Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with stinky dog

Okay any ideas would be appreciated. I have a very stinky dog. It's July and it's hot here in NH and yet he has never had so much coat - waves and waves. He plays hard daily and I fill up the dog pool and he is my biggest wallower. I dry him with a towel and he stays outside after play time for an hour or so yet he comes in and lays on the rug and then smells like well worn old sneakers. Now my rug by the sofa and by my side of the bed smells just like him! Last night my neighbor asked me on a walk what was so stinky!!!! I tried spraying him with fabric deodorizer and I'm afraid a bath will only last a day or so. Any ideas?

Re: Help with stinky dog

I fill up a spray bottle with water and 1/8 cup Listerine. My dogs get all muddy and wet at the same time so come night time when they come in the house, I hose them off in the summer, towel dry and spritz with my Listerine concoction. I do the same in winter only I bring a big car wash bucket of warm sudsy watwer outside to clean them up. No spoiled dogs in our house (-;

Sharon, send that stinky boy down here to Orlando....
I can always fedex you sperm when you need it....
he'll have lots of girls to play with...LOL
I miss having boys so much I'll put up with the smell!

I have never tried this so I don't know if it works. But I was told that if you have a smelly dog, rinse them with water mixed with baking soda.

Re: Re: Help with stinky dog

Sharon,
It must be genetic!! Ruby is our stinky dog in the house too. She swims in the lake everyday (clean cold lake water) and she smells just horrible. But bless her little heart we love her just the same. If you find a solution to the smell please let me know!

Diane

Re: Re: Re: Help with stinky dog

The one place a dog sweats in in his foot pads and the feet get smelly. You can wash them in an antibacterial soap and rinse with water with vinegar in it. Or you can rinse in a strong tea solution. And check his ears as this another place for smells. ellie

Re: Re: Re: Help with stinky dog

HA! I agree with Becky, if it is Clinty, I will take the stink:)
I use this Shampoo called sebalyte, it has a very clean scent and I can still smell it for I SWEAR a month after I wash them any time they get wet. It has amazing anti odor ability. I am sure you are familiar with it, but if your stinker has no skin issues you may not have tried it so I thought it was worth suggesting.
I only have one girl who actually needs it, but it does so well I use it on all.
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help with stinky dog

I have a stinky swimmer here, too. The 'old sneaker' description could pertain to him, as well. I bought NilOdor deodorizing pet shampoo a few years ago. The label said, "Eliminates all problem pet odors." I was skeptical, but willing to try anything at that point. Lo and behold - IT WORKED! I'd say OxiClean for the rug should get the smell out there. Good luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help with stinky dog

Someone gave this to me a long time ago...it works

Magic Recipe
In a bucket mix:
1 full bottle of hydrogen peroxide
fill that bottle with water and add to bucket
2tsp each of baking soda and DAWN dish soap

mix together well and sponge into dogs coat..leave on for AT LEAST 15 minutes. (for REALLY stinky things like skunks leave on overnight) Rinse...stink gone

Is it possible your brand of food has changed? Our male developed terriable BO with a slight change in formula. We changed his food and the BO went away.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help with stinky dog

I have always been lead to beleive that a smelly dog is an indication of yeast.
Last year I had a puppy buyer call me with this same complaint, so I suggested a change in food. They switched from a chicken based food to a veal based food, with completly different ingredients, and the smell went away.

Thank you everyone! I have some great suggestions. Yes it's my Clinty boy. No change in food and he doesn't stink when he's dry during the winter, etc just now that he's been in his pool every day and it's been so hot that he doesn't really dry all the way until he's laying on the rug! It's like throwing a soaking wet towel on the floor in a ball and then picking it up a week later - peeeeyewwwww!

It doesn't bother me as much as my husband because when he works late Clint is allowed to sleep on the bed an makes himself comfortable right on his side complete with head on the pillow!!!!

We use listerine here for everthing , stinky dogs, barf ,pee, poop , it works great , we usually put one capful to a basic spray bottle and use it all the time. Great dry bath in the winter for the dogs. It has to be the original gold colour one though, as it works the best. Can also use it full strength for skunk, beats the tomato juice.
Goodluck