Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Reunion

Hello All!
Thought I would ask if anyone can help me with some good ideas for our puppy reunion coming up at the end of the month.
I would love any silly contest ideas and such...I already have the obvious ones, best sit, down, down stay etc. One owner wants a peanut butter apple bobbing contest:)
Also, any ideas about ribbons and where I can get some?
I was thinking of going to Joanns and just trying to make some myself, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
I am so thrilled one of our families has been wanting to host this almost since they got their little girl at their horse farm and hubby is a BBQ caterer so i just know it will be a great time for all our families.
Any of you who were kind enough to offer me support during the time I had this litter can probably understand my deeper than normal attachment to every pup in the litter.
This litter was a huge turning point in my life and an event that made me see that this was what I truly wanted to do no matter how hard it could get.
Sorry to be mushy
Annie

Re: Puppy Reunion

there are alot of really cute ribbons at the local Dollar Store here in NH.....ya may want to check yours....

How about a high school yearbook theme? Class clown, homecoming queen, most likely to succeed. If you had each family write something up about their pups personality ahead of time you could choose the awards for each pup, that way nobody gets left out. You could really have fun with it I think.
As far as ribbons, I've seen them at party suppy stores and craft stores.

You could also do ... longest tail, biggest ears etc, etc...

I love dog games. We always have birthday parties for our service dog pups.

Tic Tac Toe - You make a tic tac doe area with rope, leashes or whatever you can find. Divide into two teams. Flip a coin to see who goes first. The first team picks a square and leaves the dog in a down or sit(whichs is decided before you start). Then the next team picks a square. The catch is that if the dog breaks the sit or down they lose the sqaure. It is a very fun game.

Dog scrabble - You need to kids letter blocks. Again you divid into teams. Put all the blocks in the middle of everyone. Each team sends one player at a time to retrieve a block and bring back past the start line. You can a a set time limit or until all blocks are recieved. It really depends on how hard you want to make it. When the time is up or all blocks taken, teams will try to make as many words as possible before time runs out (ususally 2 minutes but again you can make your on rules). This can be played so many different ways.

Train the trainer: To start you need to make up a bunch of silly commands. exp: touch your head, sit, lay down, touch your right foot.
Then each person gets a partner. They have to draw a trick out of the hat. You can not tell them what to do. You have to train like you would a dog. You may say things like good boy/girl,so close, try again. You may lure them with a treat. You can NOT do the trick yourself.

You can either make each sucessful trick a point or you can assign a certain number of points for each trick and have 3 differnet piles worth a different amount. Whichever team had the most points wins.

We have do to this in train to see how hard it can be for our dogs, since they do not speak english.

I could go on and on but I should go back to doing my work. These were just a cuople of the funniest. If I think of anymore I will post later or just email you.

Dayna

Re: Re: Puppy Reunion

You could go to the Goodwill and get some clothes and do a relay race where the owners have to dress themselves and their dogs.
There is actually a board game of sorts for dog games out there somewhere that has a lot of good ideas. I think it's called My Dog Can Do That??

Re: Re: Re: Puppy Reunion

I am on my way out and will write more in a bit but wanted to say thanks for the wonderful ideas!!!
I LOVE the class idea as I was thinking I wanted EVERYONE to get one:)
Annie