Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
breeding youngs stops growing

Hello every body, I am from Mexico, I have one question and what a better place for advice than this forum, I only have one bitch, she is a Mex CH, she is in season.
I all ready pick the male, the breeder or owner of the stud says that he has not complete his growing and development and if he breeds him, he will stop his natural development and won't grow or mature any more, is this true, the stud is 1 year and 2 or 3 months I think.
What he says also can happen if you breed a bitch also the same age.
Thanks for all the advice from the experts that I can get.
Sorry not to put my name, but I dont want her to be mad with me.

Re: breeding youngs stops growing

Won't effect male, but why breed without clerances? and they can't be cleared until 2 years of age here. A female is a diff story, let her grow and mature physically as well as mentally, again, 2 years old to get clearances.

Re: Re: breeding youngs stops growing

I agree. Breeding before two years old MALE OR FEMALE is too young!!

They have not completed growing or maturing--and of course they can't have any hip or elbow clearances before two years old.

MK

Re: Re: Re: breeding youngs stops growing

I think a male on Pre Lims can start earlier. Female, diff story. Hips/Elbows can be done before 2 years of age, OFA Pre Lims.

Find another stud, this owner obviously has no knowledge of Labradors. I'd be worried about other things if he/she knows this little about breeding!

It sounds like the owner of the stud is giving his reason for "not" breeding this young dog. Unless I read it wrong.

Find another stud of age with clearances.

I think hips are done at 1 year in Mexico as in many foreign countries.

Hips are done in Mexico after 15 months.

I agree with the breeder, forget about clearences that is not the reason, he is too young to breed, he has more growing to do.

The same with females, if you breed them at 14 months, they will stay that way and wont grow any more.

While he is a young stud dog, he is still able to provide viable semen. I have not had that experience or heard of it. Breeding him early should not stunt his growth, if anything, it gets their testosterone levels going and helps them mature (or at least I have heard this).

Whatever the reason for not wanting to do the breeding, stopping his maturity isn't a valid one in my opinion.

I agree with you Lucille.

Are you serious? You are actually saying that if you breed a male before they done growing, they will STOP GROWING???
Use your common sense here folks!
My goodness

Re: Re: Re: breeding youngs stops growing

See..there's that smart a$$ attitude coming out AGAIN. Only one person ASKED if it was true because she didn't believe it either. You have got to find an outlet for your *frustrations* deary besides doing it on here. Go take a nap or something, maybe you'll feel better when you get up.

Re: Re: Re: Re: breeding youngs stops growing

AND that was meant for "Lab Lover"!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

See..there's that smart a$$ attitude coming out AGAIN. Only one person ASKED if it was true because she didn't believe it either. You have got to find an outlet for your *frustrations* deary besides doing it on here. Go take a nap or something, maybe you'll feel better when you get up.

Thank you very much.
I just talked to the lady and ask her to see the forum and she apologize because that is what she thought.
We are doing the breeding!
Thanks to everyone.

I hope he has had his clearances? At least prelims???

Re: Re: Re: Re: breeding youngs stops growing

I see nothing wrong with Lab lover's reply. I never heard of stunting a male's growth by breeding.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: breeding youngs stops growing

Evidently neither did the poster or she wouldn't have asked!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I see nothing wrong with Lab lover's reply. I never heard of stunting a male's growth by breeding.