Comment
Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning

This is in Montclair, NJ.

Linda
http://grayhart-weimaraners.gotpetloversonline.com/

----- Original Message -----
To: NJDogLaw@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 7:07 AM
Subject: [NJDogLaw] Re: FW: URGENT - Montclair Anti-Chaining Ordinance Introduced

ALERT! 2nd READING, PUBLIC HEARING & COUNCIL VOTE ALL IN ONE NIGHT!

PLEASE - EVERY DOG OWNER/GROUP/CLUB IN NJ - COME OUT TO OPPOSE THIS!

TUESDAY, JULY 24, 7 PM - MONCTLAIR TOWN COUNCIL
205 CLAIRMONT AVE.
MONTCLAIR, NJ

VERY BAD.- Will have a transcribed official version later this morning.
a.. Bans tethering for any longer than 30 minutes in any 24 hour period either indoors or out.
b.. Gives search and seizure powers to "any animal control officer, police officer, sheriff or humane society official"
c.. Allowed to seize animal and leave impoundment notice on door
d.. Introduces guardianship language
e.. Penalties $2,000 per day and or/ 90 county jail and or 90 days communtiy service
f.. Each day of noncompliances counts as separate vialtion & penalities applied for each day

BACKGROUND
There was no prior notification of the Montclair anti-tethering/penning ordinance in the paper -it was posted on the city council chambers bulletin board just prior to the city council meeting.

The ordinance was introduced by the town manager, Joseph Hartnett, not by the city council, supposedly based on "complaints about tethered dogs" his office has been receiving.

BTW - was not that the meeting, as I was in Phillipsburg, NJ with Barb Reichman the very same evening fighting the proposed breed ban there.

The town Manager, Joseph Hartnett, has been in a property dispute with the local shelter for some years.

He recently took the animal control contract away from the local shelter and just hired a new animal control officer backed by HSUS & Best Friends.

The new AC gave testimony before the council on Tuesday 7/10 to the effect that tethering leads to aggression - I am waiting to get the minutes of that meeting transcribed - by tomorrow.

PLEASE HAVE READY:

WHAT WE NEED - I will be looking for letters of opposition from every dog club, rescue group/law enforcement/working dog club from here to eternity that opposed anti-tethering laws based on false information, etc. ON letterhead please.

Please DO NOT SEND and model ordinances, and "consolations, substitutions "at risk dangerous dog models", any "give backs" or anything that in anyway limits or restricts dog ownership.

This is a NO SURRENDER fight.

Will advise & ASAP with all contact information and a copy of the text.

Thank you all so very much in advance,

Barbara

--- In NJDogLaw@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Reichman" wrote:
>
>
>
> Council restricts dog tethering
> Wednesday, July 11, 2007
>
> By ERICA ZARRA
>
> Montclair's animal cruelty laws are about to get stricter.
>
> The Township Council has introduced an ordinance that restricts an animal
> from being "chained, tied, fastened or otherwise tethered to dog houses,
> trees, stakes, poles, fences, walls, or any other stationary objects
> outdoors or indoors as a means of confinement for more than 30 consecutive
> minutes in any 24-hour period," as described in a municipal document.
>
> "Dogs that are tethered become, without a doubt, aggressive," Montclair
> Health Officer Tom Restaino told municipal officials.
>
> According to the proposed ordinance, proper restraint of a pet exists when
> the animal is "enclosed and provided with proper food, drink, shelter or
> protection within a house, building, properly maintained fence, pen or other
> enclosure."
>
> Pens for an animal weighing 35 pounds or more must measure at least 150
> square feet and be at least eight feet in height, as described in the
> ordinance.
>
> Enclosures also must be maintained, kept free of the animal's waste
> materials and other trash, and be sanitized on a daily basis. The top of the
> pen must also be covered to provide an animal with shade and protection, as
> stated in the document.
>
> "This is a tool for me to be more effective," said Animal Control Officer
> Melissa Neiss, who noted that the subject of tethered dogs is one of her
> most prolific complaints.
>
> Any person that violates the ordinance will be subject to a number of
> consequences, including a fine not exceeding $2,000, imprisonment in the
> county or municipal jail not exceeding 90 days, or a period of community
> service not exceeding 90 days, to be determined by the municipal court
> judge.
>
> "My philosophy is to educate first. If people are cooperative, then I won't
> issue a summons," Neiss said.
>
> The ordinance will have a second reading and a public hearing on Tuesday,
> July 24.
>
>

Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning

I actually agree.
Tying out can and does create aggression through barrier frustration...as a dog trainer and as the person who says who will live and die in our shelter, I deal with this problem a lot. Tying out is dangerous for dogs in that they can become entangled. It also leaves them open to attack from other neighbourhood dogs. It is also fairly easy for dogs to slip their leads while on tie out.
I would never sell a puppy to somebody who does not have a proper enclosure for a dog, period. It shows lack of commitment to the dog IMO. Tying out for a quick supervised pee is one thing and I believed it is addressed (albeit not very well), in the ordinance.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I do agree as I think they are targeting the dogs who live their entire lives chained to a doghouse. Surely responsible pet owners can spring for a fence or a $200 pen???
There is a big education push on in our area right now for this very thing.

Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning

Sorry, but I don't have a problem with this ordinance What's the problem now? Are we fighting for the right of owners to tie their dogs to an object? I won't give my support for that.

Re: Ordinance on Tethering and penning

I also agree, dogs should not have to live their life on a chain. I see it far too often here in Florida. It's hot and humid right now and to see these poor dogs tied to a tree or a dog house unable to move any further than six or eight feet is abuse. There's a herding dog on my way to work, tied to a tree. It's sickening. That dog has instincts to herd and run, instead he sits day in and day out tethered barely able to move. They park their cars and trucks in front of him so he can't even see. It makes me so angry I've started to take another route to work so I don't have to think about it.

Re: Re: Ordinance on Tethering and penning

I don't see the negative if this passes. no letters of objection form me either. I see the bill benefits the dogs.

Re: Re: Re: Ordinance on Tethering and penning

Read the entire bill, it is an invasion of privacy not just an anti-tethering and penning bill. That is why you should oppose it.

If I read it correctly it implies "inside or out" meaning your inside area would have to be 10'X 15'per dog. Basicly could outlaw crating by someone's definitation. They're also forgeting most residental areas only allow fencing up to 6' in height, and many new developments will not allow any type of fencing other than elctronic fences.
Better read between the lines.

Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - The COMPLETE Ordinance (LONG)

The following is not a criticism, but an observation. The amount of posts I have read on this Forum shows the level of its membership's knowledge on contracts for stud fees, puppy sales, and related items is extremely high. There are people on this board who can point out the most nuanced meaning of certain words or phrases in a dog sales contract.

But take the same group of people, and tell them only about one aspect of a proposed ordinance or law, and if they like that one aspect, even though they have not had the opportunity to learn about the rest of the proposed legislation, they will say the entire piece of legislation should be passed.

I want to suggest to these people, that just as with a contract, you do not have to live with one phrase or paragraph in the signed contract, you have to live with the ENTIRE CONTRACT. The same is true with any municipal, country or state law. You live with the ENTIRE LAW which is passed, not just the part you like.

There is an very obvious push across the nation right now to have laws passed, which have one or two very positive aspects incorporated into them, and then a host of very unsavory antipet owner, antibreeder provisions buried in the text. No one who is an intelligent dog owner or breeder should throw their support behind any new law or ordinance unless they know absolutely all of its ramifications. Apply the same scrutiny you apply to these laws, that you would apply to a dog sales contract. Unless you get to read the entire contract, there is no sale!

Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - The COMPLETE Ordinance (LONG)

I think these proposed laws have the dog's best interest at heart. It is ABOUT the dogs, not the owners. Understandably, it doesn't make owners too happy if it affects their pocketbooks or inconveniences their lifestyle. Something needs to be done about dogs being tied up or spending too much time crated. What do your propose Devil's Advocate?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Very simple solution

It is actually very simple. You make sure the ordinance deals with that issue only and nothing else. Then you make sure the law has legal standards so when it is enforced, it is enforced uniformly and not at a dog control officer's whim. You certainly would not pass a law which would allow any animal control officer unfettered access to your private property. Nor would you allow a dog control officer to take your dog, without having a standard as to why a dog was chained, how long were they chained, where they might be chained, how long the chain might have been, etc..

You certainly do not allow an ordinance to be passed which is overemcompassing in scope, and deals with other issues. Most people (perhaps even you), don't realize they have certain civil freedoms, which allow them to enjoy pet ownership. Unfortunately some people (perhaps even you), will allow these rights to be taken away on a false pretext (protecting the dog), when it is actually a way for some people to reduce pet ownership, which is an idea they do not agree with. Wait. That might you as well. Nice try though.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Very simple solution

>>Unfortunately some people (perhaps even you), will allow these rights to be taken away on a false pretext (protecting the dog), when it is actually a way for some people to reduce pet ownership, which is an idea they do not agree with. Wait. That might you as well. Nice try though.>>

I'm for the dogs and for protecting them against paranoid people (perhaps even you) who feel anything being done to help might in some way reduce their right as a pet owner. Anyone who actually "enjoys pet ownership" does not have to worry about some overzealous animal control officer misinterpreting a situation and walking off with their dog. It sounds like some people (perhaps even you) prefer to make a mountain out of a mole hill at the dog's expense.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Very simple solution

Gee, considering your response doesn't deal with any of the legal points I raised makes me think I was right on target. We will just have to let the people reading our respective posts decide who has an agenda with dog owners and dog breeders at heart and who might have other interests they are promoting, which are really neither dog nor dog owner nor breeder friendly. Oh well. Have a nice night.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Very simple solution

Here we go again. There's no agenda here. You have a nice night too.

Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning...My 2 cents

Devil's Advocate...

How right you are. So many of those who say that they support "pets", also support doing away with breeding/breeders. So much of the legislation being pushed in so many states/locales currently is advertised relative to its one or two major GOOD points. However, it doesn't take too long to see the potential negative fallout of all the other "stuff" that's also written into these bills.

If you follow the PETA/HSUS philosophies, we should ALL spay/neuter our animals immediately, or by 4 months of age at the oldest,and adopt an animal from a local shelter (also already spayed/neutered). Then, within a decade or so, there will be no more dogs/cats for anyone to have to worry about since there will be no breeders and no intact animals left!

I don't like to even think of a world without my dogs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Very simple solution

While I find the part about tethering fine, the other parts, this one in particular, disturbing:

"> Pens for an animal weighing 35 pounds or more must measure at least 150
> square feet and be at least eight feet in height, as described in the
> ordinance.
>
> Enclosures also must be maintained, kept free of the animal's waste
> materials and other trash, and be sanitized on a daily basis. The top of the
> pen must also be covered to provide an animal with shade and protection, as
> stated in the document."

Here's the question...why must the sides be 8 feet tall (that would be the same height required in MY state to house a dangerous animal, such as a stallion or bull which has been at large once in it's life) AND the pen be covered?

By this law, my 40x100 foot dog yard must be not only raised 3 feet, but covered. I read the above statement to be "covered completely" which is absolutely rediculous on a pen that large. And my dog yard is small compared to most breeders.

Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning...My 2 cents

I was just watching a 60 Minutes segment called "Meet Sam Simon, The Dog Nut." He takes dogs from shelters in Los Angeles and trains them to become service dogs. They mentioned how many thousands of dogs are put down each year which, I believe, is the goal of some of the new legislation. These aren't PETA/HSUS groups. Common sense says there's something very wrong with how many dogs are killed each year and it needs to stop. It's a sad state of affairs when all you walk away with reading proposed new ordinances is there will be no more dogs or cats for anyone. I'm a dog breeder too and do not want my rights violated, but I also feel for the organizations out there who are trying to rehome or train dogs that will otherwise be euthanized.

Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning...My 2 cents

>>They mentioned how many thousands of dogs are put down each year which, I believe, is the goal of some of the new legislation.>>

I was way off on the total number of animals killed each year, this excerpt is from the 60 Minutes segment...
"The dogs all come from southern California animal shelters, where many of them would otherwise be put down, a euphemism for killed. A fate that the ASPCA says befalls as many as nine million lost and unwanted dogs and cats each year in this country."

Nine million, it's unfathomable.

Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning...My 2 cents

How is creating laws that take dogs out of homes--albeit possibly poor homes--going to reduce the numbers of dogs being euthanized?

Re: Re: Re: Show me the money!

Keep in mind several points:

1) When people talk about how many dogs wind up in shelters, you have to ask, what exactly are the numbers and is anyone really compiling statistics which are recorded and can be compared? An example is the recent law in California, where the numbers showed shelters there were getting LESS dogs over time, not more. Just because people keep repeating the mantra there are too many dogs produced, doesn't necessarily make it true.

2) Another issue is what dogs wind up in shelters? Does some of them come from people making spur of the moment purchases, who are not responsible, and then want to simply get rid of the dogs? Are some of these dogs ones which were bred for fighting, which are not winning and therefore cut loose? Are some of them dogs which actually got lost and will have them owners coming after them soon?

3) Why are most of these new dog laws such incredible money makers for the towns, cities and states who pass them? I think animal control should be all about protecting the animals, not creating governmental "cash cows". I have yet to see one of these new proposed animal protection laws, which did not come with incredibly high fees attached, which go to whatever governmental entity passes them. I think the groups promoting these "animal protection" schemes knew most public entities would be thrilled to have a new source of income other than the regular taxes, and would jump at the chance to pass them. I am still waiting to see any of these laws have a first notice provision included, which would prevent any fines for a first offense. You have to wonder.

4) Finally, why are dog owners/dog breeders having their property rights taken away by these new proposed laws? These new proposed laws almost always give animal control officers a right to come on private property without a showing of proable cause. They also almost always seem to allow the animal control officer to remove animals, without good cause. The only reason any animal control officer should ever be allowed on private property to take an animal is when it is a threat to public health, safety or welfare ( proven extremely vicious and unrestrained or rabid ). Other than that, private property to me, should be just that, private.

Back to my original premise; any new proposed law should be reviewed in its entirety, for all its ramifications. If we do not pay attention, we will all start to lose our rights as owners and breeders.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning...My 2 cents

Maybe the goal is, "If you're going to have a dog, you're going to learn how to properly care for it." Some of these poor animals would be better off. There is no quick fix to a problem as big as it is, but there are at least some decent, caring folks out there trying to come up with a solution. This, "Oh no, it must be PETA or some other animal protection group trying to take away our rights as pet owners" mentality is not going to help the nine million dogs being killed each year.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning...My 2 cents

"Maybe the goal is, "If you're going to have a dog, you're going to learn how to properly care for it." Some of these poor animals would be better off. There is no quick fix to a problem as big as it is, but there are at least some decent, caring folks out there trying to come up with a solution. This, "Oh no, it must be PETA or some other animal protection group trying to take away our rights as pet owners" mentality is not going to help the nine million dogs being killed each year."

So you are agreeing that it is reasonable for any dog yard to be 8 feet tall and completely covered?

A law must be considered not only for the main points, but also the little words that are slipped in. Certainly if taken to the Supreme Court, this law would not be upheld as the animal control officer does not have to prove to anyone but him or herself that the law has been violated in order to sieze private property.

Again--I do not disagree with the tethering portion of this law--it is the entire rest of it which is suspect. We haven't been provided with the full wording of this law--would you be in agreeance if, for example, all fines gained from this law were to turn into a direct payment to the officer who seized the dog?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning...My 2 cents

My interpretation was dog pen, not dog yard. I have my yard fenced, it is not eight feet high. My garage is fenced with a dog door and air-conditioning for the dogs, it is eight feet (or higher). Her statement that her philosophy is to educate first and if people are cooperative, then a summons won't be issued says to me they want humane treatment for the dogs and plan to enforce it. I agree.

THANK YOU! Devils Advocate, for answering every question pretty much as I would have. I have given links countless times on these boards to websites that explain the animal rights movement, peta and HSUS goals to eliminate pet ownership and shelter stats etc. ad nauseum. People refuse to be educated. In one recent thread people, (anonymously of course), offered up how many dogs they have in their home. Boy wouldn't the local animal rights people love to know who you are so they can turn your butt in for violating some limit law or another. One Law is all it takes. When you have a problem with a bad law being enforced against you and need real help what will you do then?

As somebody who works in a shelter, belive me, we do not have the resources to run around checking every pen and rope. It is also our goal to keep the dogs in their homes, not to take them away!!!! Good lord, do you think the animal control officers want to take dogs away from owners when they are well looked after? Education has and will be the first line of defense because nobody wants to remove an animal who is doing OK in his home and risk euthanasia or parvo or placing him in an even worse home. We leave dogs in some pretty shabby and just OK homes every day because we know that it beats the alternative.

The SPCA is not our enemy and we have to pick our battles. If we pick apart every attempt they make to protect the dogs we claim to love, then what will they make of us and how much will they trust our opinion in the future? Yes, dogs are property and we have rights as property owners but this right has been abused countless times and to date, nothing has effectively been done about it. Unless anybody else comes up with a better strategy that will actually work, I see a plan that has some flaws but has admirable goals.

I know PETA is often a driving force behind these proposals, but you also need to educate yourself and understand the other side, the one that euthanizes dozens of healthy animals each week. It wears you down and they feel they need to do something. I have the delightful job of temperament testing and choosing who will live and who will die. The number one reason for euthanasia is behaviour problems related to lack of socialization, period. The more dogs I see chained to dog houses, the more depressed I become because I know these dogs personify the types of dogs I have to kill every day. There are very real problems related to tying dogs out, especially dogs with breed drift toward aggression or aloofness and to high prey dogs. Fortunately I am not the one that has to hold these dogs when they die. If I were, you can bet I would be even more involved in trying to find solutions and I guarantee none of those solutions would be perfect.

We as breeders do not have good reputations with the shelters right now. Unfortunately we get mixed in with the 'breeders' who do not take animals back, who call the shelters when their dogs can no longer be bred, or who hoard dogs or cats and cost the shelters a LOT of money and heartache in seizures and care of the seized animals. I am not saying that we are part of the problem but if we block their every attempt to make a difference, we quickly become part of the problem. I doubt an ordinace could ever be created that would make everybody happy. At some point, somebody has to lose and I just hope it isn't the dogs.

Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war

It's the same complaint everytime someone tries to help the dogs. It's usually the same people on this board ranting how their rights as a dog owner are being violated and that sooner or later there will be no more dogs and cats. What have your protests accomplished other than shelving a recent bill? Dogs are still tethered, spending too much time in small pens and crates and worse yet being bred to death in commercial kennels and mills. Gina, you mentioned a recent thread where people posted anonymously, I haven't seen Devil's Advocate's name anywhere, what do you have to say about that? There are many issues that need to be addressed, I say it's about time we put the animals first.

*WE* do put our animals first. And there are already LAWS to protect animals but they don't get enforced. It's much easier (and cheaper) to create new laws that cover everybody. When there aren't any legal breeders left because it's too hard to get a breeders permit or kennel license or prove your dog is show quality. Then how can you really say the dogs are treated better? How long has murder been illegal? Since Moses got those stone slabs...right? Well how come people still kill each other every day for really dumb reasons? Read the news if you don't believe me. People ignore laws all the time.

If they restrict how long your dog can be in a crate or change the standard size of a dog kennel run are you going to abide by that law and rip out your kennel and start over? How many Ohio breeders are going to cut back in breeding to stay under the radar if the new law passes there? Are you going to license every dog and keep a collar on it all the time?

Nowhere in any of the laws we have seen lately do they address "getting rid of" large volume commercial breeders. You can pass a law that says your dog must be fed filet mignon and sleep on pure silk but if they don't enforce it what's the point?

Re: Re: Re: Montcalir NJ - Ordinance on Tethering and penning

You said it all and very well!

>>As somebody who works in a shelter, belive me, we do not have the resources to run around checking every pen and rope. It is also our goal to keep the dogs in their homes, not to take them away!!!! Good lord, do you think the animal control officers want to take dogs away from owners when they are well looked after? Education has and will be the first line of defense because nobody wants to remove an animal who is doing OK in his home and risk euthanasia or parvo or placing him in an even worse home. We leave dogs in some pretty shabby and just OK homes every day because we know that it beats the alternative.

The SPCA is not our enemy and we have to pick our battles. If we pick apart every attempt they make to protect the dogs we claim to love, then what will they make of us and how much will they trust our opinion in the future? Yes, dogs are property and we have rights as property owners but this right has been abused countless times and to date, nothing has effectively been done about it. Unless anybody else comes up with a better strategy that will actually work, I see a plan that has some flaws but has admirable goals.

I know PETA is often a driving force behind these proposals, but you also need to educate yourself and understand the other side, the one that euthanizes dozens of healthy animals each week. It wears you down and they feel they need to do something. I have the delightful job of temperament testing and choosing who will live and who will die. The number one reason for euthanasia is behaviour problems related to lack of socialization, period. The more dogs I see chained to dog houses, the more depressed I become because I know these dogs personify the types of dogs I have to kill every day. There are very real problems related to tying dogs out, especially dogs with breed drift toward aggression or aloofness and to high prey dogs. Fortunately I am not the one that has to hold these dogs when they die. If I were, you can bet I would be even more involved in trying to find solutions and I guarantee none of those solutions would be perfect.

We as breeders do not have good reputations with the shelters right now. Unfortunately we get mixed in with the 'breeders' who do not take animals back, who call the shelters when their dogs can no longer be bred, or who hoard dogs or cats and cost the shelters a LOT of money and heartache in seizures and care of the seized animals. I am not saying that we are part of the problem but if we block their every attempt to make a difference, we quickly become part of the problem. I doubt an ordinace could ever be created that would make everybody happy. At some point, somebody has to lose and I just hope it isn't the dogs.

Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war>>

Gina, it is nearly impossible to keep this thread on point. The issue is the overexpansiveness of the proposed Montclair law, and how it goes beyond the single purpose it supposedly only deals with. The other side keeps coming in with distracting unsupported statistics, and ignoring (inadvertently or deliberately) the other provisions which have nothing to do with the health or welfare of the dog, and questioning who is making comments rather than dealing with the actual substance of the comments themselves.

I questioned the lack of standards involved with what would be considered improper leashing of a dog. I questioned why the sanction fees are so high. I questioned why there is no first warning provision in the proposed ordinance. People who would be concerned about a dog, would still relate to all the points I raised ( none of them are contrary to treating a dog well ). However, just like a lot of these new proposed laws, you have people flying under the rader, saying "I have the pet's best interest at heart" over and over again, until they hope people will only listen to what they are saying, and not what they are actually doing or supporting.

Just like you, the best thing I think that can be done is to point a big bright spotlight on the actions of these people, and point out the full legal ramifications of the proposed "only good will" legislation and ordinances they are trying to foist on the unknowing and unsuspecting public.

To the people who genuinely care about dogs, I wish only the best. To those of you with other agendas, here's looking at you, and telling others to look at you as well, and telling them to watch exactly what you are trying to do.

To: Lab Breeder and The Other Side

Please take time to read through these bills, as D.A. has suggested, to really see what has been written into them. I live in Ohio and have read the proposed HB223/SB173. A local paper directly referred to the HSUS as being a strong supporter of the bill, which is proclaimed as the "puppy mill bill". It has a few points that directly affect puppy mills, but there is much more written in that will affect EVERY breeder in the state...and most is NOT positively.

Also, I have no quarrel with the SPCA and the many local humane societies around the state/nation. However, if you take a serious look at the HSUS you'll see that they do NOT sponsor any physical sites that act as humane societies (although I did hear recently that they may have ONE now); their primary purpose is to collect money on the pretense of being a humane society (I've talked to any number of people who think the HSUS is "just like" their county shelter!) which they then use to further their political agendas.

Too many people are willing to take note only of what is told to them...that is the animal rights agenda: convince the general public and the legislators that these bills are good so that they'll support them. Once a bill is passed, it's easier to make "adjustments" further in their favor down the road.

If you TRULY care about animals and their care, get people to enforce the laws that are already out there. New/more legislation won't solve the problem.

Re: To: Lab Breeder and The Other Side

>>It has a few points that directly affect puppy mills, but there is much more written in that will affect EVERY breeder in the state...and most is NOT positively.>>

Sorry, but there ARE breeders that need to be affected.

>>Also, I have no quarrel with the SPCA and the many local humane societies around the state/nation.>>

Well, I surely hope not.

>>Too many people are willing to take note only of what is told to them...If you TRULY care about animals and their care, get people to enforce the laws that are already out there. New/more legislation won't solve the problem.>>

We are taking note of what is being told to us by the compassionate, hard working folks who are there and KNOW what is happening in the shelters. What laws are out there that are not being enforced? Any law they try to enact is shot down by groups more concerned about their rights than the dogs.

Devil's Advocate...sorry, but your posts reek of agenda.

Okay, "Breeder", your last paragraph has given you away as being an AR advocate. Since you won't identify yourself by name, this "discussion" is over.

Have a good life...but leave me and my dogs out of your agenda!

Re: Re: Of course it does!

Dear Lab Breeder:

My posts absolutely reek of agenda and purposely so. My agenda is that people do not have their personal property rights or privacy rights taken out from under them by what is usually referred to in legal circles as "Theft by Deception". I won't let various groups fly under false colors, claiming they do what they do for the sake of the dogs, when THEIR AGENDA is about reducing pet ownership and using these new proposed laws about the dogs as a means to that end.

The good thing is when people read our respective posts, they know by their content what my goals are AND what your goals are. I leave to the readers to decide whose agenda reeks the most!

Re: Re: Re: Of course it does!

>>The good thing is when people read our respective posts, they know by their content what my goals are AND what your goals are. I leave to the readers to decide whose agenda reeks the most!>>

It sounds to me that your posts are about cramming your opinion down people's throats. You're supposedly concerned about laws that, according to you, will do the same thing. It also sounds to me like you've got alot to lose if these laws do pass.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly My Point!

Why dear breeder, that is exactly my point. When these laws pass, everyone loses, except of course the animal rights people.

I suspect, as Red Birch has suggested, you belong in that latter group, although you think if you don't actually say that people will not realize it. You truly underestimate the people on this Forum.

I do encourage you to keep posting though. The more you say, the more people see who you are and what you really want, and that is exactly what I want to happen. It was to be expected that AR people would start trolling the dog website forums, interjecting why these restrictive laws should be passed "for the good of the dogs". Your posts have shown the Forum readership just how pervasive your groups have become, and why we all need to pull together to protect our rights as owners and breeders. I am busy at this point, so I won't be responding any more. I will cede you the last word, which I am sure you will take. I won't however, ever stop my efforts to throw a bright spotlight on your misguided agenda to end pet ownership whenever possible. See ya!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

>>The good thing is when people read our respective posts, they know by their content what my goals are AND what your goals are. I leave to the readers to decide whose agenda reeks the most!>>

It sounds to me that your posts are about cramming your opinion down people's throats. You're supposedly concerned about laws that, according to you, will do the same thing. It also sounds to me like you've got alot to lose if these laws do pass.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly My Point!

I'm no more of an AR than you are Devil's Advocate. There's something very suspicious about your sarcastic posts. You're all about being right and when you're backed into a corner with questions you can't answer you pull out the "you must be PETA or HSUS" routine. It's getting old. Sooner or later there will be ordinances passed that are for the dogs because what people like you are trying to do isn't working. Our dogs are dying everyday while you grip about your rights.