Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Urgent:Need Info On Lab Rescue in NJ, NY, PA

I am trying to help place an 8 yr old black Lab, male, intact (Jack).

His 66 year old owner (Ed) died tragically while walking Jack when the owner was hit by a dump truck.

It was just Ed and Jack for the past 8 years together and this poor dog is very depressed. Ed's daughter is in PA (from TX) caring for Jack for the next week and we are trying to get him placed by then as she has to go out of town till the end of the month. We don't want him ending up at the Humain Society. She would consider taking him back to TX but she and DH are really not dog people and would rather place him in the right home.

He is good with children, not sure about other dogs but has had dogs visit the house with no problem, needs a bit of leash training (used to a harness), up to date on all shots and vet records are available, sweet good natured boy, would prefer he goes to a home with a decent size yard if possible.

Can someone give me contact info of Lab rescue groups near PA so I can get more help in at least getting Jack fostered.

Thanks so much. Below are pics of Jack as a pup and at about 5 years of age.

If anyone on this board can take him please email me privately and I will give you the contact info of the owner's daughter.

Re: Urgent:Need Info On Lab Rescue in NJ, NY, PA

Unfortunately photo bucket pics don't work on this board and I have no other way of showing pics unless someone emails me and then I can send them if anyone is interested.

Brookline Lab Rescue
http://www.brooklinelabrescue.org/

I don't know how full they are though. Only Lab rescue in PA that I know of and PA is a pretty big state.
What part of the state is the boy in?

So tragic about his owner.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Yes very tragic. Jack is in 570 area code which I'm pretty sure is Scranton.

He looks like such a sweet boy - sure hope we can help him. He needs lots of TLC since his loss.

Re: Re: Urgent:Need Info On Lab Rescue in NJ, NY, PA

The pictures work if you strip off the IMG stuff.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Snowco/Jackpuppy2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Snowco/JackAdult.jpg

Thanks so much Joan.

Hi Patty,
I have a friend in Wva and one in Delaware I sent this page to see if they could help you out Temp.
Diane

That's my area code too. If the dog is in the Danville-Bloomsburg-Berwick areas (Montour or Columbia counties), might try The Animal Resource Center (no-kill) to see if they can foster... only phone number I know for them is for their President, Linda Bird, at 570-784-3669.

If you do know the town, and he's close by, I would be happy to put a notice on the bulletin boards of the local vet clinics.

Great help. Thanks so much.

I spoke with the daughter a little while ago and she thinks she may have a family friend willing to take Jack. She will get back to me tonight to let me know.

If it doesn't work out I will be in touch here about posting a flyer at your vets office and the possibility of temp. foster as mentioned.

PS: If this family friend does not work out I will find out exactly what town Jack is in but I think it is Scranton.

Does the daughter know where this dog came from?
Was it a breeder?

Re: Re: Re: Urgent:Need Info On Lab Rescue in NJ, NY, PA

I will ask if she can find records in the house anywhere regarding a breeder he may have purchased him from. Not likely as I am getting the impression she didn't spend much time in PA and doesn't know much about the dog. She lives in TX.

But its worth asking.

Kathy Vavrina (Franklin Hills) was not that far from Scranton... why does it stick in my head that she moved? But could be worth running the name of the owner by Kathy in case he did get the dog from her when she was near Montrose.

I had a message on my machine tonight that the daughter has found a home for Jack with the family friend.

I am going to call her to tell her to give this family my phone number in case they run into any problems in keeping him and at that time will inquire about the breeder Jack may have come from and let you know what I find out.

Thanks to all of you for your help and support for Jack. Now we hope and pray that he will stay where he is forever.

valwhalen,

would you email me privately and I will give you info on Jack's owner so you can check out your inquirey on the breeder.

Patty, I sent you an email. For some reason though, some ISP block my new email addy. If you don't get it, try emailing me from your end.

Val,

I got your email and responded. Send back or post here to let me know you got it.

P.