Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Male pup question

At what week do you usually check for testicles to have dropped ? Is it usually by 6 weeks, 8 weeks and when do you worry ? Are some lines just slower ? Know I will get alot of good experience with this one, but need to know.

Re: Male pup question

I recently did some research on this because I had a male pup that hadn't dropped one by the time he was 14 weeks old. Basic consensus was that they should drop by the time the pup is 8 weeks old, but if they haven't, don't panic. The 2 vets I spoke with said they don't want to see a puppy with undescended testicle(s) before 4 months of age. I had made an appointment with our repro vet for the day my pup turned 16 weeks old and a week later, when he was 15 weeks old, they were both there. So they can and do drop later.

Re: Re: Male pup question

Hi!

I thought my young boy would never have 2. They did both drop, but I think he was close to 4 mos. I wouldn't worry yet.

Donna

Just curiouse, what if niether testi had desended? Would you worry then?

Oh yes, I would worry and been to the vet by probably 5 or 6 mos.

Donna

I had a male in my last litter that did not drop one testicle by 9 months when buyers vet spayed (vet didn't want to wait). The testicle was atrophied and there was no vas defference (sp).

I know of one pup that didn't drop until 6 months of age.

Any info on whether these boys with late descending testicles will be viable producers??
Will they produce male offspring with the same condition?

I start to look at 6-7 weeks and worry if they are not there at 8 weeks. Our repro vet is of the opinion that if they are not both there at 8 weeks that it is more than likely that they won't come down. Not to say that they won't - only that the odds are against them to come down later. There is a synthetic hormone that can help to bring them down (in some cases). That would still leave the question regarding heredity.

From everything I've read, some boys are just slower to drop, so if both testicles have dropped by around 6 months of age, the dog will be fertile and have no lasting effects. A dog can be fertile with just one teste. However, if the second never drops and has to be surgically removed, that dog should not be bred because it is a heritable condition.

Re: undescended testicle hereditary

It is often likely that a male will pass this trait on. IMO, I would breed a male that didn't have both testicles descended by 8 weeks with caution ... ie. be prepared for this to crop up in some male pups. I just had a cryptorchid boy neutered and he has 3 small incisions from the "hunt". It is a pain, so buyers would need to beware that the pups may never drop.

Only 2 males in a litter, and testicles could not be felt at 7 weeks old by vet, nor at grading by breeder friends. Thse were very roly poly puppies, and vet did say sometimes it is difficult to feel so young on chunky puppies. I then read somewhere on the net an article about only having one testicle down at that approximate age on rolly polly puppies, the article said to get them out lots to romp and play and let gravity work in your favor, so that's what we did. Held on to both boys till 11 weeks because both looked very promising.
At about 9 weeks, was sure I felt the second one down in both, when they were in for 2nd shots at close to 11 weeks, vet confirmed both had two testicles down.

<< Only 2 males in a litter, and testicles could not be felt at 7 weeks old by vet, nor at grading by breeder friends. >>

Ooops meant to write "second testicles cont not be felt".