Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Foreign Breeder Judges

Our club is looking for names of breeder judges from other countries in the hopes of securing one for our 2008 Specialty. We would appreciate any and all names anyone can think of.
Thanks!

Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

Manolo Queijeiro

This same question was asked fairly recently. You may be able to scroll down and find it.

Mike

Margaret Brown

Re: Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

I just looked. There was only one reply - Carole Coode, England. Hopefully we can gather more names so that we can find one who is available.
Thanks.

Carol Coode
Marilyn Ann Nightingale
David Nightingale
Mervyn Reynolds
Michael Lanctot
Patricia Lanctot
Linda Porter
Al Porter

Re: Re: Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

Ann Taylor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

Tom Grant - Simanden
Sheelin Cuthbart - Ballyduff

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

Any input from clubs that have had foreign judges - do they usually come for back to back shows or does it work with a 1 day show? How about lodging - don't most stay longer or come before - a long way to come for 1 day and turn around and leave.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

Why don't you post your email address so replies can be sent privately? What's the point of getting suggestions and having every specialty show club see them?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

Why are you looking at English judges? Many clubs are having this discussion about English vs. American vs. Other Countries in terms of getting judges for our Specialties. Over ths past several years there is constant disappointment with the English judging. They are putting up dogs with much less coat, substance and different type that what many breeders are doing here. There are many many good American, Scandanavian and Deutch breeders out there. Why this focus on English? I don't understand it myself.
As far as the arugment that having English judges makes for a more even playing field for everyone I think that is just bunk. American breeders and even handlers are traveling to England, visiting the kennels. English judges are coming here to see certain Specialties and renewing friendships. I am not saying it is a bad thing but just trying to make people realize that many people know each other. Heck, there is even a top breeder here that sends photos of her dogs to judges several months prior to their judging assignments LOL LOL American and English judges

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

Where does she say she is looking for English judges??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

I guess I prefer English judges because they look for correct coat (without alot of long coat and wave). And, dogs that are not overdone. We're changing the look of the American labrador and I don't feel that it's always for the better. JMHO

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foreign Breeder Judges

I WOULD RECCOMEND MARION HOPKINSON-ROCHEBY!!!!!

England is the established “country of origin” for the Labrador Retriever; one would think their judges would know a typey Labrador. What many breeders “are doing here” is not necessarily correct. Just because the dogs selected by English judges have what is perceived by some as less coat and substance does not mean the dog does not have the ample coat and substance required by the standard; they just might not have the extreme amounts that we have been seeing at American Specialties lately. The whole point in going to a show is to get an objective evaluation of your dog. If people are only looking for judges who are likely to put up their particular style of dog, they are not looking for an objective evaluation, they are looking for ribbons or someone to tell them what they want to hear. I think getting differing opinions from a wide variety of judges (from all over the world) is a good reality check.

I didn't say we were looking just for English judges. We're looking for any suggestions for judges from ANY other country. Why not try something different?

Well said.

Heather Wiles-Fone

Majvor Nasman (Alvgarden, Sweden)
Pia Razera-Brulin (Winnies, Sweden)
Eva W. Mjelde (Surprisings, Norway)
Anne Lavelle (Crosscroyde, England)
Guy Spagnolo (Driftway, Australia)
Jim Nolan (Veyatie, Scotland)
Elise Nolan (Veyatie, Scotland)
Joyce Love (Rickway, Canada)
Janet Cole (Stajantor, England)
Victor Cole (Stajantor, England)
Leslie Brabben (England)
Joyce Brabban (England)
David Hepper (Mardas, England)
Marlene Hepper (Mardas, England)
Richard Wiles (England)
Tom Grant (England)
Tony Floyd (Trenow, England)
Maureen Floyd (Trenow, England)
David Coode (England)
Kirsi Loumanen (Tweedledum, Finland)
Gunilla Ek (Attikonak, Sweden)
Peter Hart (Kupros, England)
Jane Palmer (Jayncourt, England)
Moa Persson (Rossmix, Sweden)
David Nightingale (England)
Marilyn Nightingale (England)
Linda Major (Linjor, England)
Carol Reynolds (Carromer, England)
Mervyn Reynolds (Carromer, England)
John Crook (Balrion, England)
Tony Pascoe (Trewinnard, England)
Linda Porter (Lindall, England)
Marilyn Prior (Priorise, England)
Margaret Litherland (Oakhouse, England)
Valerie Walters (Ranbourne, Canada)
Anja Verbeek de Neef (Farbourne, The Netherlands)
Marie L. Van Haersma De With (Withara, The Netherlands)
Julie Bedford (Croftsway, New Zealand)
Jens Erik Sonderrup (Denmark)

Someone may have already mentioned them, but
the Hopkinsons - Rocheby

Great list. Thanks!

As Chairman of the UK Labrador Breed Council, may I suggest that our Secretary sends you a copy of our annual judges list. This list is compiled and used by all of the Breed Clubs in the UK. The list gives details of :-

(1) Judges who have already awarded at CC level (A1 List)
(2) Judges who have the backing of the BC to judge CC's but have not yet done so (A3 list)
(3)Up and coming judges who as yet have not fulfilled the criteria to judge at CC level but are looking to gain experience from judging at Open Breed Club level (similar to your Sweepstake appointments)(B List)

The list contains many overseas names and may be helpful to you, if not now, then perhaps sometime in the future.

Good Luck

hello from finland.
it might be interesting to read about finnish kennel club, FCI judges, might be nice to know?

http://www.saunalahti.fi/umt/index_e.html

click then on judges, and group 8 for gun dogs, and you will find all our gun dog judges and all our very good allrounders. just nice to know, maybe?

http://www.labradori.fi

click on the bottom left flag for english language and then on shows and you will find showresults with judges, fotos etc from labrador shows for many years, telling judge and results, might interest as well?

though, nothing is a must.
best
ritva

ps you will find links for other scandinavian judges as well.

Thank you Ritva, these lists will be an excellent source of information for everyone involved in the selection of judges here in the UK.

We all need a constant influx of new judges to maintain a balanced view within the breed.

Might it also be possible for someone to provide us with a list of current Labradors judges in the USA.

Kind regards

UK Breed Council Judges lists link:
http://www.labradorbreedcouncil.co.uk/

Mrs Rae Tassie Australia all breed judge and Labrador Breeder

Dr Michael Woods (Waterdog)
Jean-Louis Blais (Chablais) currently permit in Canada
Terry Gains (Gainspride) Canada
Judy Hunt (Windanna) Canada
Charles Hunt (Windanna) Canada

Guy Spagnolo (Driftway) Australia

Allan Bradshaw (New Zealand) - a Whippet breeder, all breeds judge but KNOWS Labradors.

Robyn Wallis (Australia) - Gordon Setters, PGBVs, judges Sporting, Hounds but KNOWS Labradors.

Sylvia Power ("Zenchel", Australia) - Labrador Breeder Judge.

http://www.ankc.aust.com/judges_list.html