Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whelping Box ?

Hi all,

We're planning our first litter for next year, and we're getting our check list for supplies and things we will be needing. Well , on top of the list is a whelping box and we want to make one. How big should one be for an avrg. size Labrador bitch(around 65 - 70 lbs) ? We were thinking 4'X4' would work, but we're not 100% sure. Also, does any one know of any sites that have blue prints or steps to follow to build one ? We are pretty sure how, it's not rock science, but we want to do it right.

Thanks !

Re: Whelping Box ?

If you go back through this forum there are oodles of ideas.

I would make it 5 x 4, gives Mom and puppies a bit more room to move around.

4X4 is too small. 4X5 is adequate, but if you're going to spend much time in with them during the first couple of weeks (especially if you have a big litter) I prefer a 5X5. I wound up sleeping in the whelping box with my last litter for the first 2-3 days because mom couldn't quite understand why squishing pups wasn't a good thing.

Thanks ! Yeah, we were thinking 4X4 would be a bit small too. Well Daisy came from a big litter, and so did both of her parents. The stud we did choose sires avrg. size litters(6 to 7 ). I think the litter size would be around 7 to 8, hopefully no more, but we'll be ready for the unexpected.

Re: Re: Whelping Box ?

HA! Never assume. I did when I bred one of my girls and a bitch I had leased last winter.....surely no more than 6 or 7 each, right? Hahahahaha! The joke was on me. I had 22 pups (litter of 12 and litter of 10) born 7 days apart. It was fun, but I don't think I will EVER do that again!

My hubby and I built our whelping box out of PVC nursery pig panels from a farm supply store. We used 4" pvc sewer pipe for the pig rails. Total cost was about $350.00 and it was a 4 x 5.. You can go to my website and see some shots of it to get an idea. Or e-mail with and I can give you more specifics. It is very easy to sanitize and quite light weight. I really like it.

Too bad you aren't closer. You could have mine. It is 4x6 and is very servicable and has a drop in potty pan. When I had a litter plus another whoops litter I got a baby pool for the 2nd litter. I'll never go back to the big whelping box again.

Sherry, I just sent you an E-mail.. Thanks !!!

Re: Re: Re: Whelping Box ?

Joan,
With the Baby pool do the puppy slide up and out of the way? I lost a pup to smothering Last time because one pup kept getting it's head stuck behind the rail and I took it out too soon, assuming that 6 pounds was a good size to remove the rail.

We have built several out of melamine shelving board (12" high), and 3" PVC pipe. Our's are 4 x 4 and have ample room. Of course if you had to sleep in the box it would probably be too small. I sleep in a bed next to it. The total cost was around $50. It is easy to clean and is working great for us. We have had several litters of 9 and there was plenty of room.

Re: Re: Re: Whelping Box ?

I use the pool as well, and have a round insert on pegs for a pigrail, it works great to also hold the sheets or blankets, since most Moms like to wrap the babies up.

Linda

Thank you all , for all of your suggestions. Sherry, Thank you again for all your help !! We went into town and got our quote for the supplies. We're starting prep. in August and should have every thing done in time. Thank you all again !

i use the JONART boxes they are high in price but they are EXCELLENT, washing is easy and the pig rail are square and perfect. they come apart with 4 bolts , so easy and fast. you can add on after they are older so they have a play area plus a spot to go potty. its perfect, we love them !!!!!!!!