Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elderly Lab

I have a 12 year old retired female. We got her from a breeder and we are her retirement home at age 7. I have often wondered if it would not have been better to get another retiree so they could keep each other company since she came from a situation where she was around furry family members all the time. Is it inapproprite to get another retiree now at her age? We love her dearly and just want her to be happy.

Re: Elderly Lab

I think if she likes other dogs and she is in good health, it would be wonderful for her to have a buddy!

I agree with getting her a senior buddy.

Absolutly, get her a friend. I placed an older female with a couple and when they found out I had another one available, they asked if they could have her because they felt that the one they had was lonely. It was great, they were raised together and now they are retired and growing old together.

Thank you for your responses. I was afraid that after being an "only" for 5 years, my special girl would not like another around. I forgot to ask, should it be another girl or a boy? Of course, I would get another older or senior dog. Two will be my limit because of the cost of health care for the senior - I will go as far as I possibly can to give them the best possible care I can. I HAVE FOUND MY CALLING - a retirement home for the senior lab. It is an amazing experience.

Re: Re: Elderly Lab

Fran you are an angel!! Homes like yours are not easy to find when we make the decision to retire one of our veterans.
Most people want young, perfect puppies and cannot appreciate the love of an oldie!

Re: Re: Re: Elderly Lab

Thanks Lab Lover - I am an "oldie" too and even though I work out, I don't want a dog that can outwalk me!! HA - She does anyway. We both work but because of our schedules, she is left alone only an hour a WEEK, of course unless I go shoe shopping.
Any suggestion on the male/female companion choice for her?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Elderly Lab

Fran, get your old gal a boy. Females like to be the boss as we bitches know.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Elderly Lab

I think either sex is fine. Labs are so versatile. The main thing is they get along so if you find one, make sure the breeder will allow you to bring your girl with you for introductions!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Elderly Lab

Thank you all so much for your time and ideas. I am not a breeder, as you can tell, but have learned so much from reading through this forum. I have nothing but deep respect for all of you and your very hard, from the heart work. And I must say, the lab breeder websites are exceptional, informative, and enjoyable. Keep up the good work and keep us nonbreeders informed. God bless you all.

In 2005, Labrador Retriever Rescue Ontario placed with me a 14 year old boy whose family had dumped in him the shelter. He'd been a seeing eye dog, so had never lived with another dog.

I'm sure Ricky enjoyed my company, but he was far more pleased at having a brother to play with, harass and love. Please do get your girl a companion. I know that it made Ricky's last year far brighter.