Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Antenna Tail

I have an 8-week-old puppy whose tail sticks straight up in the air like an antenna.
Will that go away or come down? It’s even like that when he’s eating.

Re: Antenna Tail

some will, some wont.
Sorry i couldn't be of more help!

Re: Re: Antenna Tail

How are the tail sets on the parents and
grand parents?

Most of my puppies carry their tails kinda
high when they are babies but settle down
by 3mo.

Re: Re: Re: Antenna Tail

Tail sets on parents and grand parents is very good. Maybe there is hope :)

I kept a wonderful boy for 5 months whose only fault was a high tail. It not only was high but arced over the back. I'm sorry to say I ended up placing him as a pet. It didn't improve...

I had a pup, last year, whose tail arched over her back like an Akita at about 9 weeks, but by 3 1/2 months it was back down to normal and is a lovely tail, now. She got nicknamed "Kita" and it stuck.

My Shanny was one of those too. I was horrified when she was 5 weeks old but knew from previous litters that it *should* come down. It did and she has a wonderful otter tail now.

This is where knowing your lines comes in handy. My 6 week old pups have 'kita tails right now but if the history is correct, then they should drop by 3 months.

Picture of Shanny's tail

Puppy

Adult

Re: Picture of Shanny's tail

Thanks for the laugh, Laura.

Re: Re: Picture of Shanny's tail

I got a kick outta that too! Thanks!

Re: Re: Re: Picture of Shanny's tail

OMG

Re: Re: Re: Re: Picture of Shanny's tail

See, there is always hope. LOL

Gotta love that one Laura Shanny is one of those very special dogs that could pull it off. Thanks for sharing!

The first time I saw that tail I admit I almost had heart failure. LOL

LOL!! Yeah, I know what you mean. I had a whole litter of those once. Every time I looked at them I made the "bllgghh" noise to myself...
Kept a bitch anyway because I reeeeaaaally wanted her. Tail is straight off her back now and barely any curve, THANK GOD!! [:))

How long does it take a curled tail like the one in the posted picture to straighten out? If it's going to correct itself would it happen by say, 3 mos., 6 mos., 1 yr or longer? For those who had more than one in a litter, do they straighten out at the same approximate time? The pictures that were posted are amazing, I have never seen anything like that before. It does remind me of an akita tail too. I wonder why that happens, it seems much different than your everyday "happy tail".

Oops, I re-read Laura's post and see she said 3 months. Is that how it always goes?

More good news for you: I have one here whose tail is now beginning to come down.... she's nine years old!

Mine are about 3 months. I would think different lines react differently and I'm sure not all 'kita tails correct themselves.

I've had some perfect tails go up as they age too, so you never know.

JP, you made me almost lose the coffee in my mouth!!

Sue

Beautiful...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Picture of Shanny's tail

lol Figures it was Shanny!

Re: Picture of Shanny's tail

Laura, what would you see, besides the tail, that would prompt you to keep this one? I have a nice male puppy (4 weeks) with a tail that goes straight up. The other pups carry them high like most puppies but this one seems to be excessive. Nice pup otherwise.

You crack me up, JP.

So, I guess about the same time they get past puppyhood (about 10 years) the tail will be carried correctly.

Cool!