Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
crying puppies

I have puppies that are 16 days old. We are experiencing some very hot weather. I have fans going but they are crying all the time.I have frozen bottles with them as well. Any tips or is there something wrong?
Plus they havnt opened their eyes yet. Bit late isnt it? Should I be worried. I have never had pups that opened their eyes so late

Re: crying puppies

You could try to wetting a bath towel, ring it out
and let them crawl on it. This worked in the past for me.

I have had pups open their eyes later and they were fine.

Are they in the coolest spot you have? I used a/c a couple of years ago in a heat wave. Do you have any of those cooling blankets we use at shows?

I wet a bunch of towels and ring them out and then store them in the fridge so I always have them on hand.

They will flock to them and should settle right down.

Until their eyes open you will obviously have to place them on the towels.

You could use an airconditioner to cool your puppy room to a more comfortable temperature. That has worked well for me in the past. My Vet had a litter of pups a few years back and we had a heat wave. His pups were about the same age as yours - possibly a bit younger and were very upset in the heat . There was not an airconditioner in any stores. I loned him a noisy old one that we were not using and it worked like a charm. The pups and my Vet settled down nicely! LOL!!!!

I have a couple of pieces of ceramic tile in my box and they like to lay on those. I also have been keeping homemade rice socks in the freezer and periodically putting a couple in with them. They will cuddle up to them and almost immediately fall to sleep. I like these because the pups don't actually get wet like they would from some other methods.

My little ones are 11 days old and, even though their eyes aren't open yet, have no problem finding these cool spots.

I have done the cool damp wash cloths too and a frozen water bottle wrapped in cloth.

Re: Re: crying puppies

My pups were later opening eyes this time. But fine. In fact slower getting around, but only 5 and too fat. They are great now. But they have frozen ice bottles, when younger, they had blue ice packs covered by a wash cloth. They loved it. And they have been in the air the whole time. Just alot of coat. It is just so hot and humid.

Maybe they have to pee. That will make them cry. Hold them up to the mother and make her kick them or use a warm cotton ball to stimulate them.

I use a dehumidifier sometimes and it helps alot plus they like the humming of the motor.

Re: Re: Re: crying puppies

could they be crying because they are hungrey??????

Have you wormed them yet?

I had a pup in my last litter that didn't open it's eyes until day 18. Everything was fine.

Thanks everyone. The wet towels are working really well.

Isn't it awsome

Don't know how we did without it before we learned that trick. Although where I grew up there was central air. Not since I moved out though.