Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need advice

About a year or so ago I sold a puppy to a man claiming he was just starting out in the breeding business. As it turns out he was grossly misrepresenting himself. While he does not have a lot of dogs he does have some. My biggest concern is that I sold him a puppy from one of my show lines and as it turns out he breeds field lines. It is not so much that I am concerned about this, but he is involved in silver and charcoal. Now he wants another to breed to the puppy I got from him. On one hand I am thinking no way, but am also concerned that if I don't he will breed my girl to a silver or charcoal or something that is less quality. One solution I could see is making him sign an affidavit that the only breedings to be done with my dogs will be to each other and not intermingled with these other colrs. I don't know if an agreement like this would be binding, but it seems like an option. Anyone have any advice on what I should do? Thanks.

Re: Need advice

what about explaining this is not what you had planned and offering to buy back your girl?

Re: Re: Need advice

I WOULD NEVER SELL HIM ANOTHER THING... PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Need advice

I don't think the issue is "field" versus "show." The issue is that he doesn't follow breeding practices you are comfortable with.

If you can't get your female back, live with your mistake and move on. DO NOT sell another dog to him--pretty naive of you to think he will ONLY breed your two to each other. You cannot control him with a document--he will do what he wants.

MK

This is why I sell on limit reg. The only way someone gets full is with a co-own so things like this will not happen.

I would try to get your girl back and there is no way I would sell him anything else.

If he lied to you before when purchsing the first pup from you, than why should you believe him when he says he wants another to breed to that pup? He is probably planning to breed both these pups to any other dogs he wants, he just wants to get another pup from you because he likes your dogs and probably had a hard time purchasing that type of quality from other breeders because of his situation and obvious deception, so he's telling you what he thinks you want to here. Don't fall for it. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Isn't that what they say?

Even if he's telling the truth and only plans to breed the two together and not to his other "colors," first of all, you can't know that for sure, secondly, you're still trusting a man who lied to you before, and last but not least, how many dogs with your kennel name & line do you want him breeding given his difference is breeder ethics?

If it were me, I'd say no, unless MAYBE, you had a co-ownerhip agreement with him, but even that can be a big PIA.

Good Luck!

This is a Troll! He just wants to see how many emotional responses he can get to his "question".

If you already sold him the first dog with full registration, you have no right to ask him to sign anything limiting what types of dogs he can breed her to. She belongs to him now and he can breed her to whoever he wants. I suppose you could ask, but don't expect him to agree to it. If you aren't comfortable with him and his breeding practices, absolutely do not sell him another pup. If he won't sell you back the pup you sold to him, you need to chalk this up to a learning experience and move on.

Unless you have stipulations in your contract, HE decides who will be a stud for the female!

If you were concerned about what type he would breed, you needed to have determined that in advancce of the sale. Really, it is too late now!

Other than offering to buy back, you will likely have to accept things for what they are and move on. If there were no stipulations in your contract, he will most certainly not sign anything now that will "restrict him".

Good luck!

I would agree with Bev's response, but should warn you that the buyer might get offended if you make any hint or suggestion about his breeding practices (I'm probably already preaching to the choir on that one). I like to think positively and that good could come of this; it just might be your turn (and opportunity) to be a mentor. The puppy has been sold (on open registration) so THAT is water under the bridge and in the land of no-going-back. Don't beat yourself up over that, just know it is a lesson learned and try to proceed from there by inquiring if he has gotten all of your girl's clearances. If he hasn't and doesn't know about them, educate him. If he has gotten the clearances (or plans to), find out what he is striving for in his planned breeding of your girl. Maybe he is scrapping his entire labrador breeding program and is starting all over from scratch (such as he doesn't like the "field" type and his striving for the "show" type)? It will take a longer discussion and perhaps more than one. It will probably require a bit of tact to get the information (I know, it's hard not be judgmental sometimes - we all have times where we want to pull our hair out with some of the calls we get). Find out what his intentions are. Is he wanting a certain "look"? Trying to correct a fault he has in his own line (or even starting all over)? Strengthen something in his current line? Maybe he is absolutely in love with her temperment and wants a mini-me...you never know. There is always the possibility that he is wanting to breed her solely for the purpose of selling puppies (and producing more) and you have to be prepared for that answer and not react (negatively)to it. So, let's assume that he is really trying to better the breed and has honest pursuits, you could offer to help him find an appropriate stud dog for your girl to help him on the road to accomplish what he wants, suggesting that he attend a specialty to see what dogs are out there, check out websites, look at LQ, etc. Then offer to help him review pedigrees, etc. If he blows you off and is insistent that he wants to BUY a dog from you and doesn't need your help, etc., you'll just have to tell him that you "don't have a dog available for sale on open registration". You can always offer to buy back your girl, but you might find that is not necessary Good luck.

I don't really know if this person is a Troll or not but it doesn't matter because some good information is being given here that will benefit others. When we make these mistakes we learn valuable lessons. What we do to try to prevent this from happening to us is sell all of our pups on an AKC Ltd. registration. Our show/breeding pups only go to breeders we know or who can give us references from two breeders we know and respect. We do not take their Veterinarian as a reference. I feel the person should be involved in Labradors for a period of time in some way before wanting to become a breeder and/or a person who wants to go into the conformation ring. They can be involved in obedience or agility or rally or something that helps them learn about dogs before they even attempt to start a breeding program. I don't think it is a hobby that should be taken lightly as it is a responsibility.
Judy

Surely you can't be serious about having an ongoing relationship with someone who has misrepresented themselves to you?

Kim - I know it is hard to swallow, staying in touch with someone who has lied to you, but consider this, what other choice do you have if you are truly concerned about your puppy? Maintaining SOME kind of contact, I think, is better than none at all. I don't like the situation any better than you do, however, you have to work with what you have been handed.

"I know it is hard to swallow, staying in touch with someone who has lied to you, but consider this, what other choice do you have if you are truly concerned about your puppy? Maintaining SOME kind of contact, I think, is better than none at all. I don't like the situation any better than you do, however, you have to work with what you have been handed."

Others may find it too maddening and/or painful to continue to deal with someone who has lied to them about anything but your explanation is very worthy also.