame on those who have anything disparaging to say.

I think if a deal had NOT been worked out there would have been nothing wrong with asking for the puppy back as long as there is a replacement that they wanted.

How attached could anyone be in a little more than 24 hours? It's not as though they have had the puppy for a week!!

I do agree that a lesson hopefully has been learnt by the poster. Sounds as if it has. Hang on to all your pups until you know for sure.

Most of our show potential puppies never turn out. Know that he has a great home. Enjoy the one you chose and watch her grow. Many times the pick isn't the pick in the end. You may still have the best one.

Oh Breeder00, you can become bonded to a puppy the minute you hold it in your arms... And this family had been visiting for a week I think (according to the poster.)

I bond within 24 hours! Sometimes instantly!

I'm sorry for all the stress you had to go thru but glad that you were able to work things out in keeping the pup intact and showing him.

When I am breeding for a female (per se) I tell all potential buyers in advance that want a female that they will not be ready to go home until around 10 weeks as I have to evaluate them and make my decision.

No one has ever had a problem waiting the extra 2 weeks.

good luck with this pup.

Okay you didn't want a boy and sold all the boys. You are keeping a girl. You wait til 8 weeks have your evaluation and then oh no the boy is pick and they are all sold. You would have been in a similar situation. Best to keep back pick boy and girl you can always sell them later. It is great that they have agreed to let you show the dog and be co owner the best of all situations. The dog will get the love and special love and attention of one family rather than be in a home with many dogs and it will get to come and visit you!
I have had pups evaluated by Pat. One thing she is unable to do is to tell how a head will turn out when a puppy grows to adult hood. For some reason those changes don't seem to follow the pattern of this is how the pup looks and this is how the adult will look.
She can defintely tell structure and has evaluated thousands of litters including lots of labs.
I had my puppies evaluated at a seminar where I volunteered my pups to be the exhibition puppies this was free. You however can pay for her to evaluate your pups, cheaper if she is in the area more expensive of course to fly her in. She has a website just do a seach for Pat Hastings.
Cindy