Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Buyers Come Back

Is it just me? I have yellows available and no inquires at all. This is very unusual…I usually have more than I can handle for yellows. Just wondered if this is going on all over.

Re: Puppy Buyers Come Back

No, not here. I have a waiting list a mile long for yellow females. Although I do have a chocolate litter of 8 right now (5 boys, 3 girls). The boys are all sold and I have girls available. THAT is a first for me!

Re: Re: Puppy Buyers Come Back

I have a list for yellow females too...2 miles long! LOL

Re: Re: Re: Puppy Buyers Come Back

Out of a small litter of 4, I still have one little black boy left and that is with me keeping my pick girl. I"ve never had a problem placing my puppies, no matter what color or sex. Then I've been getting inquires from people wanting to know if they can make payments with a $500 down payment. What do I look like, a "Car Lot " I don't think $950 is too much to ask for a top quality puppy in our area.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy Buyers Come Back

I had someone ask to make payments too.
One guy asked he if paid "cash" could he get a 20% discount.
Another person wanted to trade me an old beater of a car for a pup.
Your price and mine is very fair.
A friend of mine has a yellow and black left and no buyers either. I think people must be on vacation or something.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy Buyers Come Back

My last litter was yellows and blacks. I never had any problems with placing pups. I have a waiting list so most of my puppies that I choose to place already have a home waiting. The litter was whelped in the early part of the year though.
Maybe the summer season makes it difficult where you live. I live outside of Phoenix and it's just too darn hot for me to breed a litter in the summer. Mom and babies suffer too much. I plan my litters early in the year or late fall early winter.

Nope no shortages here! I haven't even done my upcoming breeding yet and already have quite a nice waiting list for my all yellow litter.

I'm in California.

Dianne

Over the years, I have noticed that there are lots of buyers looking for puppies when school lets out. Teachers generally look for a pup when they are home in the summer. Once those early summer pups are placed, there is a definite drop in the number of calls. I think many people have plans for the summer and they wait to get a pup until after Labor Day.

I've gotten calls the last couple of weeks from people looking for yellow females. They seem surprised that you may have to be on a list and that breeders don't have them available NOW!

I love the calls "what litters do you have available now?" They're shocked when I say I have only one litter a year. It's scary that they think we have multiple litters available all the time! Makes you think they don't even look at your website.

Re: Re: Re: Puppy Buyers Come Back

Same here, slow, the economy is getting the best of some folks. I have 3 other breeder friends, same with them, Now if I wanted to ship in 80 degree heat they would all be gone.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy Buyers Come Back

man I wish I had 80 degree heat here!
Mid 90s every day are kinda getting me down lately.
I am so ready to move to NC:)
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy Buyers Come Back

I should have said 80 degrees PLUS, it's been hot here in the NE too but not as hot as the South, try and stay cool.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy Buyers Come Back

UGH!
Trust me we are trying! So much so that the power company must really adore us:)
I literally only let the puppers out in the daytime to pee and thats it...they are back at the door within minutes panting...then its into the kitchen when they plop down on the tile for a handful of ice cubes.

I am sure others do this as well, but I will pass it on for anyone who hasn't tried it yet...on a hot day after you will up your baby pool/s try adding some big blocks of ice! (little ones melt too fast, I use a square tupperware container to make them) I dump a couple in there and watch the fun. They are nice and slippery so no one can seem to get a good grip on them and they just splash around and get nutty.
It is pretty yukky however when they manage to get one and drag it over to a pile of sand or somesuch, but hey....as long as they have fun!
Annie

I am new to this forum and I find it very interesting as I have only been breeding Labs for 4 years but have a mentor who has been doing it for over 30. I had just three yellow pups in our last litter, all females, sold one, kept a great one, and can't sell the third. Very odd for a yellow female. Can anyone give me ideas on what has been the most successful way to advertise your pups? I don't usually need to place an ad and they're usually all gone by 7 weeks but not this time. She's adorable but not what we're looking for to show. I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks