Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Educate Me! Choosing a puppy from a litter

Following up to the thread regarding the choosing of puppies for families, could some of you experienced breeders explain characteristics and behaviors of puppies and how you determine which pup goes with which type of puppy buyer/family? I would like to eventually get another pup and am not familiar with observing a litter. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Re: Educate Me! Choosing a puppy from a litter

I have my puppy people fill out a questionnaire stating what they are looking for and what they don't want. If they have children or not or another dog or not.

For instance, I have 2 families waiting for my yellow boys. One has an older male at home and the other doesn't have another dog. One of my boys is very "mouthy and loud". He likes to talk and growl and bark. He doesn't mean anything by it, but he is a talker. Since one couple has an older male, I don't think this little guy would suit their household. I worry that the older dog would think my little talker is trying to take over (which he probably would try as he got older). So he's going to the couple who do not have another dog. They'll be warned to keep on top of this little guy and not let him get away with anything.

Re: Educate Me! Choosing a puppy from a litter

Maria,

I also look at what the buyers' lifestyle. For instance, if someone is an outdoors type person (hiker, mountain biker) I would lean towards a more active puppy for them. Others that have children and are more of the stay at home type (barbeques, picnics in the park) would get a more calm puppy.

Johanne

Re: Re: Educate Me! Choosing a puppy from a litter

The book "How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With" has a second on puppy evaulation and what the different characteristics mean. The Monks of New Skete also have a good book on the subject.