Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
full size van, I need input

I am considering selling my grand caravan and getting a full sized van. I am not really sure what I will be gaining. Can anyone tell me how many crates you can put in a full size van? Do you have the one w/ double doors on both size and how important do you think that is? Do they have rear air? Ford, Chevy or GMC?

So far I have just looked on line at what was for sale and prices.

TIA

Re: full size van, I need input

I traded in my Mazda MPV for a full size van. We took out the chairs and customized it for the dogs. I can get 8 full size crates inside but remember we lost the rear seating. We bought a Chevy. Good luck!

I don't have one now but I've had two in the past. One was a Ford the other a Dodge. Both worked GREAT! I had the double doors on one side and double doors on the back. I could easily fit 12 crates, six 400's on the bottom then if needed six 300's stacked on top of the 400's. I would sinch strap or bungee the 300's to the 400's and never had a problem with them moving or sliding. Now of course if your in a wreck, dog forbid, that might be an issue but if you're in a wreck you've got troubles anyway. My Ford had A/C in the back the Dodge only up front but it cooled the entire Van just fine. Both my Van's were window vans too. I liked the ability to see out all around.

This household is on its third full sized, extended Dodge Ram Van. They don't make them anymore. Our latest one has AC front and back(and heat) and once we took all the passenger seating out, I know I could easily get 8 400 Vari's along one side(Stacked) and we could put 2 500's across the back. The current van is a modified Mark 3 with a raised cap. While its a bit of a pig on gas, I do enjoy driving it but only would recommend its usage for long hauls on highways or if you are taking more than what you could get in your grand Caravan(we have one of those also) regularly. The worst thing about Dodge, trans tend to go but once you have them rebuilt, to be honest, ours have the body giving out before the engine does:) Our has two double doors side and back. Ended up buying in the US also as the choice here in Canada was very slim given they are hard to come by.

Am I Crazy -- I am looking at a grand caravan right now. How many crates are you able to get into yours?

Johanne

Re: Re: full size van, I need input

I love to borrow my son's full size van. If I stack them, I can fit 10 crates in the van. Ummm. No, I wouldn't want to take 10 dogs, but it could be done. You'd have to lift at least one dog in from the rear. The rest could jump in. His van has only the two front seats, but that has not been an issue for me. His van is a Chevy.

4 crates fit into the Dodge Grand Caravan and the Chrysler Town & Country. Crate sizes are 24x48. In my opinion, the Town & Country is FAR better than the Dodge product even though they are the same van except for some luxuries like stabilizers, interior etc.

I have always had full sized vans and I love them. I bought a F350 ford van with a V10 and took out all but the driver and passenger. I can get 8 400 size crates on the floor and if I use my stackable crates( just a small bit shorter than the reg 400) I can get more. But I have found that I use it for much more than just dogs and I love it. I never carry more than 2 people anyway.

About a year and a half ago I got a full size Ford E150 van. It's been great. I got it from a wholesaler - off lease. It had 17000 miles and was $15000. It's a passenger van (vs cargo) because I was told that it had better insulation. Plus it has tinted windows. I took out the seats and use the seatbelt anchors to attach heavy duty rubber tie down straps to the crates. I can fit 2 500 varikennels facing backwards, plus some smaller crates on top of them, and I can stack at least 6 30" wire crates (3 on top of 3) facing the side door, plus a couple of smaller crates if needed. I've used all sorts of configurations depending on the sizes and numbers of dogs I was taking along. Next time I will buy the E350 extended model, but I'm very happy with this one. Check eBay for the wholesalers, and ignore the eBay listings. It's just advertising for them, but you can go to their web sites and see their inventory. I flew one way from Albany, NY to Palm Beach, FL for about $100, and drove it back over 2 1/2 days. The price was WAY worth it.

Re: Re: Re: full size van, I need input

Why do you like the Town and Country better?

Johanne

For those of you who like the full sized van what is your experienc with it in the snow? Often times I am driving from SLC to Denver in the early spring or late fall and easily get wholloped with a doozy of a snowstorm. That's why I really like my front wheel drive van -- have never had a problem slipping and sliding with it.

Also, how do they fare on slippery roads when they are empty?

Johanne

I put 2 400 pet porters and 2 450 furarris. I have the fold & go seats. I can line the up all on one side or have 2 lined up behind the passenger seat and 2 facing out the back.

I think you mean 24 X 36. I know you could not get four 48" crates in a minivan.

If money were no object, I would get the exact vehicle I have now, only new. I drive a 1990 Ford E-250 Extended 4 Wheel Drive High Top Conversion Van. Best dog vehicle ever. I can put more crates than I ever would want to. The high top makes it easy to stack, if I have to, which is rare. But, it stays so cool in there! I have a roof vent/window, and it never gets hot. It has part time 4 wheel drive (NOT All Wheel Drive)That is not available off the line. You have to have the 4 wheel drive conversion done by a company in PA. called Quigley. It is GREAT in the snow! I love it, and hope to be driving it another 17 years! I don't like sliding doors on the side...I like the barn doors. Tinted windows that can open, with shades, and my dogs stay cool. Love it! But, alas....money IS an object. Damn.

Corey, Gotta say that is the ONE thing I do not l love about my son's van - the barn doors. I can't tell you how many times I have had trouble opening them all the way in a parking lot. The sliding doors are never a problem that way.

Glad some one posted this as the dogs are still undecided on that new ride. But I'm also interested in the E series Vans the passenger vans been checking them out.
All though most of the time we don't take alot of dogs to the show.But always seem to over pack.

I have never owned a mini van till now. we have 2004 winstar That will be selling out right instead of a trade in. Nice looking car.I can get 4 wire crates in it or 2 wires and 2 #500 plastic still have room for the gear. if the seats are out.

Down to a Freestar or possible a full size van.
I will have to say have had no mechanical problems what so ever with the freestar. Been fantastic.

We are also looking for a van. Would like a used Chevy maybe. Hard to find a nice used passsenger van. Can you tell me if you can fit the one with the high top in the garage?

Love my GMC Savana conversion van with the high top. We did have to have the garage opening and door made higher.

We are also looking for a van. Would like a used Chevy maybe. Hard to find a nice used passsenger van. Can you tell me if you can fit the one with the high top in the garage?

As for snow, the Ford E150 isn't as good as a front wheel drive, but I got used to it pretty quick. Plus it has a higher clearance underneath, so it came in handy driving through 2 feet of snow in NYC for Westminster 2006. I also do hunt tests, and some of the "roads" you have to drive on are pretty rough, and it's great there too. The van is basically a pickup truck with a different body. One thing that is a lot different, even than my minivan, is that it is very sensitive to wind. Gotta keep both hands on the wheel.

I don't know, because we haven't had a vehicle in our garage, well, ever. It is my husbands workshop. I doubt mine would fit in, though...because it has the 4 wheel drive conversion, and is higher than normal. A regular hightop van might, though.

Well Thats the thing with the more of the high profile vans. Is there top heavy. But still very light.So they will blow over easier.

I stated here before I have a Chevy Express Work Van.
I have fit 4 adult sized Mastiffs, 1 Lab and 4-6 Chihuahuas in it in one trip.
I have never tried to stack crates but I am certain I could if needed.
I went to a show a couple weeks back and we got 7 Labs in the van with 4 crates.
Two 5 mo old pups in one, and two other crates are big enough for 2 adult dogs comfortably.
So I can get about 6-8 dogs in my van if needed and with some work
While I do not have back seats, I don't care. It is my dog van. I am sure you can outfit one with seats that can be removed.

Actually our Mark 3 here was an Ebay buy. The second time my boss's husband has purchased. We flew from Buffalo to Dallas TX to pick it up and drive it home.

*dreams* of a Sprinter(custom doggy interior) but then I woke up.

Re: Re: scary ? what is the gas mileage

I get great gas mileage w/ my mini van. 22 city/ 24 highway.
What do you get fully loaded w/ dogs. My husband has a full size truck but it is 4wheel dr. so not a good comparison

Re: Re: Re: scary ? what is the gas mileage

I have one vehicle, a '97 Chevie Express passenger van with the rear seats removed. Having had both Dodge and Ford full size vans in the past, I can vouch for the handiness of the Chevie. It's much more aerodynamic, better mi./gal. and no swaying on windy bridges. For a rear wheel drive/non-slip differential vehicle, it handles well in the snow, but you can order them with all-wheel drive as well. I prefer barn-door side doors so a tarp can be draped and clamped over them when open, providing a rain roof as well as maximum ventilation in wet weather. It's a 1500, the smallest engine for this van, which is plenty of power to haul a bunch of dogs and all kinds of gear.