Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Very Sick Puppy in Vets

Ok everyone put your thinking caps on to try and save this 9 week old puppy.
Was to the vet office on Friday sent hom on antibiotics fever 103.4 Did blood work white count up suspected an infection On amoxy .
No strangels in the blood work. No Parvo either.
Just spoke to the vet this is what she had to offer and they have called other vets for help here.
Puppy this morning dropped off again lathargic fever 104.5 no vomiting or diareaha extended belly rear legs not working right.
Drew more blood put on IV fluids and giving anitbiotics by IV. Sent her CBC out to another larger animal Hospital in Allentown they hope to have results by 5 PM.

Her other symptoms are this.
Lower jaw hurts teeth hurt and her wrists. She is trying to determin if poisoned. She is eating and drinking for her and did so all weekend at home but very weak. She is trying to determin if septic.
I thought maybe an Icky brown spider bite or ground bees or even stepped into a rusty nail and lock jaw but then I thought I have never heard of a dog with lock jaw but the symptoms are there for it. Her blood work came back with the white cell count higher than Friday. This is why she sent it off to Allentown.
If you aver had this with one of your puppies or a dog please mail me back, I am going online to try and search a bit about this, I really want to go and get the pup and take her to Cornell but the vet has asked me to wait until she has the bloodwork back.
Any information to help will be taken greatfully.
Thank You Louise

Re: Very Sick Puppy in Vets

I did find a website that does have information on Lack jaw in dogs not cats. The symptoms are there that she is experiencing but not the tremor part the vet did not say that or a wrinkled forehead on the puppy, But the other ones are there. I did call the Vet to tell her to make sure she is checked for the Tetanus.
I found it on vetmedcenter.com after putting in lock jaw in dogs in my search engine. so maybe this is what it is.

Could it have to do with recent innoculations? Wishing the best of health to your pup.

Her shots were done on June the 11th and that is why they waited to take her to the vet on Friday she was to have her second set. She had the 4 way one on the 11th. Well as you know no sick pups get the second shot. I just wish they would of called me I would of gone and brought her here to my vet and if he said off to Cornell that is where I would of gone. I hate to disturb her treatment that they are doing right now until the blood test results are back later this afternoon.

I hope they do not loose her this would be a tragedy in itself to them and myself also. Her sire died as a result of Surgery on May the 21st he threw a blood clot and he was gone just like that. This is the last litter of his and all females 1 male and he died 2 days after he was born to small to thrive .

This has been a very sad time for all here now a puppy from him very hard to except!

I had a puppy buyer call me with the same thing two years ago.
Vet diagnosed HOD and pup made a full recovery.
Good luck to you, hope it's something as simple as mine was....

Re: Re: Very Sick Puppy in Vets

What is HOD??

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I had a puppy buyer call me with the same thing two years ago.
Vet diagnosed HOD and pup made a full recovery.
Good luck to you, hope it's something as simple as mine was....

Re: Re: Re: Very Sick Puppy in Vets

Here is a link.

http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0018.htm

Louise,
I had a similar situation with a puppy at 4 months. Diagnosis was sterile meningitis or aseptic meningitis. However, her gait was affected not just the jaw/head area. Has a spinal tap been suggested? Good news is that she is now fine, bad news is that she will probably be on steriods the rest of her life.
Good luck with the puppy. Susan

Does any one out there ever have a case of Hook Worms. My pups had round worm eggs we wormed them 4 times and again the new buyers were told to take a stool sample for the first vet visit for shots to make sure they are gone, So far so good.
Now for Lilly she was a replacement for a femal Lab that had to be put down from a funny illness could this be hook worm mess in the yard she picked up nd has them locked onto her intestines, I have never experienced these type of worms my dogs are on Heartguard plus chewables that kill all.?????

Heartguard plus gets roundworms and hookworms, but doesn't kill ALL. It does not get whipworms or tapeworms.

MK

I use other wormer for the Tapes and whip worms. I have never seen any and I hope I never ever do!
I read about the HOD thank you if they changed her food this could be a problem I have tham om Purina one Chicken puppy large breed and everyone gets enough for 3 days when they leave with the puppy packet from Purina with the coupon to get the 20lb bag.
I tell them to keep the dog on a good high quality food not the walmart stuff or dads or pedigree.

I can only tell them and guide them. I hope they did not put her on junk food.

Thanks for all the help so far still waiting on the vets call I hope she hurry's I a ma wreck waiting here.

Louise

This is a longshot but have a Terv friend whose puppy had similiar symptoms and was diagnosed with "coon dog fever!" It was a long struggle but she is fine today. You do not have to be bitten by a coon to have this disease!

I had a puppy that had septic joints. My vet told me it hapeens when bacteria is introduced into the blood stream by a bite or cut. We had a puppy in this litter that was called Jaws and almost every other puppy had punture wounds on their ears. The bacteria goes where there is alot of blood and sets up shop. In this puppy it settled in his rear hip and traveled to other joints as it progressed.

This puppy had a high fever, joint pain and was not really interested in food.

My vet put the puppy on pain meds and Clavamox.

As soon as the pain was under control the puppy started eating like he was starved. With each dose of Clavomax, I saw great improvement.

The puppy grew up to be a super dog and had several best puppy in show awards.

I am hoping for the best with your wee one.

Jan

Just a thought, Doesn't Lactose Intolerance cause some of these symtoms????????

IF it is menigitis by some chance a good contact would be Judy Heim who made a very quick move with Travis when he had a form of it (if my memory serves me correctly.) You might want to email her at hyspire2@aol.com if you wind up with the same diagnosis as she's been there, and did a wonderful job reacting quickly with wonderful care along with the excellent veterinary care he apparently recvd.

Best of health

Does the puppy have any skin lesions like vesicles--fluid filled sores--or putsules--pus filled sores. Look especially on the face at the mucocutaneous junctions: edge of eyelids, around the lips, ears??

I had a puppy develop pustules. On work up, the puppy had a fever but the blood work was normal in the beginning. Within 48 hours, the puppy progressed to long bone pain, general body pain, swelling in all four legs, and recumbency although he did continue to eat. His decline was dramatic.

We treated him with antibiotics for septicemia but he continued to deteriorate literally by the hour. I consulted a good friend of mine who is a Lab breeder and excellent veterinarian. She did some research and discoved a type of PUPPY STRANGLES that has pustules instead of the vesicles that is normally seen with puppy strangles. We did not even think about puppy strangles in the beginning because of the pustules.

I had to take a huge chance and put the puppy on steroids supported by antibiotics because he continued to go downhill FAST. If he had a septicemia, the steroids would kill him. If he had puppy strangles and I didn't put him on steroids, he would die. Thankfully, he did recover.

You may need to consider something rare like this but it is hard to say without a lot more information from you veterinarian about the physical exam findings on the puppy.

Good luck,
Leslie

Sorry, I forgot. Dogs are not very susceptible to Clostridium tetani toxin, tetanus. That is why we don't have to vaccinate them for it so I doubt that his problem is tetanus. In addition, the syptoms are not consistent with tetanus in other species.

What tests were dong for strangle?

Leslie

Louise this sounds like HOD to me.

Hi Louise,

Not sure where you are on this diagnosis and HOD sounds like a good possibility but I thought that some of the symptoms could possibly be from this also because you mentioned Lock Jaw. This is another disease that has also been seen in Labradors. Good Luck!!

Cranial Mandibular Osteopathy (C.M.O.): C.M.O. is commonly known as “Lion Jaw” because of the abnormal, increased growth (non-cancerous) of bone on the lower jaw or along the angle of the mandible where it attaches to the skull. This extra bone is dense, hard, and has a rough surface, so it usually can be felt on palpation. Generally, both sides of the head are affected. Typically, puppies from four to seven months will exhibit symptoms of C.M.O. At the onset of the disease, inflammation occurs, causing the puppy considerable pain. An X-ray can confirm the diagnosis. Treatment consists of anti-inflammatory drugs during the painful stage. The puppies nearly always recover with no further discomfort, so the disease is considered self-limiting. C.M.O. occurs in many breeds, in both small and large sized dogs. Mode of inheritance is simple autosomal recessive; both parents must have at least one gene for C.M.O.

Well just had a call from the puppy owner he picked Lilly up from the Allentown Animal hospital and took her back to there vet this morning. Her fever is back up again, The vets in the ER center could not figure out what is wrong with Lilly have not a clue they said. His vet will be taking her home with her tonight to watch over her. I am just so confused over this I have never had a sick pup like this just coccidia in a litter 2 times. I feel for the owners to has to be very hard for them to deal with this the same as it is for me. If it is HOD why is she not sick to her stomach and diarrhea????? She is eating and drinking fine no problems there. I am totally confused I have been on the net searching for anything. The next thing would be the spinal tap I am sure. They are still waiting on a blood test that will not be finished its work up till this morning what the test is for I have no Idea, I just hope it sheds some light on this, All the tests have been negative so far! I am waiting for a call from a breeder that mailed me last night for my phone # to call me she is in the state of Washington and she says she can help I sure hope so!!!! The vet said she thinks it is a form of osteomilitus in her joints from an infection of a bite that was not caught!

"If it is HOD why is she not sick to her stomach and diarrhea?????"

I researched and helped a friend with an HOD Weim and there was no stomach upset or diarrhea in this dogs symptoms.

Proper food, rest and meds and the pup fully recovered. I believe he was around 8 months old at time of diagnosis.

I pray that you get a diagnosis soon and the vets can help this pup.

Patty thanks to Allison maybe she will get better now she called the vet where Lilly is and told them what it was and the treatments to start on Lilly. All I can do is thank her for for this and the time she took to help me with the vet and to hopefully get them to start her on the medications needed for the HOD . She was not on them yet I am sure the poor little girl is in agony with pain not fair to the little girl to be sick and being tested for everything under the sun and no answers.
Again thank you all for the help with Lilly now if they just treat her I will be ever so happy if not I am afraid Lilly will pass on and I have my hands tied at the moment about that, But I am calling in a few people to help me very quickly if needed. To ensure she gets the medications and care needed to get well.
Thank you all again and Allison Hillius for stepping in by making the call to that vet to help to save Lilly hope it works.
Louise

If these folks are not financially able to handle
this crisis, please alert them to LabMed or Labrador
Life Line.

I am an intern on the LLL board. The triage committee
has been known to handle emergency cases.

It would be tragic to let this puppy pass when
methods are available to take care of these issues.

Jane Harford
RRK Labs

Jane Thank yo for your information Sandy mailed this to me who has one of the little females Lilly's litter mate about the program. I offered to help also.
Well now as it stands Lilly is on the mend they started the Clavomox and the low dosage of Prednisone and she is responding to the medications it was very difficult to get this vet to do anything but tests even after I told them it was HOD. I can not understand people at time
I have been asked to go and pick her up tomorrow so we will see if they go thru with this me going for her. And to pay the bill for today her stay and treatments,
I can not understand when you are trying to help a defensless 10 week old pup to get her better how you are ignored.!!!! Sad very sad.

Louise,

At least you're making some progress with them
agreeing to have her treated.

Seriously, we would love to have the folks
fill out an application at Labrador Life Line.
This is the kind of work that we are good at.
And I am just an intern...but have also been a
a client there years ago when I couldn't afford
heartworm and $3500 other vet bills when I adopted
an older rescue girl named Sandy.
Between LLL and Labmed, I was able to get Sandy
the heartworm treatment and so many other things
that she needed. I was working 3 jobs at the time,
trying to take care of her and my other lab Levi
and just trying to keep my wits about me.
Having a sick labby can be overwhelming(we all
know that)....and to have it be such a little
baby makes it worse......I hope they continue
to react favorably to what ever treatments are
needed for Lilly. Dog bless you as her breeder
for caring so much.....Sandy(Kemp) thinks the
world of you....and I can see why.

Jane Harford
RRK Labs

Jane Harford

Unfortunately HOD is something I have had experience with in one of my pups. When I saw the symptoms of Louise's pup I knew it had to be HOD. I am considering writing an article for the LQ on this subject as there have been more than a handful of dogs just Louise's who's owners have written the lists desperate to get help.
I am so glad that Lilly is responding to the medication.
This is truly the miracle of these lists...in short order we can help someone we don't even know across the country.