Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Camera Killer

I just bought the Olympus C-7000 Zoom 7.1 MP and I don’t know much about digital cameras.
The problem I’m having is the camera is so slow between pictures.
Every time I have the shot I try to take the picture and it takes about 3 seconds before it takes the picture. Forget about taking another picture right after that.

Is there an adjustment or am I doing something wrong to make the camera so slow. I had a much less expensive Olympus and it was quick between shots.

Needless to say…..Taking my pups stacked pictures has become a nightmare.
The camera problem and the fighting with my husband make me dread picture-taking time.

Any help would be appreciated with the camera problem....the spouse problem is all mine

Re: Camera Killer

Bet the folks on the DPreview Olympus Talk forum could give you an answer!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1008

Re: Re: Camera Killer

I would turn off the flash if you haven't already. Then make sure you have enough lighting to take the pictures with out the flash.

Re: Re: Re: Canon Rebel XTi ??

I think I will buy a new camera.

Does any one have the Canon Rebel XTi 10.1MP?

If a little more money will save me the headaches ...it's well worth it!

I borrow a Canon Rebel EOS and it is great. It has an action setting and I get a tons of pix quickly and have to edit a bunch out. It is hard to take a bad shot as long as my dog is stacking well. Love this camera!
A

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon Rebel XTi ??

Don't have this camera, but I did a ton of research when I bought my Nikon D80. You'd be best served by going into a store where you can try the Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc to see which fits your hand best and is most comfortable to hold.

Nikon's just released a new camera - the 40Dx. That one is well worth checking out; it's a 10mp, and the body is tiny. Costco has a nice package.

Don't know if it will help with your camera, but if you're memory card is a SD type, try a better SD card... I got the SanDisk Extreme III and the write speed is very fast and the camera is ready for the next shot.

You might try turning off the automatic review setting (not sure exactly what it's called), but you know how there's a setting usually where the last picture taken automatically shows up in the LED screen... turn that off so that you have to press the Review button to see pics already taken. That might speed it up.

I just checked out a few online review sites for your model camera. Most say there is very little shutter lag, although though one review did say there was excessive shutter lag in low-contrast illumination situations.

I would just try some different setting modes and get to know the camera and experiment in different light settings. Most places give you 30 days to return... so just try to get to know the camera and it's settings before returning.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon Rebel XTi ??

I agree with this. Its always best to make sure the new camera fits your hands. I have a Canon XT which is the same size as my old print Canon EOS Rebel. Plus all my old lenses work on the DSLR. I'm a Canon person, always have been, but the Nikons are great cameras too.

If you can't afford or don't think you will use one enough, what is a good one that has faster time to catch the shot. My old one has alot of sutter lag and I miss so many shots. But does not cost the $500 to $1,200 you all are talking about. Just a good little camera but quicker.

Was just reading another review on your camera, and it does say the shot to shot speed is about 3 seconds... so maybe not the camera for what you want.

My Canon Powershot S3 has shot to shot speed of 1.43 seconds. Very happy with it.

I have a Canon Sure Shot. If I just snap the picture it does take about three seconds -- which drives me crazy! However, if I barely press the button (with my camera this causes the focusing and light meter stuff to show up in the view) I can then fully press the button when I am ready to take the picture and it is instantaneous.

Johanne

Shot to shot speed can be lessened with some cameras by using pre-focus (pressing the botton half way), but in my thinking, you still lose time between getting pics considering the extra time it now taks for pre-focus.
I leave my camera on continuous focus (no noticeable shutter lag) and the 1.43 second delay shot to shot is something I could live with, but I believe since I'm using the SanDisk Extreme Card, the camera is not taking even that long to write to the memory card (even at the largest file size/higher megapixel setting).

Doesn't it drive ya crazy all this stuff you learn only after the fact! Actually, I did research after I bought my Kodak DX7440, which I love for a pocket camera... but then I wanted something a bit more advanced to play with, and I learned shutter lag and shot to shot speeds were something I needed to compare in cameras, among other things of course, to suit my intended usage.

You might also check to see if your camera has a "burst" setting for firing off a series of pics rapidly. But keep in mind, after that series is fired off, it still needs to write to memory.. so somewhere, so no getting around the fact that you have to give it time to write at some point. I know some breeder friends who always use the "burst" setting when taking stacked photos of puppies.

i agree with Johanne. I was oing to suggest this technique myself. With my own camera it is somewhat slow but this technique works well you just have to wait for the right shot. I sacrificed some other attributes for immense optical zoom, te reason being that I have found some of my adult dogs strike fantastic poses far away from me when we are out for loose walks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried the pre-focus method and it works but I sometimes mess it up and have to be so ready for the next picture.
I'm going on a camera hunt today - Costco and Cal's cameras for more education.

Thanks for looking up my model camera ...me thinks I bought the wrong camera for my needs. I'll let you all know what I learn today.

Tata

We bought the Canon EOS 20D a couple of years ago and we love it. A bit expensive, but when you're used to the shutter speed of a 35mm - it's wonderful.

I also just got rid on my Olympus point and shoot and bought the Nikon D80 (digital). Awesome camera but a little expensive. The D40x as someone mentioned is also a great camera if you are comfortable with the 35mm platform. It takes really good pictures and there is not lag time when you depress the shutter button. And you can take about 3 shots per second.

What do you mean "comfortable with the 35mm platform." Is it not a digital camera? I know I'm ignorant when it comes to photography. LOL

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I also just got rid on my Olympus point and shoot and bought the Nikon D80 (digital). Awesome camera but a little expensive. The D40x as someone mentioned is also a great camera if you are comfortable with the 35mm platform. It takes really good pictures and there is not lag time when you depress the shutter button. And you can take about 3 shots per second.

Re: Re: Re: Camera Killer

I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 and it is fast, not very expensive, great photos and a 12x zoom. I've had 3 other digital cameras, spent a lot more money for them and I wouldn't trade my Lumix for animal photography.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon Rebel XTi ??

I have a Canon Rebel XTi 10.1 mpx that I've had for about 6 mos, and I love it. It is very user-friendly for me- as a previous Canon digital point-and-shoot camera owner, I have some experience with their symbols and whatnot- and has some great pre-set settings as well as manual abilities. One of my favorites for dog shows is the "sports" setting- it can take fantastic action shots at a rate of 3 frames per second.

Anyhow, I just inherited a 50-year-old Canon from my in-laws, and unfortunately, the lenses don't fit, but I think it is because of the age of the camera (they are smaller in diameter than the newer Canons). Just one, really good lens is my next "big" purchase. I like the kit lens, but it doesn't do well with things really close or really far away.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Camera Killer

I love my Nikon D40 SLR!! It takes awesome pictures, and you can even crop and resize and all the fun edit options right on the camera!!

Jen

Re: Re: Re: Camera Killer

check out the sony a100,,, you will need the 18-200 for dog shows and taking stacked puppy pics.

You can set it to take spontaneous pictures unlimted. I take a lot of shots my kids riding motor cycles, jumping,, the quality is unreal

I create websites and take many dog pictures!

I can give online lessons.. ha ha

You might want to look into the Olympus Evolt 500 with the kit lens. It comes with a 14-45 & 40-140 lens for about $600. The camera has a 4/3's format which means that the 14-45 lens becomes a 28-90 mm lens. The same with the 40-140 lens. It becomes a 80-280 lens. The colors are outstanding. I have owned it for a little over a year.

Jack

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon Rebel XTi ??

I also have the Canon Rebel XTI and love it. I bought it because it shoots bursts and there isn't that annoying delay.... but it is heavy.