Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How many dogs do you live with?

My family is accusing me of being a dog hoarder. All of my dogs get all the vet care they require, they are happy and healthy, and I place those who don't work out for my breeding program. I live with 4 Labs, and 1 cocker, and 3 Havanese, and 1 Bolonka (small rare breed the size of a Havanese.) Total of 9.

How many dogs do you live with? If any of you have kennels, don't count the dogs that don't spend most of their time in your house.

I just want to give them a perspective on people in this hobby and how they can't compare me with dog hoarders, who don't provide proper veterinary care, who have feces all over the house, and who allow their dogs to breed indiscriminately.

Re: How many dogs do you live with?

We currently have 4 in the house and hubby complains that there is never enough room on the couch for him! I guess for everyone the amount of dogs that they can handle living in the house varies but I would say that as long as everyone receives the care and attention that they need then its all good.

Re: Re: How many dogs do you live with?

2 very,very old dogs in the house. 8 in the kennels. hubby does not complain, if he did he can live someplace else.

Re: Re: Re: How many dogs do you live with?

4 live in the house all of the time. The other 6 rotate in, otherwise come into to garage at night.

Mike

I have three...I am not a breeder though. There is a limit of three dogs where I live so I would be afraid to go over the limit for fear that a neighbor would report me. The dog limit is strongly enforced in my town. I have one special needs boy that requires very expensive medication to keep him going so I have to keep my numbers down to provide the best care for the dogs I have. (if there wasn't a limit and I had more money to spend on their care I would have one or two more dogs)

6 labs 2 chihuahua's 1 is 13 and the other is the warden. He has all the labs trained out of fear.

But we will be more then likely up to 8 or 9 here soon.depending on how many we keep from the up coming 2 litters.And of course we can be up to 20+ parttime with the 1 or 2 litters does that count.?There in the house until 8 wks. normally we house about 9. Does the inside cat count to. He is the size of the 2 chihuahuas
I spend more money on there health and well being on my furkids..Then on Us

I, too, live in an area where there is supposed to be a limit on dogs - although I've never seen one in writing. I have 3 Labs and can go to 4 - I just rotate them out in the yard, and since they're all black, folks can't tell them apart. I also have an American WAter Spaniel, who tends to stand out. I try not to push it - as long as they don't bark and there's no fly/smell issue, what I do is my business.

I have three adult females in the house at all times and now a litter of seven puppes in here as well, which I am keeping one from the litter. I always tell people if I have to explain, you still won't understand!

I have three males that live in the house and a female that lives with a co-owner. I show, do advanced-level competitive obedience and advanced-level field work with my dogs and would not be able to give my dogs as much individual attention if I had any more living with me.

I have 14!! in the house. Most of them stay in the "Florida Room" though...thank goodness I have one it's tiled and indoor/outdoor carpeting. They have their own doggie door and yard fenced for them. I do live alone, wonder why? People just don't understand do they?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My family is accusing me of being a dog hoarder. All of my dogs get all the vet care they require, they are happy and healthy, and I place those who don't work out for my breeding program. I live with 4 Labs, and 1 cocker, and 3 Havanese, and 1 Bolonka (small rare breed the size of a Havanese.) Total of 9.

How many dogs do you live with? If any of you have kennels, don't count the dogs that don't spend most of their time in your house.

I just want to give them a perspective on people in this hobby and how they can't compare me with dog hoarders, who don't provide proper veterinary care, who have feces all over the house, and who allow their dogs to breed indiscriminately.

I only have 4 and my family thinks I am crazy too. My husband IS the one that lets them on the furniture. Not me.

I have 11 in the house right now, although 8 of them are in the European room if I had to give it a name that's what it would be Love Europe yet is so crowded!

Two grown adult Lab females in the house full time, and one ruling Chihuahua. When I'm home alone during the day one of the Europeans gets to roam free with the two girls, in rotation.

This is a situation which is temporarily, they have been in the house for almost two months now, and should go back into the "brand new kennel" in about a month I love having them in the house! Hubby would never agree that it last forever though.

I have 3 Labs and they are only in their kennel at feeding time otherwise we have a doggie door that they come in and out of all day at will.

I think when you get more than 5 they just don't get enough individual attention. That's just my own personal experience.

Many breeders won't fess up to how many dogs they REALLY have.

I usually have 7 or 8 in the house...this does not include any in the kennel.

I only have 6 right now. They all take turns being loose in the house. They all sleep inside, but I do have a couple that prefer to be outside(in the pools).My gang is so well behaved that people can't believe I have that many. Most think they are a wild herd--until they meet them.
Keep as many as you want! As long as they are well taken care of, you are by no means a hoarder.
Sheila

Just 2 right now. A 13 year old lab X (was suppost to be a purbred. HA HA) and a 2 year old female. Finacially, that's about all I can aford or else I would have more. I'm keeping a pup from my first litter this fall because my old boy is having some health issues and this is most likely his last summer.

8 - 2 live with close friends so they come to visit, during the week.

Every one gets attention here!

Older girls lay on the deck all day, younger ones in the house and follow me every where. We all walk at night together.

Lots of exercise and love in this kennel

YOU GO NANCY<<< more the merrier

I have 6 Labradors and a Chihuahua in the house. But...then there is "The Rule of Age". You do not have to count anyone over eight and anything less than six months, so that's really only four Labradors. Then there is "The 15 Pound Rule"...anything under 15 pounds does not count. So really I only have four dogs.

I have a total of 19 dogs, ages 3 months to 8 years at the moment, all of which sleep inside every night. About half are Labradors and the other half Goldens (one who is nuetered). We also have one non-breeding Bulldog. All total we have 5 breeding age females, the rest are retired or still just pups, or nuetered pets.

During the day, I have anywhere from 2 to 4 in the house with me and my two cats, 4 to 8 at my trainer's house where they spend time inside with his cats, other dogs, and kids, as well as time outside during formal field & obeiance training. The rest of the dogs spend a good part of the day in a large kennel or in the 1/4 acre play yard with lots of toys & a kiddy pool.

There are no "kennel dogs" here. Even though I may have a "kennel" and though each of my dogs spend time each week in a "kennel", they are all well socialized with people and other animals, and they are all housebroken.

All the dogs get plenty of time, attention, and socialization both inside and outside my home. They all get time inside with me, outside in the yard to play and run around, and time at my trainer's house where they get used to being around children and other dogs besides my own. I think it really makes them happy always having something fun to do, instead of just the same old thing everyday. After all variety is the spice of life right, lol:)

Plus, if you do choose to have as many dogs as I do, you really have to make sure they all get the same time and attention as if I only have one or two. And the time spent with them really shows. They are all happy and well behaved, unlike my neighbor's dogs. I guarantee you I spend a lot more time with each of my dogs, then any of my neighbors who spend maybe 15 mins with their one or two dogs. It's sad. I think when you make your dog's your life they know it. A lot of people have a pet and tend to forget about it, and never really spend that much time with them after work, household chores, taking the kids where they need to go,etc. All the more reason to carefuly screen potential customers before sending one of my babies to a new home.

Anyway, I seemed to have run a muck here. So, in short, I have 19 dogs, 2 to 4 in the house with me on any given day and another 4 to 8 in my trainer's house any given day. Needless to say, when I'm not with the dogs, I'm cleaning up after them, lol.

:)

I have 12 but I am posting anonymously. No way I want to state on a public board how many dogs I own for the world to see.

I have 4, all of which sleep inside.

However, the two young ones spend the better part of their waking hours out in the yard, and I switch the two oldsters back and forth. If I'm downstairs cleaning or watching TV, the young ones sometimes come in, but the puppy's not allowed upstairs 'cause she harasses the cat.

I think we are all safe.....after all they are not cats.

I love my wife dearly but if I didn't have a wife I would own a houseful of dogs. I only have two in my house right now. Another 2 stay with my sons.

We have 3 - all house dogs, all actively competing or doing volunteer work. 3 was not much more work than 2, the jump from 1 to 2 was a big adjustment. I know from having dogs visit that more than 3 would be more than I would want to handle full time

We have 9 dogs . A total of 7 Labs(6 Blacks and 1 Yellow). 4 of which are altered pets, 3 are our breeding program foundation. Then we have our 2 rescued lovable mutts. Gotta love them puppers !

I have 11 Labs that live in the house with me. The oldest is 13 1/2 and the youngest is 9 weeks old. I have a dog door in the kitchen door so they can go out into a large fenced in back yard. I also have a 20 year old cat!

I have 12 dogs living with me. 11 Labs and a French Bulldog. Ages range from 9 months - 12 years. No kennels as in cement runs, etc... An acre of grass fenced in with 2 attached smaller fenced in areas with direct access to downstairs where those that aren't 100% house dogs are crated at night.

Hairball....I've never used the "Rule of Age" on my husband
"I'm Just Growing Them Out" works for me......so I really only have 7 Labs

Thanks for letting me know about the age rule and growing them out!!! Now I only have 3
Sheila

Thanks from me too..my numbers went down to 2 and in another 5 months will go down to 1 after a certain yellow girl hits 8. Must be time for a new puppy
My girls are in the kennel when I'm at work and on the couch when I'm home. 13 1/2 yr old and her 9 yr old daughter(shh, don't tell them that they don't count)7 1/2 yr old and almost 3 yr old who really thinks she should be the only child!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Thanks for letting me know about the age rule and growing them out!!! Now I only have 3
Sheila

Re: Re: Re: Re: How many dogs do you live with?

Nancy, some of those small dogs have to be doubled up to equal one Lab.

I have 9 living in the house. They run in 2 different groups. My old 11 1/2 yr old does as he pleases and then I have a group of 3 and a group of 5.

Bonnie

I have 6, but with the Rule of Age, I only have 5 'cause one is 12 1/2, then we have my daughter's Golden retriever, so he doesn't count toward my Labrador count :-) I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, a 2 year old and a 17 month old. And yup all house dogs unless we're on vacation. My father in law's favorite comment is what an expensive dog house I've built for my dogs!!!! We have a doggie door and unless someone is in season (which the two girls seem to go in one right after eachother!!) they all run together. 2 of the boys are neutered and only one intact.
Course, wouldn't have it any other way, although, we may have one more coming in the next two months, but for the first 6 months according to the rule, they won't count anyways!!

Chantel

Who counts?

I rarely count, I see no sense in it at all. Seems the first question asked by people that don't really "get it" ! I look at faces to make sure they all got fed, that's all that matters !

......and they all sleep in my bedroom at night. I don't mind if they want to come up on the bed with me.

Of course, I don't have a husband cluttering up the place...........

Mine receive plenty of love, attention & training, all necessary vet care (and maybe even some that isn't, like massage & acupuncture), and the best food I can find for them.

A dog hoarder (or "collector) is something else entirely.

I have eight Labradors...they all live in the house and sleep im my bedroom at night....my husband wouldn't have it any other way !! We do have 4 acres all fenced in.... with an inground pool that is used daily....also a dog room in our downstairs that is tiled and used to separate them if needed.

You must have one big bedroom!
Annie

I'm just starting off, but have 2 labs- both housedogs.

They go out to play in the swimming pool, for potty breaks, for family trips, for any competitions or classes, and for walks, obviously, but most of the time, they're inside soaking in the A/C with the rest of us in this southern California high desert sunshine. It seems like these hot summer days, I virtually have to shove them out the door for potty breaks!

I have 8 labs from 11 weeks to 8 1/2 years old. They all live in the house. They do have crates but only when we are gone and the young ones at night. I do train all of them. My older 2 are now retired but the rest are 3 and under. I train in conformation, obedience, rally and agility.

My mom and MIL do think that we are crazy but my husband and kids are behind me 110% and that is all that matters to me.

I have 5 living with me, my own 4 and the service
puppy in training. All of them sleep with me, rotating
turns on and off of the bed.

Just like many others have said, I am single and
have a home that features all of their comforts.
I am getting to also open up a specific kennel
with doggy door to the outside. They're usually
partially kenneled during the day(older ones aren't
and those youngsters not yet trustworthy are crated.

They're all young, too. My two oldest boys are 3
a 2 yr old male, 19 month old female, spit is 16 months.......never a dull moment at my house.

Jane Harford
RRK Labs(RRK stands for Rowdy Ranch Krew)